Problem with Pioneer 205 blu-ray writer

vbimport

Trying to back up blu-ray using DVDFab 7. Copies OK to HD, when I put in a blank Verbatim BD-R, it says the disk is not writeable. Checking my system area the driver is a Microsoft Driver dated 2006 stating it is a CDROM. I’m not sure how to change the driver. Any help appreciated.

Specifying which version of windows you are using would be helpful. People only know what you tell them because we don’t know your system. It might be worthwhile adding it to your signature.

I am not familiar with DVDFab 7, is that only for DVD’s? They make a different product for Blu Ray so that might be the problem.

If your not using DVDFab for making the copy, then the application your using to write to the Blu Ray might not allow Blu Ray writing.

Check out guides on how to do it.

Are you having problems burning other disks, like dvds or cds? Have you tried different brands of BD-R? Are you using regular Verbatim BD-R or are these the LTH BD-R?

You don’t need to update the driver of the blu ray drive. Make sure you have the latest chipset driver for your motherboard if you are having trouble burning any other types of disks. The SATA controller drivers should be included with the chipset drivers.

Are you trying to burn within DVDFab? If so, are you using the VSO burning engine or ImgBurn? I’d use ImgBurn personally (though I’m not a DVDFab user).

[QUOTE=dirtold;2539096]Trying to back up blu-ray using DVDFab 7. Copies OK to HD, when I put in a blank Verbatim BD-R, it says the disk is not writeable. Checking my system area the driver is a Microsoft Driver dated 2006 stating it is a CDROM. I’m not sure how to change the driver. Any help appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Are you using the latest version of DVDFab-> v7506 ?

Also you using the defualt burn engine-> (VSO) if so set DVDFab to use ImgBurn as the burn engine…(see guide below called [B]“Settings”[/B] if you don’t have ImgBurn download and install from imgburn.con it’s free and highly recommend.

You may also want to insure you have the latest driver for your graphics card :slight_smile:

More info:

I am using Windows 7 and the VSO burning engine and the latest DVDfab 7.

I can burn regular DVDs.

I am using Verbatim BD-R 4X. No other info on the disks.

[QUOTE=dirtold;2539212]More info:

I am using Windows 7 and the VSO burning engine and the latest DVDfab 7.

I can burn regular DVDs.

I am using Verbatim BD-R 4X. No other info on the disks.[/QUOTE]

Please see suggestion on ImgBurn…

Thanks to all for helping. Still no luck. Files are on HD but I can’t seem to copy them to a BD-R. I only have one set disks and they are Verbatim. I switched over to Imgburn and I think all the settings are good. Latest result is when I use write data, I get message that disk is double sided (it’s not) and when I tell it to proceed it takes about 2 seconds and says it’s done. I assume it has written something to the disk and made it toast. I guess my next task is to get another brand of BD-R. Any other ideas?

The disk may not have had anything done to it in that space of time. Try using ImgBurn outside of DVDFab on one of these disks you’ve already tried to burn. If the burn fails, post the burn log from ImgBurn here in this thread.

To find the burn log, click on Help within ImgBurn–>ImgBurn Logs

OK, Imgburn copied the file to the BD-R and verified. or so it seemed. Disk would not play.

DVDFab shows location of Imgburn as C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab 7\DVDFab.url. I want to change it to my C:\Programfiles\imgburn. Not sure this fixes problem but I have toasted 3 BD-Rs so far.

You can install ImgBurn separately from DVDFab. www.imgburn.com

It [B]should[/B] go in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder if you are using a 64bit operating system, so don’t try to put it in C:\Program Files.

What are you using for playback on the computer?

[QUOTE=dirtold;2539096]Trying to back up blu-ray using DVDFab 7. Copies OK to HD, when I put in a blank Verbatim BD-R, it says the disk is not writeable. Checking my system area the driver is a Microsoft Driver dated 2006 stating it is a CDROM. I’m not sure how to change the driver. Any help appreciated.[/QUOTE]

you haven’t stated what driver you are using, is it a BD burner or just a standard dvd drive?
if it is a BD burner is your firmware current,
but mostly what is the drive LG, Panasonic, Liteon, buffalo,etc. any info will help.
:slight_smile:
PS you should be using a BD-RW if you are new to this, as that way you don’t waste a lot of BD discs, which can get to be expensive.
P.S.S. sorry, I just saw the post heading that you have the pioneer, so again I ask is your firmware current on that drive.
if it is current go into device manager and uninstall the drive, then reboot your PC, it will reinstall during start up hopefully to be recognized as the BD drive that it is.

I installed Imgburn from their website but I had set DVDFab to imgburn before the download and install, hence, why it has the weird url location. I guess I can uninstall DVDFab and reinstall.
I can view the movie file with DVDFab.

I have installed the latest Pioneer firmware.

The drive is correctly identified in the device driver area.

Can you play the [B]burned[/B] disk on the computer? You’ll need software that is capable of playing Blu ray video, like PowerDVD or Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater 3.

When you put the burned disk in the computer drive, can you open it and explore the contents from My Computer? Right click on the drive with the disk to see if this is possible.

If it is, you can try playing the main m2ts file on the burned disk with free players instead of the two commercial programs I mentioned earlier. Media Player Classic HomeCinema can play the main movie m2ts file, and VLC can do this also though I find playback in those programs a bit uneven.

Since ImgBurn indicated a successful burn and verified the data, I’m trying to determine if the disk is actually a good burn, and simply doesn’t play on your stand alone player.

PuwerDVD says no disk in drive. I can watch movie from IMGBurn also (file on HD). I plan to uninstall DVDFab and reinstall to see if that changes anything.

From my computer, no files are shown.

Looks like a bad burn.

After reinstall still have same problem. I also lost my license to use BR to BR to 9/10/2010 but I am listed as a trial user.

Maybe my rip is bad. I will try another disk to check this.

[QUOTE=dirtold;2539549]After reinstall still have same problem. I also lost my license to use BR to BR to 9/10/2010 but I am listed as a trial user.

Maybe my rip is bad. I will try another disk to check this.[/QUOTE]

Hi dirtold:
Go to the attached link, click the support tab, then click on lost registration key.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dvdfab.com%2F&rct=j&q=dvdfab.com&ei=dUBwTI7cGI22sAPv0Z29DA&usg=AFQjCNFIKHPr8uaGukZfXP4vpvxo6ev4sQ&sig2=9GdIBHtKycXKkeVMyJ0aNQ&cad=rja
OK, have you tried burning your back up from your HD directly to imgBurn, this is how I always do mine and never a failure or loss of a disc.
To do this open ImgBurn from your desk top if that is were you have it, then click on the Write files/folders to disc.

Now go to your HD and open the file for your back up BD, then drill down till you come to a BDMV file and a certificate file, drag those two files into the box in ImgBurn, then click on the calculator then click on the icon of the file going to the disc, and let the burning begin.

Again I would suggest that you buy your self a BD-RW that you can format if you make an error and reuse it.

let me know how this works for you.

IMGBurn would not let me drag the files over.

Decided to try Passkey. When I run IMGBurn it says I don’t have the privileges to create the iso file.

Not sure where these privileges are controlled. I can create folders and files with other programs.

Try running ImgBurn as an administrator.

Right click on the icon and select ‘Run as administrator’.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Running as Admin is working.

Still running so don’t know if this makes a good backup.

That’s good to hear.
now when you clicked on the calculator, did it give you a reading of how much space would be used on the disc.
then when you started by clicking on the file to disc icon, did you get asked if you were trying to burn a BD.
if the answer to these questions is yes then I do believe you will have a successful burn.

keep us informed of your results please.
:slight_smile: