Problem with the HD4770

vbimport

Can you help me with the HD4770 (ATI Radeon Saphire HD 4770 (512 MB)). My system keeps on crashing when i use a little graphical power (e.g. outlook and a movie = crash or moving the playing movie around = crash or only skype with cam = crash).

I installed the latest version of the drivers but no solution. I have enough power (Cooler Master 640W), i have the extra power-cord on the card, the fan is working, the card is not getting to warm. Crashes can happen when the computer is still cold in the morning.

Some additional information:

• Motherboard: Asus P5VDC-X (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
  • Video card ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512 MB)
  • DIMM1: 2X Kingston 1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 Mhz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 Mhz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 Mhz)
  • Monitor Dell E172FP [17" LCD] (P144646NCEA7)

When crashes occur there are 3 possibillitys:

• black screen and nothing is happening (mist of the time)
  • black screen and rebooting of video card followd by a request of sending an error report to amd (see attachments 3 of them)
  • blue screen that the computer must be rebooted due to probably this program: “ati2dvag”.

I know the hardware of the video card is ok because i have tested it on a other computer without a problem. Hopefully someone can give me some advice what i can do about it. I have the newest drivers for my video card (and have tried others as well with all the additional software), I have new drivers for my motherboard, I have installed XP several times. What have i missed?

please :iagree:

Have you ever had an nvidia card in that PC?

Sometimes installing the latest drivers isn’t enough.

Download the latest version of Driver sweeper HERE

1- Install driver sweeper
2- Go to add/remove programs and remove all AMD video software (DON’t reboot)
3- run driver sweeper, clean all old AMD video drivers, and old nvidia drivers, now reboot.
4- install latest AMD drivers from AMD website.

Thank you eric93se for your replay,

I think the computer is working a little bit better but it no final solution unfortunately. Do you have an other idea?

Did I forget to do something? Are there programs to determine what the problem could be?

kind regards,

Ruben

You can try uninstalling all adobe flash software (in add/remove), then download the latest adobe flash.

You can also try downloading the latest directx software.

I had a problem like that a long time ago with my very first ATi video card and a new system with
a fresh install of Windows 98 I was getting the same error as you (ati2dvag) or the black screen or
the black screen with a reboot and it turned out I had a bad card and had to RMA it for a replacement
and the replacement card worked like a charm afterwords.

Is your video card a brand new one or has it been working and just started doing it recently? If it has
been working up until now you may have something that is corrupting the drivers or you could have
a stick of your Kingston system Ram going bad.
The things I would try is

1. if the video card is new try to RMA it for another one
  2. if the video card was working ok up to now then run memtest on the system Ram and see if it has errors
  3. if all else fails then maybe a reinstall of XP as [U][B]a last resort.[/B][/U]

thanks Eric93se for your reaction,

i have got the DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c) and adobe flash player 10 (every time i reinstalled XP)

could it be due to the DIMM1: Kingston (1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM, i have got 2 of them), that they do not work properly? should i take out one? Let me rephrase that, could this rebooting thing be due to my memory or other hardware? Or is it more a software thing?

I have uploaded an error message on http://www.rkjanssen.nl/MyCe/ next to some of the EVEREST tests i did, hope this helps…

[QUOTE=getit29;2491491]
Is your video card a brand new one or has it been working and just started doing it recently? If it has been working up until now you may have something that is corrupting the drivers or you could have a stick of your Kingston system Ram going bad.

The things I would try is

1. if the video card is new try to RMA it for another one
  2. if the video card was working ok up to now then run memtest on the system Ram and see if it has errors
  3. if all else fails then maybe a reinstall of XP as [U][B]a last resort.[/B][/U][/QUOTE]

Thx getit29 for your reply
I know pretty shore that it is not the hardware of my video card that is going bad because I have tested the card in another computer (by a friend of mine) and there it was working very nice without a problem.
I have made my own system and from the start I have the problems that I described.
I was also thinking that it could be the RAM but how do I test that…

So run http://www.memtest.org/ like getit suggested. You burn a CD and boot to that CD and it will test your ram, let it run for ~30 minutes or more. If there are errors they will come up in red.

If you do get errors you might just need to adjust the memory voltage in your bios, only add a tiny bit at a time and re-run memtest to see if the errors are gone.

Apparently you need upgrade your BIOS and pray that VIA chipsets actually works as they should…
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?31266-HD-4670-compatiblity-issues&p=356630#post356630
//Danne

[QUOTE=eric93se;2491550]So run http://www.memtest.org/ like getit suggested. You burn a CD and boot to that CD and it will test your ram, let it run for ~30 minutes or more. If there are errors they will come up in red.

