Problem with Sony DW-Q30A

vbimport

Hello everyone!

A couple of month ago i purchased a Sony DW-Q30A .
First couple DVD burns were fine, but the last are problematic…

Not all the files (video files) are readable from the dvd, even by the burner itself. :sad:

What could be the problem and how can i fix it???

Thanks in advance!

Not much info to go on :slight_smile:

The problem discs burn OK with your burning program, correct? I’m guessing the problem is reading the discs afterwards.

First, could you download DVDIdentifier, pop one of the problem discs in, and post the Media ID? Could possibly be a problem with the discs you’re using. :slight_smile:

Hi Arachne, thanks for reacting. :iagree:

You understood right, I burn with Nero, and in the end of operation i get a successfull burn notification.

The problem is to read all the files, eather in DVD player and in the DVD computer drives.
I’ve got another combo (Toshiba) drive that can not read from this DVDs.

Only the burner itself manages to recognize the data on the DVD but not all the data (recognized) is readable. If this is a movie and i manage somehow to run it, I get a jumping picture. But usually the computer freezes while trying to run the file.

I downloadewd the program you suggested, ran it.
The result is:
LPP Read Completed Without Errors

The Media Code (if this is what you ment) is:

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Media Code’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘Media Code’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 86 0e 0d 88 9a 80 00 .@…R…
0010 : 03 49 4e 46 4f 4d 45 00 04 44 49 41 52 32 30 00 .INFOME…DIAR20.
0020 : 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0b 15 87 78 90 00 …x…
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 08 14 0d 0f 0c 08 00 …
0040 : 09 98 07 0e 0b 68 88 00 0a a0 00 20 00 20 10 00 …h… . …
0050 : 0b 06 16 1b 85 56 85 00 0c 99 bd 88 80 00 00 00 …V…
0060 : 0d 00 00 d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 …

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Control Data Zone’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘CDZ’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 10h - Physical Format Information Of Control Data Zone
0000 : 25 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 12 7f 00 00 00 00 %…&…

Help me :bow:

thanks…

Ooooh. From your symptoms, and the media code posted (INFOMEDIA R20), I’m fairly sure the problem is with the discs you’re using (hate to be the bearer of bad news!).

Try burning that stuff onto better media (Verbatim, or if you can buy online, Taiyo Yuden. I’ve also had good luck with TDK, and Sony seems compatible with a good number of players also).

Hopefully that will sort things out. If not, we can try to help you further. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure Arachne’s correct about the media.

Something else that can be a factor is the burning speed.

With decent media try burning at the rated speed rather than slower , apart from 16x media where 12x is often best.
For crap media dropping the speed back may improve things , so as I think these are an 8x media try 4x.

Also make sure your firmware is up to date, as this will give you the latest list of media descriptors (and likely improve burning results) for your drive. For this reason you may want to crossflash to the latest test firmware for the LiteON 1635S (Sony DW-Q30A is a rebadged 1635S) since LiteON tends to update their firmware more often and this is the latest for your drive. Note that crossflashing voids your warrenty, if there is any still existing, but updating firmware originally intended for the drive does not, so grab the latest Sony firmware first (as of this writing http://download.medion.de/downloads/treiber/dvdsony_dwq30a.exe which is YYS6. You may need to use FlashFix to get this flasher to work, as it is an OEM firmware.) then consider crossflashing if that doesn’t help.

Thanks guys.

I’m burning in Silverline, I’ll try Verbatim. The strange thing is that the first , couple of discs, are fine. But I’ll try Verbatim…

I already tryed to change the burning speed, didn’t help. :disagree:

And for the firmware, my burner is a couple of month old, I still have a waranty (but I don’t really know what to do with it… :confused: ) and from my short trip in the forum I understood there is no direct Sony upgrade and that the upgrade available is not leaving me an oportunity to return to the original… kinda scared to touch the program… :eek:

Thank you all, again… I’ll try the Verba…

Good day. :flower:

About the firmware, there’s no need to mess with the Medion OEM-version. Here’s a link to the official Sony version, so you don’t have to worry about the warranty :slight_smile: . If you want, you can back up the original firmware with LtnFW first, before flashing to YYS6.

Also, stick to +R media with this burner and set booktype to DVD-ROM for maximum compatibility with standalone players (use LiteOn’s Booktype Utility for example - you only need to do this once with a +R disc in the drive).

Hi Cressida and thank’s for your advice.
Though you speak chinese to me… :doh:

If you could add some detailes…

What is LtnFW, why is the upgrade called YYS6, how do i stick to +R media and where do I set booktype to DVD-ROM ? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Hm, I didn’t realise my command of the English language was that bad :wink: .

Aha, your current firmware version is probably a YYRx (and not a YYSx) version? If so, you should update with YYR6 found here .

