Problem with new plextor 708a...need help

vbimport

OK I'll try to keep this short.

I have a HP pavillion/ P4 2.53 / 512 RAM / it has an HP200j burner built in and I had copied a bunch of DVD's of school lectures with it using NERO. I did this by dragging the VIDEO_TS folder onto the desktop and then burning those files with NERO using the DVD-video function....worked great....but 200j is SLOW so I bought a Plextor 708a...supposed to be the best, or one of, burners out there right?

Anyway following the same procedure things seem to go fine....NERO give me a "successful burn" notice and the discs play fine with WinDVD on either the Plextor drive or the HP drive but are a "no go" on my home DVD player. Granted I am using fairly cheap media (Imation, got on sale at Best Buy) but the discs aren't even being recognized by the player, which is a Panasonic DVD RV-27. The discs I burned with the HP drive all play perfectly. Very frustrating. I burned all discs at 2.4X with both drives. Firmware version is 1.04. Drive is installed as master with a cable select system. Incidentally I also tried to burn a DVD with Clone DVD and had exactly the same problem...disc plays on computer but not on DVD stand alone.

Anybody got a clue whats going on here. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Are those Imations DVD+R or DVD-R? What formats is your Panasonic standalone capable of playing?

Most Panasonic standalone dvd players only play DVD-R format. If the IMATION’s you bought from Best Buy are DVD+R they will not play on Panasonic. Are the IMATIONS 4x speed DVD+R? If they are they can burn @8x using the Plextor 708A. :slight_smile:

A book type changer would be useful in scenarios like this one unfortunately there are no book type changers available for PX-708A…

@ zeeter
I think those are +R since 2.4X isn’t a valid recording speed on -R.
//Danne

Thanks for the responses.

The DVD’s did not have a speed designation on the packaging or the actual discs 9a.k.a. cheap ass media) but they are DVD+R type.

Today I took some of the discs I burned to Best buy and played them on several different standalones and they worked fine. I am guessing that for some reason the “Plextor burned” DVD’s were just not readable on the Panasonic player while the “HP burned” discs were. ???:confused:

In any case I bought a new player (the wife LOVED that one hehe)

Any thought on why this would be the case?? I figured if one type of disc worked it wouldn’t matter what burner made the disc.

I’ll let you know how this progresses.

Thanks again.

I’m quite sure that your HP DVD-200 burner sets book type to DVD-ROM instead of DVD+R which makes +R discs ‘readable’ on your Panasonic DVD-player.
//Danne

Is there a way to change this setting on the 708?

DiiZzY already answered your question.

DiiZzY wrote:

A book type changer would be useful in scenarios like this one unfortunately there are no book type changers available for PX-708A

Nope there is no way to change the booksetting.

Plextor will likely change this in the future(bitsetting)

Interesting comment about Plextor making bitsetting available. How do you know this? I’m just curious.

I would also like to know more about this. Would this be in the form of a firmware upgrade? or would it only be availabe on a new drive?

Thanks for the info

Probably a new firmware along with an utility. If any at all…
//Danne

Originally posted by DiiZzY
Probably a new firmware along with an utility. If any at all…
//Danne

Yeah I agree with that. Maybe (note though that I haven’t got a clue if Plextor will indeed support BitSetting changes) they can add support for it in PlexTools instead of a seperate utility.