If you do get errors you might just need to adjust the memory voltage in your bios, only add a tiny bit at a time and re-run memtest to see if the errors are gone.[/QUOTE]

thanks Eric,

I tried the program and got one error message but for me it looks like Chinees to me :eek:

test 7
pass 0
Failing Address 000379aabcc 889.6 MB
Good cfdfca1b
Bad cfdfce1b
Count 1

Can someone make something out of this? :confused: is this serious?

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2491557]Apparently you need upgrade your BIOS and pray that VIA chipsets actually works as they should…
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?31266-HD-4670-compatiblity-issues&p=356630#post356630
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Thanks DiiZzY,

I have updated my Bios (BIOS version 0701) and this is the latest one i could find on the Asus site for the Asus P5VDC-X)

When I bought the card i looked at the slots
Motherboard Slots 3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGP
Card slot PCI-E x16
so hopefully this is compatible

thanks for your reactions! :bow:

Getting errors i memtest86 means that you most likely have a faulty memory stick or a broken motherboard. Try taking out one stick and run memtest again and see if any error pops up.
//Danne

You can’t have any errors when running memtest. So you have to make your system stable now. As I suggested, increase the voltage going to your RAM in the MB’s bios, do it in very small steps and run memtest again to see if the errors are gone. When you think its stable, let memtest run for 2 hours to make sure their are no errors. Do not go crazy increasing RAM voltage.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2491581] Do not go crazy increasing RAM voltage.[/QUOTE]

[U][B]Best advise you can get right there [/B][/U] :iagree: never jump it up all at once or you might be
in the market for new Ram or mobo or etc. etc.

If you do hit the max voltage on your Ram going up in small increments or just a tad over
and still have the errors then it is time to be looking into buying some new Ram.

Once I upgraded my main system to an i7-920, I encountered crashes with my HD4850. I am now suspecting that the latest Catalyst driver set, 10.1, had been rushed to release. The crashes occur primarily with the HD5xxx series, but may also occur with older cards. As a result, I would roll back to the Catalyst 9.xx driver set (perhaps all the way back to version 9.9, unless you have one of the newer cards which aren’t supported in a driver that old) until AMD comes out with the Catalyst 10.2 set.

The 10.1 works fine…
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2491873]The 10.1 works fine…
//Danne[/QUOTE]

It could also have been the memory that I used. Bad memory can cause crashes.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2491848]Once I upgraded my main system to an i7-920, I encountered crashes with my HD4850. I am now suspecting that the latest Catalyst driver set, 10.1, had been rushed to release. The crashes occur primarily with the HD5xxx series, but may also occur with older cards. As a result, I would roll back to the Catalyst 9.xx driver set (perhaps all the way back to version 9.9, unless you have one of the newer cards which aren’t supported in a driver that old) until AMD comes out with the Catalyst 10.2 set.[/QUOTE]

An update on this:

It was not the latest driver set - but bad (faulty) memory - which caused all those crashes, memory dumps and blue screens on my new rig. I had the entire load of RAM replaced at that point (switching from a set of OCZ Gold 8-8-8 to a more expensive set of Corsair 7-7-7, both sets rated at DDR3-1600 speed and 1.65V), and the system is now rock-stable. It seems as though the i7’s and i5’s on-die memory controller were rather picky about the quality of the installed RAM.

After this experience, I don’t think I would purchase a lower-end memory module from OCZ - at least not for the foreseeable future. The owner of a small computer shop a few miles from home agreed with me on this finding.

Also, it is better to purchase slow-speed high-latency RAM than a cheap set of high-speed low-latency RAM for the same price (as the former would almost always perform up to spec while the latter might not run stably even at lower speeds or higher/looser latencies than the manufacturer’s/vendor’s claim). If one wants a good set of high-speed low-latency RAM for headroom, that person shall be prepared to pay significantly more money than on a set of standard RAM. (In my particular case, however, it amounted to $10 additional per 2GB module.)

To the OP above:

The crashes in your system are almost certainly caused by bad (faulty or failing) system RAM, as I discovered.

So in other words, get memory that follows the JEDEC specifications.
//Danne

This weekend i had to spend some time with my girl friend so could not respond. :rolleyes:

I have changed the memory cards (probably they were not plugged in correctly :doh:) and did the memory test for 12 hours without an error so I think the MoBo and the memory cards are working fine right now. After that I reinstalled XP on my computer to begin with a clean start.

I have Catalyst 10.1 at the moment running (because other versions of Catalyst did not have a solution). Still the video card is rebooting when i move the VLC screen around when a movie is playing.

I think the memory cards and the mother board should be compatible (a friend used this MoBo and this memory cards together without a problem) or aren’t they?

Are there other checks I can do? Do the error reports mean anny thing? Why is he sending reports to SmartSave@ati.com? Is this a video card problem?

Thanks for all your help :clap:

Try using KMplayer to see if the problem persists.