Problem with recognizing discs U88 error codes

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DIGA DMR-EH50. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi:

I’d appreciate any help.

I have an 18 month old Panasonic DMR EH55 DVD recorder with a 200 gig hard drive. I use to love it as it work perfectly until yesterday. I probably have burned about 500 to 750 discs. In the middle of a burn from the HDD to a DVD, the process did not complete. The HDD still works fine in terms of recording new shows and watching recorded shows from the hard drive so the probelm is related to the DVD drive.

Error U88 appears and sometime U61. The unit no longer recognizes any disc - be it a blank or pre-recorded. I have cleaned the fans and opened the unit and cleaned the spindle and laser but no luck. I have unplugged the unit for hours and even reset it back to factory settings but the problem is the same. The unit won’t recognize a disc in it. The weird thing is that when there is no disc in it, the panel light on the front is on indicating that the unit thinks there is a disc in it. Also, when I open and then close the tray, the unit chugs away as if it where trying to load a disc even though there is no disc present in the tray.

What do you think is wrong? Should I try another spindle and laser cleaning or give up and bring it in for servicing? Any tips to try and avoid service? Also, would I be OK to bring it to an authorized service outlet or best to send it back to Panasonic if that option exits (I am in Canada)?

Thanks for any advice.

Bossmanleft:sad::a

This question was handled under the Panasonic section. No further help needed.

Thanks

Bossmanleft