Many Sony drives (including yours) are “re-badged” LiteOn units, which means they use the same hardware inside, but come with a different front bezel and firmware. This also means that a lot of tools and utilities for LiteOn drives (like LtnFW and Booktype Utility above) are compatible with the equivalent Sony drives. I suggest you browse through the F.A.Q. in the LiteOn/Sony burner section, where you will find the info and download links you need.

It isn’t bad, it is too good!! :flower:

thank you for detailing…
But still i have some things not understood… :rolleyes:

Previously you recommended a YYS6, and later a YYR6 . Wich one to run and what is the difference between them…

and LtnFW and Booktype , are this programs that i should download or this is an utility that is already installed on my computer, and if it is, how to handle it???

sorry for the pettiness … :iagree:

I admit this does get a bit confusing for the inexperienced, but other than different “versions” of a particular drive’s firmware, there can also be different firmware “series”, even for the same drive model. The Sony Q30A comes with two different original Sony OEM-firmware series, which are YYRx and YYSx. Obviously a higher number (for the x) stands for a more recent version. You can visit www.sonyisstorage.com and search for them there (these are the ones I linked to above).

So the first thing to do for you now, is to find out whether your drive uses the “R” or “S” series firmware. Your burning software should show this with the drive’s properties somewhere (or you can look at the boot screen when you start your PC, or go to Device Manager and check there…). Then you can download the corresponding YYx6 (where x=R or S) flasher and update. This will in most cases improve the quality of your burns.

Since you’re not “crossflashing” the drive to another firmware series, I would keep it simple and not bother with LtnFW to back-up the old version. If you’re interested anyway, you can find it listed a.o. here .

The Booktype Utility however, you should get from the LiteOn website here . Remember, it only works wit “+R/RW” media, not with “-R/RW” discs. Put an empty +R disc in the drive, run the utility and set the booktype to DVD-ROM (the program will not confirm this, but it does work!). All your future DVD+R burns will be DVD-ROM’s from now on and are therefor more compatible with standalone DVD-players.

I hope this helps :slight_smile: !

Wow :clap: , that is greate. I love you… :o

Understood everything, and learned so much!!!
My burner version is YYS2 so i understand that i shall install the YYS6… hope not misstaken…

and thanks for the advice on the booktype, I’ll try it. Does it have any consequence??? Making this change or whatever…

Thank you!!! :bow:

No need for the overwhelming thank you :slight_smile: .

Yes, YYS6 is the one for you (if you tried YYR6 you would see that it refuses to update your drive). Make sure your drive is empty (no disc inside) and just follow the flasher’s instructions.

Booktyping (also called Bitsetting) has no other consequences than to make your “+” dvd’s more compatible.

Glad to be of help :smiley: .

hi Cressida, and thanks 4 everything…

The upgrade definitly helped… :clap:

though i couldn’t find it myself… :disagree:

I’m not shure if I should change the booktype, because the files that were unreadable in the standalone were those the burner couldn’t recognize… now the burner is reading ! :bigsmile:

thanks for all the new information :flower:

Booktyping isn’t imperative, if everything works as it should you can relax :cool: … for now… Because you’re not out of the woods yet :disagree: !

Unless you stick rigorously to Verbatim DVD+R 16X discs, you better start learning about “scanning” your discs with Nero CD-DVD Speed and/or Kprobe :eek:.

Also, one day you may want to give a dvd to someone with an older dvd-player and [I]whoops[/I] they can’t watch it :confused: … drop that coin and remember booktyping :iagree: !

Happy burning!

You shurely know how to calm… :eek:

By the way , what is the difference between R+ and R- ??? The cd’s I am birning on are silverline -R, i also have the verbatim +R but it’s quite an expence… Should I stop using the -R? :confused:

Hi Josik! I may have exaggerated a bit :wink: - and you don’t need to learn everything at once either…

FYI, +R and -R are just two competing formats (or standards if you wish) of the same thing, created to complicate the life of innocent consumers. Your burner will handle them both, but for video-dvd’s there is an issue with -R and the burn starting a little further from the center of the disc than what is liked by some dvd-players. I’m not sure whether this has been corrected in firmware version YYS6 yet, so I would advise you to check the Sony site for YYS7 periodically.

Concerning media in general, it’s not so much the brand you buy that matters as the manufacturer’s Media-Code (like INFOMEDIAR20 above). You can check on www.videohelp.com for user’s comments about most any blank dvd on the market and you will see that Silverline INFOMEDIAR20 gets mixed reviews at best (link) . Some people even report degradation problems, which means your discs may initially be fine but become unuseable in a matter of months. I don’t know your local situation, but anything that is significantly cheaper than Verbatim these days, is likely to be of dubious quality. So, if you do want to shop around, it’s important to learn how to check the quality of your burns, for which this forum will be very helpful. Read, read, and read… and, of course, you can ask :slight_smile: .

Thanks, Cressida!!!

I just updated my Sony to YYS6 and now when I put in Imation CD-RW discs that were once writeable, I get not a writeable disk from the NTI software. I can read but can’t write to these disks. I can write to a CD-R with the NTI software.