Problem with Sony AW-G170A

vbimport

My AW-G170A does not read several dvds that work on friends’ comps. Also the DVDs I burn sometimes cause a Filesystem error at other comps. BinFlash and nero infotool detect my firmware version as 1.62

How do i solve this problem? should i flash it to the latest 1.73? or is there anything else i can do?

I saw the original 1.73 on liggydee’s site, but there are two versions… original and rpc1. which one do i choose?

thats right, im a noob, but i’d appreciate it if you could answer the question.

Just change the firmware to Optiarc 7170 v1.04 , in my case this helps alot.

WOOHOO!!!

Yeah it solved the problem, now I can read the DVDs well, I dont have any blank media to test out the burning, I’ll update on monday about that.

EDIT: Should I expect any changes in burning speeds?

THANKS MATE!!!

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard to both of you. :iagree: :clap:
Good to se you’ve worked this out between you, without any old fogeys like zebadee interrupting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, but being an old fogey has its own advantages, i think, the more you’re on this forum, the more you learn.

On topic, now the drive can read some dvds, but still not all. Most of them are DVD-R. All discs are accessible by IsoBuster, though. My friend has the same drive as mine, but without any problems. I’m planning to exchange mine for another drive. Any suggestions on the current best drives?

[QUOTE=dheeraj_kumar;2015712]Thanks, but being an old fogey has its own advantages, i think, the more you’re on this forum, the more you learn.

On topic, now the drive can read some dvds, but still not all. Most of them are DVD-R. All discs are accessible by IsoBuster, though. My friend has the same drive as mine, but without any problems. I’m planning to exchange mine for another drive. Any suggestions on the current best drives?[/QUOTE]

Go for the new pioneer 115D

hi…can someone tell me how to update the firmware?

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard
You could try [B][U]here[/U][/B] for f/w.
Not sure if this is the latest but, all official f/w will be what they call .exe. This means they have the installer built in. Just Download, Unzip & Double Click.

This may be yet another instance of the perplexing problem at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/nec-optiarc-dvd-r-reading-problems-209168/.

[quote=zebadee;2024269]Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard
You could try [B][U]here[/U][/B] for f/w.
Not sure if this is the latest but, all official f/w will be what they call .exe. This means they have the installer built in. Just Download, Unzip & Double Click.[/quote]

thank you
I tried the link u mentioned. I downloaded it, but then nothng happens. A window opens with some weird characters and when i press OK, nothing happens. Can u please tell me how to update the firmware given in the liggydee website?

@dhiraj
Hi, i too have the same problem as you. It can read Cds but not dvds. The last time i checked, it cud write dvds. How did u manage to solve the problem?

When I go to the link and click on the “1.73” just to left of blinking “new” in red box, it prompts to “Save to Disk.” However, I very much doubt firmware update will help and did not for this problem on my NEC 3520. I suspect you have the quite common -R read problem detailed in the link in post #9 in this thread. It won’t hurt to try firmware update though.

@ bevills1:

I got that, but it’s in someother language and it when i try running, a window flashes for a split second

Maybe firmwares from the first link at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/sony-aw-g170a-firmware-1-71-firmware-available-192972/ might work. There are original and RPC1 versions of firmwares there.

Sorry for the delay in posting folks!

I have a temporary solution which works for me:

Go to Liggy-Dee’s site, and download Optiarc 7170 v1.04 firmware as suggester by Ed01 (Thanks mate!) and flash your drive. Take a backup of your present firmware first, though.

From what I observed,

It now reads and writes CDs,

it writes all DVDs quite well, except there is a 5-8 second delay before it starts. I have tried only Nero though, so it might me a problem with my comp. I’m gonna do a fresh install and let you ppl know.

for the reading part, It now reads the DVD-Rs it could not before. It can now read the DVDs it writes too. HOWEVER, there are still some DVD-Rs with me that windows does not read, but ISOBuster does.

So, as a solution, I would recommend that firmware, and use ISOBuster in case of any troubles.

This drive sounds quite buggy, and there’s even a sticky about similar problems with other NEC/Optiarc drives. So, I’m gonna get this replaced soon, after my exams get over.

@dheeraj:

yeah…i tried it and it seems to be working now. But still, out of curiosity, wat was the error u were getting?the error i got was “disk is not formatted”. I couldnt upload the image since i had already posted it in a different thread. Here is the link http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/problem-my-writer-241695/