Problem with subtitle on divx movie (.sup)

my girlfriend doesnt speak English very well so i added subtitles to my movie dvd’s. i converted the movies to divx with fair use wizard, i used subtitle workshop to sync subtitles and save them in a folder with the divx movie, the divx movie name is the same as the name on the text file (.sup) so thats not the problem, on my dvd player it works fine, but on hers it doesn’t (it supports divx and srt/sup files) i gave her about 15 dvd movies, all converted to divx and subtitles are .srt and .sup and only one doesnt work, i dont understand why just that one movie won’t display the subtitles.

Did you make sure the filename of the movie and the subtitling file are exactly the same?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;1919835]Did you make sure the filename of the movie and the subtitling file are exactly the same?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are exactly the same, it plays on my computer (windows media player) and it displays the subtitles, but the home dvd player won’t. they are all .sup and .srt files, but out of 15 movies, just one wont display the subs.

Does that movie by chance has a filename longer than 8 characters?

yes it does, THE GIRL NEXT DOOR. does it matter if its longer than 8? the other movies i sent also have long filename (for example; Sweet November) and she didnt have a problem turning on the subtitles for that one.

[QUOTE=CroZ24;1920490]yes it does, THE GIRL NEXT DOOR. does it matter if its longer than 8? the other movies i sent also have long filename (for example; Sweet November) and she didnt have a problem turning on the subtitles for that one.[/QUOTE]

Well, some devices have trouble with long filenames, spaces or weird characters. Perhaps you could try to rename the movie to 1.avi and the subtitling to 1.sup and see if the problem is solved.