Problem with region code

vbimport

Hi!

I recently built a computer, installing a new OEM Samsung SH-S203N DVD drive. After getting everything up and running, I decided to watch a DVD. Windows Media Player and Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 refuse to play the DVDs. These are Region 1 DVDs. For some reason the DVD recorder is set to Region 2 and refuses to change!

Media Player at first said that no DVD decoder was installed, but now it just crashes. PowerDVD says this: “This DVD player has been fixed to Region 2, Region 4, Region 5, Region 6, Not specified. Only those discs that support this region can be played. Error Code 8090000F: The disc’s region code does not match with the DVD player’s region designation.”

I have gone into the hardware settings in the system. It shows that the drive is set to Region 2. I try to change it to Region 1, then I get the following error message:

“Unable to update region setting. Please make sure drive contains a region 1 media and you have administrative privilege.”

I installed Nero InfoTool 5. It shows “Region Control” is RPC II. “Region Code” is 2. “Changes Left: User: 3”. “Changes Left: Vendor: 5”. I have firmware SB01, which is the current firmware.

It seems to me that this may be more of a Windows XP problem than a hardware problem. Searches I have done only seem to come up with suggestions that all 5 of the user changes must have been used up. This is clearly not the issue here, and I suspect with others as well. All I want to do is change the region to 1. :sad:

BTW, I do have DVDFab, and it is working great. Backup DVDs that have been through DVDFab DO work fine in Media Player (no crashing) and Power DVD.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Welcome to CDfreaks CougFan :slight_smile:

So if you go into the Samsung subforum you will find a stikied thread at the top of the forum with MCSE in it. That utility will allow you to make your drive region free or “RPC 1”, all you need is the .bin file for your drives firmware. There is another utility by Codeking that will allow you to make your drive always automatically ‘bitset’ you +R discs into -Rom discs.

THANK YOU so much! I will check out that subforum. Sorry I didn’t look harder.

Thanks again. :slight_smile: