Problem with quality/file size prediction

vbimport

@All,

There maybe a problem with bitrate distribution when user
defined file size is used for DVD2one. Please view this link:

http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17377#17377

-black prince

There is nothing wrong with the way this release of DVD2one performs. It was Intented to get 2 layer DVD on 1 DVDR removing unnecessary auto track and subs. When people start lowering the predicted size to put in extra’s and menus of course the quality will suffer.

People that are complaining about quality are stuffing all kinds of extras and menus. Use it as intented and you will get great quality.

If you don’t use this release as intended then you cannot complain about the quality.

why do u want to put a 4 gig movie on to a 800 mb cd what’s the point :confused:

@GOrt

he is just testing the quality of the codecs used

Knee jerk one off test like this are absolutely meaningless. Firstly, the author, kwag, does not even have the time to quote the DVD title that was backed up nor its original size. Is this a controlled test?

A program designed to backup a DVD to DVDR would not be expected to convert one down to 800meg and still be of DVD quality, but for some reason kwag seams to think this is a valid option. He/she also assumes that the same algorithm in d2one would be used in all backup conversion. One test cannot prove anything unfortunately

If kwag decided to do a test say take a DVD of 6.0gig size and convert to 4.3g, then convert to 4.0 gig, then to 3.5g and to 3.0g and then compare the results then that may present some meaningfull data.

Cheers,
CM

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]@GOrt

he is just testing the quality of the codecs used [/B]

Exactly! Kwag has used and extreme test of the application to show an area for improvement and Rene to his credit has acknowledged this and is working to improve what is already an outstanding program.

Kwag may be guilty of using unconventional methods to prove a point but I am sure he is only interested in furthering the development of Dvd2one and judging by Rene’s reponse so is he.

Of course this application was never meant to compress 5 or 6 gigs down to 800mb, the results of this test have promoted further development which will benefit all.

naturally its a problem with dvd2one - just like the other day when I drove my car into the lake and it sank - I immediately wrote a complaint to the manufacturer of my car complaining about its floatingabilities.

Sometimes I just cannot beleive the logic of peoples complaints

and i…:confused: …do not get what you try to say

Originally posted by nyplayer
[B]There is nothing wrong with the way this release of DVD2one performs. It was Intented to get 2 layer DVD on 1 DVDR removing unnecessary auto track and subs. When people start lowering the predicted size to put in extra’s and menus of course the quality will suffer.

People that are complaining about quality are stuffing all kinds of extras and menus. Use it as intented and you will get great quality.

If you don’t use this release as intended then you cannot complain about the quality. [/B]

Amen Brother. I’ve been constantly impress on the output with DVD2one. Of course I’m being reasonable by including 1 audio stram and one subtitle. And then not expecting a 3 hr movie to show no signs of degrading by being forced on a single layer disk.
For 90-120min movies with the above parameters, the video is outstanding.

So what you guys are saying is that my dream of putting LOTR on a floppy is sorta unrealistic? :rolleyes:

LOL :slight_smile:

Originally posted by IntestineMan
So what you guys are saying is that my dream of putting LOTR on a floppy is sorta unrealistic? :rolleyes:

it might fit on 2 floppies. LOL

Mike

to be honest…it can be done…i think…here is the guide

-buy lotr
-buy 2 floppies
-put the 2 floppies next to eachother on a flat surface
-take the lotr dvd out of the box
-lower the dvd on this 2 floppies

voila LOTR on 2 floppies

I guess i made lots of people happy with this small guide

:bigsmile:

Yep, good one m8, I must try it next conversion. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

my next guide will be to put the all Friends episodes on a floppy (for my girlfriend…)

:bigsmile:

Without actually trying things how does anything get invented?

What Kwag tried was typical of any user. Let’s try extreme situations. Any software developer expects users to try anything with their software.

DVD2One is not expected to compact a DVD down to 800Mb but what has been highlighted is maybe a weakness in its algorithm which can be improved.

Cheers,

@gort.
“why do u want to put a 4 gig movie on to a 800 mb cd what’s the point”

Because that’s what we do best, and most encodes look awesome :wink:

@ChickenMan,
“If kwag decided to do a test say take a DVD of 6.0gig size and convert to 4.3g, then convert to 4.0 gig, then to 3.5g and to 3.0g and then compare the results then that may present some meaningfull data.”

That’s what I would call a meaningless test :bigsmile:

@DVCII,
“Sometimes I just cannot beleive the logic of peoples complaints”

It’s called engineering stress test. Extreme programming (testing) to try all “end-user” posibilities.
That’s the way I release my software :cool:

@intestineman,
“So what you guys are saying is that my dream of putting LOTR on a floppy is sorta unrealistic?”

LOLROTF :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

@rhino,
“What Kwag tried was typical of any user. Let’s try extreme situations. Any software developer expects users to try anything with their software.”

Exactly :wink:
Just trying to exercise all posibilities and combinations :wink:
BTW, great work rhino :smiley:

Cheers all!,
-kwag
www.kvcd.net

i tried to compress to cdr size also,just for fun,i was only disapointed that dvd2one doesnt seem to be able to go below 1gb. the picture looked like i expected it to at 720x480 and only 1000mb. but the real test i gave dvd2one was fellowship of the ring special edition 2 disc set. i combined the two discs vobs with vobedit and ifoedit,kept all audio tracks,commentaries and subs. considering it is a 4 hr. movie it plays great. yes the background pixelates slightly in dark scenes(moria), but overall it is a great picture.

when i really do want a svcd i use dvdx2.2(not dvdxcopy),i recomend it. and its free.