Problem with Ritek G04 -r playing in my JVC XV-N50

I am burning these Ritek -R G04s in my Liteon 811. The first one I burned played fine in my JVC XV-N50 DVD player. but others since have not. I get a NO DISC error in the JVC.

I can play them fine on my PC, as well as on my standalone SONY DVD player - but not the JVC. Also a K-Probe scan show very good quality burns

I have burned some +R discs in the 811 - and they all play fine in the JVC.

Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions? I know if these were +R that I was having a problem with, I could use Booktype - but if I recall correctly, that doesn’t work for -R, correct?

Try burning them at a different speed. Although the errors may show up as allot higher it may help the DVD to play and that is what counts, who care if Kprobe scans show a little high if it plays.

You could also try a different burning application as that has been reported to work sometimes.

Search for your burner here and see if there has been anyone else reporting problems with that particular player being picky at all.

I have the same trouble with my own JVC. It’s the LiteOn burner causing it. I can burn the G04 in my Pioneer or NEC and it plays great in the JVC. Have the same trouble sometimes with TY and Maxell DVD-R. The 811 just doesn’t burn it right somehow.
You will find that different firmware versions will eliminate the problem, or make it worse. Try them all till you find the one that works for you.

Ssseth and RDGrimes - Thanks. I’ll experiment with different firmware as well as burning applications/speed.

I have been using firmware HSOE with my 811 since that had been reported here as usually the best for -R media and I had a 25 pack of the Ritek G04s -R to use up. I had planned on upgrading firmware after using these because all the other media I have are Ricohjpn +R 4x (but should burn at 8x if I want).

And I had mainly been using CLoneDVD - which was burning my -R media at slower than its 4x rated speed - so I will try and change the firmware use a different burning program to see if that works. Thanks

PS - Ssseth - thanks for your note on the other forum, I did not realize cross posting wasn’t allowed. I really wasn’t sure where this question should go since I didn’t know if it was a hardware or media problem.

I just noticed I had the same problem with my 451s that replaced my dead Pioneer 105. It is an intermittent problem while burning at 4x. Some read fine while burned at 4x and others will sometimes load and not load. I burned at 2x and no problems (that was using firmware B6). I just burned at 4x using new firmare B7 and so far no problems.

Try firmware HS0P, it works a bit better here, but not 100% for the JVC.

I take that back, just tried a DVD-R with HS0P and the JVC won’t play it. But I know I’ve had at least one of the firmware versions that does work.

I’ve had the same problems with using CloneDVD to burn on my 811S with G04’s (burning at 2x sometimes).

That could be a big part of the problem, as I said G04’s prduce allot more errors when burnt at 2x. I never did worry about getting CloneDVD to burn at 4x all the time. I just output the files from CloneDVD (in DVD format) to my hard drive. Then I use RecordNow to burn them @ 4x. RecordNow comes bundled with the Sonic CD. Sometimes it’s a little “hidden” on the CD, so you may have to try this to install it. Then this guide should help you to figure out how to burn with RecordNow.

Firmware B7 did not work either. I am back to burning my G04s at 2x. Very inconsistent…sometimes the 4x works.

Try a different burning application (ie RecordNow as above) if you haven’t already. That fixed my ‘problem’.

I suppose one day I should look into why CloneDVD was doing that to me hey? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not a problem specific to G04 media, it’s all DVD-R in the 411 and 811 drives. For some reason LiteOn is burning them wrong, at least the JVC’s think so. The players don’t even recognize the discs. It’s not that the players don’t read -R, cause they do if they’re burned in any other burner. The first firmwares that fixed the lead-in problem were fine here.
The really odd thing is that my JVC would read the DVD-R that was burned with the faulty lead-in.
Try the firmware before HS0E, I think it’s HS06, and HS0K.
Of course there will be trade-offs with the different versions. The good thing is the JVC’s love DVD+R.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I have the same trouble with my own JVC. It’s the LiteOn burner causing it. I can burn the G04 in my Pioneer or NEC and it plays great in the JVC. Have the same trouble sometimes with TY and Maxell DVD-R. The 811 just doesn’t burn it right somehow.
You will find that different firmware versions will eliminate the problem, or make it worse. Try them all till you find the one that works for you.

i agree with you rdgrimes. it seems that the 811s doesn’t like the TY and Maxell DVD-R. i’ve used them before but i always encountered artifacts or freezing during 2/3 of the movie. i changed the media to Memorex DVD+R and now seems to work fine.

what model of JVC do you have? i thought i am the only one having problems with my JVC to the point i almost thinking of replacing my dvd player but the people here are so helpful that they give me suggestions to change the media or burn at lower speed.

XSVS60J

rdgrimes,

what media are you using now? are you using anydvd/clonedvd to back up your dvd? at what speed do you always write them?

As he hinted. I think he uses +R.

I use all media types and brands, but I burn them in my NEC. On the LiteOn, only +R will work for the JVC with current firmware on the 811 (401). Burn speed is whatever gives the lowest error rate on that media type.
I’m convinced that the -R issue with the 411/811 is a format issue, it’s not being written right.

have you tried memorex dvd+r on your jvc burned at 4x? how’s the result? i’ve been using this media but burned only at 2-2.4x and works fine on my jvc. i just wanted more speed if this works well in your case.

Originally posted by eap_44
have you tried memorex dvd+r on your jvc burned at 4x? how’s the result? i’ve been using this media but burned only at 2-2.4x and works fine on my jvc. i just wanted more speed if this works well in your case.

Depends on if you mean Ricoh or CMC made Memorex. The Ricoh works great at 8x or 4x.

i’ve never encountered memorex +r made by ricoh… always made by cmc

I can’t find anything BUT Ricoh. :confused: