Problem with Sony DW-Q120A

Hi there,

I am having some problems with my Sony DW-Q120A.

I recently found out this drive has a RPC2 protection on it (if any one can point me to a great region free DVD DL burner that would be great.). So I set our to beat it.

I first tried to update my firmware to PYS2. I used the utility and it said it was sucessful (I did this in Vmware as I am a linux user) but the drive still reports the old firmware.

I then tried tp use the LtnRPC tool to disable the drive. This reported it was successful, however it still won;t read my R2 dics! Ive also used up 3 of my vendor changes on this with nothing !

Any help would be appreciated.

And if anyone can reccomend a good DVD burner, perhaps an LG or Pioneer that would be good too.

Thanks
Christopher

I would think your problem is caused by VMware, not the drive. Put it in a Windows machine and try those two things again. Should work.

Hi,

There is no stock RPC1 drive at all. So you have to use tools (in case of Liteon/Sony drives) or patched firmware - what would void your warranty.

I first tried to update my firmware to PYS2. I used the utility and it said it was sucessful (I did this in Vmware as I am a linux user) but the drive still reports the old firmware.
VMware doesn’t give you direct access to the hardware.

I then tried tp use the LtnRPC tool to disable the drive. This reported it was successful, however it still won;t read my R2 dics!
Same as with firmware update - no hardware access when using VMware.

And if anyone can reccomend a good DVD burner, perhaps an LG or Pioneer that would be good too.
There you’d have the same problems. Firmware flashers are Windows-Tools, RPC1 is only possible using patched firmware.

You may try LTNRPC using WINE. Or, to be safe, ask a friend that is using windows.

Michael

Just adding:
Sony offers DOS flashers for some drives(*), so maybe it is worth asking Sony support for a DOS flasher for your drive.
Other source might be the Codeguy’s site.

Michael
(*) made by our well known member Karr :wink:

Moved to the LiteOn/Sony forum. :wink: