Problem with Plextor Premium 2 and AMQR

Hello everyone, :slight_smile:
I’m new to the forum and my name is Markus.

I’m having a problem using the AMQR mode with my Plextor Premium 2 (fw. 1.03). I’m on Win7 (64bit) and using it as an external drive via USB together with PlexTools Pro 3.16 XL.

Now to the problem:
Everytime I’m switching on AMQR, the Premium 2 is changing the disc type. For example I was using a MFSL Gold CD-R and without AQMR it is recognized as a Mitsui Type 5. When I activate AMQR the CD-R switches to a Ritek Type 3 and sometimes to a Postech Type 1??? And that happens all the time and not only with this kind of CD-R.
As a result I noticed a pretty heavy increase of C1 errors when doing a quality scan afterwards. It’s even the case with a Taiyo Yuden CD-R (recognized as “unknown brand” with AMQR) which normally gives me pretty low C1 averages. For me this indicates that something cannot be right with the burn strategies when this mode is on!?!:confused:

Many thx in advance for possible answers.

Greetings,
Markus

Update:

Well, I tried some different things yesterday. First I did a reset of PlexTools. Then when I activated the AMQR mode I clicked the “Disc Info”-button on the GigaRec page. After this I set a VariRec setting +0.5, because I read a couple of posts about that this could have some positive effect, too.

After that I burned a couple of TY CD-R and got pretty great scan results. The software still shows me different ID’s for the CD’s but I double checked it and this seems to be the solution for my problem. Sounds weird I know, but it worked for me. Only when I tried this on some Gold CD-R’s like Mitsui Golds and MPO Gold, the Mitsui ones gave me pretty high scan results!?! Maybe the Premium2 doesn’t really like them? Btw, my Mitsuis came from MFSL Gold and HHB Gold. Especially the HHB doesn’t work very well in terms of scans.

p.s.: Before I found this solution I also tried the original firmware 1.0 and it always shows the correct ID but unfortunately the premium 2 denied me to read cue files. Too bad, that plextor is not longer working on newer versions of their tools.

[QUOTE=kampi71;2662292]Only when I tried this on some Gold CD-R’s like Mitsui Golds and MPO Gold, the Mitsui ones gave me pretty high scan results!?! Maybe the Premium2 doesn’t really like them? [/QUOTE]

I’ve not had great results from gold phthalocyanine discs for quite a while. The old Japanese Mitsui discs were good but when they split into the MAM-E and MAM-A companies the quality went right down.

I must admit that I have never felt the need to use AMQR. If you are using a well designed CD player it will make no difference to the sound.

One other thought - do you have an older version of Plextools? You may find that Plextools Professional LE acts differently and even the old Plextools Pro might be worth a go.

James.

[QUOTE=jamesp;2663149]I’ve not had great results from gold phthalocyanine discs for quite a while. The old Japanese Mitsui discs were good but when they split into the MAM-E and MAM-A companies the quality went right down.

I must admit that I have never felt the need to use AMQR. If you are using a well designed CD player it will make no difference to the sound.

One other thought - do you have an older version of Plextools? You may find that Plextools Professional LE acts differently and even the old Plextools Pro might be worth a go.

James.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply James.:slight_smile:
In terms of the actual gold-CD-R’s I totally agree. And indeed most of the current Mitsui Gold CD-R’s are not working pretty well with AMQR and it is better not to use this option. I still own a couple of those, but in general they are too expensive and in terms of the MAM-A’s they are pretty hard to get outside of the US. I live in Germany and because of that they are not an option for me. And you mentioned the quality is not longer worth the price. The overall quality of CD-R’s went down I think.

I own a pretty good hifi equipment (spent over 24.000 Euros on it over the years because I’m a freak, hehe) and I always want to have the best possible media for solid audio recordings and backup solutions. I also found out that there are indeed slight differences in terms of sound quality. But please no voodoo like discussion over sound differences of blank media, hahaha. :wink: But for example, I always found TY-media not perfect for audio, because they sound a bit too harsh on my Marantz player. They are indeed great in terms of C1/C2 quality, but for audio recordings…ahh, not really perfect for my ears.

Thank you for your advice in terms of software and I’m going to try out the versions you mentioned.:slight_smile: But I maybe could have some problemsto run this older version, because I use Win7 64bit. But I will give it a go together with the WIN-XP compatibility mode of the OS. :wink:

greetings,
Markus

Sounds like your Marantz player has problems if you are hearing differences between properly recorded CD’s. There are plenty of expensive players which don’t have sufficient isolation between the analogue and digital sections to avoid these clocking issues and I’ve certainly heard differences between brands of CD-R with some CD players.

You would possibly be better off buying a jitter immune digital to analogue convertor like those from Benchmark (and others) and using T-Y discs. Most of my critical listening is done via computer through a Sonifex digital to analogue convertor. Since you’re already mention HHB, I’d suggest you take a look at their catalogue or website as they sell a good range of high quality digital to analogue convertors.

James.