Problem with Space Cowboys

vbimport

DVD Fab Platinum is not able to retrieve the dvd data for Space Cowboys. Any ideas? I am using the most current version 3.0.5.5. I tried with full disc and main disc a few times each. The DVD is scanned and I get the unreadable error. The disc itself is a good disc.

I just noticed 6 beta, installing it now, will let you know if I still have the problem :slight_smile:

Same problem with version 6. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but this dvd has:

PCFriendly © 1997-2000, InterActual Technologies, Inc.
Version 2.01.06 for Windows
(July 1999)

Maybe the above is interfering? I am attempting to copy the video_ts directory to my hard drive now hoping to be able to backup the movie that way. Once I have the files copied … how do I make my backup? I have only always made my backups directly from my DVDs.

space cowboys from 1990’s/early 2000…clint eastwood?..if so then that shouldn’t be an issue to rip…i’d use dvd decrypter…it’ll have that fix in it to take care of that disc

I bkup’d space cowboys with platinum sometime in '06…no problems.
Do you have autoplay enabled?
Interactual… is a form spyware and will attempt to install with autoplay enabled. It will create nothing but problems. Yes, it could be interfering. Uninstall it.

Hope this helps, let us know…

How do I see if I have autoplay enabled? My guess is I probably do because when I put the dvd in it automatically trys to install the InterActual … so how do I disable it?

InterActual Technologies, Inc. will conflict with DVDFab as it tries to install. It is a player on the movie DVD that tries to install when inserted in a DVD drive. That is the reason it is recommended to disable auto run on DVD Players. You are lucky that it was not a Sony DVD installing RootKill. Several state attorney generals have filed and won law suits against Sony for that one, buy Sony continues to try. RootKill will disable cd/dvd drives when you try to copy while Interactual Player just runs until you choose to not install. Be safe and disable auto run. It is best to do it in the registry and there are free programs that will do that for you. I have to go to the doctor. so don’t have time to find a link for you.

Mack

Thanks. I found a link online so that I could disable the autorun on my drive:

InterActual Technologies, Inc. will conflict with DVDFab as it tries to install. It is a player on the movie DVD that tries to install when inserted in a DVD drive. That is the reason it is recommended to disable auto run on DVD Players. You are lucky that it was not a Sony DVD installing RootKill. Several state attorney generals have filed and won law suits against Sony for that one, buy Sony continues to try. RootKill will disable cd/dvd drives when you try to copy while Interactual Player just runs until you choose to not install. Be safe and disable auto run. It is best to do it in the registry and there are free programs that will do that for you. I have to go to the doctor. so don’t have time to find a link for you.

All you have to do is hit don’t install when you insert a DVD. It just dont install it automatically.You still have to hit accept. Why is it spyware just because it try to install on autorun.

I like the player. My PC is a little older, and has a small graphic card. It plays movies great on my PC. Better than Power DVD which was sluggish. InterActual is a player made by the WinDVD guys.

On topic, Ive never had it interfere with fab. I have my DVD Rom drive set on Do nothing when a dvd is inserted. I then open fab and fab loads the movie. Ive had dvd’s with the software on it like spiderman. You just hit dont install when it trys to install. Also don’t have Fab autoplay when a dvd is inserted. Uncheck that.

Why indeed? I never said that it is spyware because it asks to load on autoplay. You said it. I refuse to get into yet another debate with you about something I never said.
The fact is that Interactual player at its inception was called “PC Friendly” (windows application) and was notorious for enticing the consumer to install it so he (the consumer) would have access to the “advanced features” on the dvd. Good ol’ PC Friendly would then go about its business of data collection.

From Interhack Publications:
“Who Knows What, When
Registration data, including name, address, email address, and age are gathered from the user. A unique user ID'' is created--interestingly, the number seems to be created on the client. The client tests to see whether it's on the network with aping’’ (ICMP ECHO) to www.pcfriendly.com. After the return of the ping from the server, an HTTP connection is made to www.pcfriendly.com that will alert PCFriendly to the user’s presence.”

From it’s evolution as PC Friendly to Interactual Player it seemingly, has become less invasive and nasty. Nevertheless, Interactual player is prominent on blacklists from dvdxcopy to Fab. If it works well for you and you wish to use it, then by all means, have at it. IMO, you do a disservice to anyone to recommend it…not only because of its history of deceit and unethical activities, but it’s also a mediocre-at-best player.

Well stated mainman, Computer Associates makers of Etrust AV also recommend removing it and to disable Autorun. I think autorun is the cause of a large number of PC problems. If anyone opposes disabling autorun, I am sure Sony’s RootKill will change their mind. I have read that despite the lost law suits, Sony is trying to sneak it back on GD/DVDs.

Mack

Thanks for that link pagecrazy, much appreciated. :wink: