Problem with new DH20A4P and Nero CD-DVD Speed

vbimport

I just received and installed a new Lite-On ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P 9P57.

–It worked OK with Nero CD-DVD Speed to scan several Movie discs.
–It also worked OK to rip a disc with DVD Shrink.
–Then it worked OK to burn a DL disc with ImgBurn.

Then I tried to use Nero CD-DVD Speed to scan the disc I had just burnt, and it did so, but it wouldn’t recognize/return a disc ID. Soon thereafter, on subsequent tries, it won’t work at all with Nero CD-DVD Speed. I’ve tried several discs and it says a disc isn’t inserted. I’ve tried restarting my computer but it just won’t work with Nero CD-DVD Speed anymore.

I’m stumped. Any ideas?

Is ImgBurn able to recognize the disc? If yes, then there is a software problem with cd-dvd speed.

If not, its’ possible that the drive has a problem. Can you try to install that drive on a different computer?

Another possibility is that you are using very low quality discs. What discs are you using?

[QUOTE=geno888;2010387]Is ImgBurn able to recognize the disc? If yes, then there is a software problem with cd-dvd speed.

If not, its’ possible that the drive has a problem. Can you try to install that drive on a different computer?

Another possibility is that you are using very low quality discs. What discs are you using?[/QUOTE]

Yes, ImgBurn recognizes the disc when in the new DH20A4P drive, as does DVD Identifier. It’s also recognized in my other drive, a LG H55N. I only have one computer, so there’s no chance to install the new Lite-On in a different computer. I’m using Verbatim DVD+R DL, MKM001, made in Singapore.

My MIS spindles on hand vary somewhat in quality. Some are midway between the old traditional top-quality MIS discs and the new MII junk, and one MIS spindle is almost indistinguishable from MII. These spindles were purchased last fall when the changeover from MIS to MII was occurring, and I figure they got their packaging mixed up.

After playing around awhile, I finally got Nero CD-DVD Speed to recognize the disc again, except it can’t read the disc ID. Thereafter, a quality scan won’t work (that tab is grayed out), but the disc info and disc scan tabs work. However after running a disc scan, Nero CD-DVD Speed crashed completely - encountered a problem and needed to close…

Other discs now work with Nero CD-DVD Speed again, which will do a quality scan on them, but my impression is the drive is slow to recognize DL discs. Sometimes they’re not recognized by Nero CD-DVD Speed on the first try, but work after 2-3 tries. Single layer discs such as TYG03 are recognized faster, I believe(?). I haven’t timed it, but this DH20A4P is pretty clearly slower to recognize discs than my prior Lite-On LH-20A1P or my LG-H55N.

Windows Media Player was probably interfering, and it might still be… It popped up automatically when I inserted a movie disc. I got it to stop by going throught the autoplay settings and told the computer to ‘take no action’ with all kinds of discs.

I also note that the TA Jitter tab is missing in Nero CD-DVD Speed with this new DH20A4P drive. It was present with my former LH-20A1P drive.

I’ll burn another MKM001 disc from a known top-quality MIS spindle to rule out the possibility of a bad disc.

I’m still pretty confused. Does that info help with the diagnosis?

A brief update…

Nero CD-DVD Speed is working OK again with my new Lite-On DH20A4P, except it still won’t read the disk ID of that MKM001 MIS disc it burnt. What did I do to make it work again…?

–For one thing, somehow my settings got changed in Nero CD-DVD Speed, particularly the one which says to run it at [I]high[/I] priority. I imagine that helped a lot.
–I also finally got Windows Media Player turned off entirely, I think, which was popping up frequently at critical moments and apparently interfering greatly.
–I also turned off Desktop CD Recording (record CDs by dragging files and folders to the CD-R icon on your computer). I don’t know if this makes a difference, but I have no use for it.
–Also some settings may get reset to defaults when a new drive is installed, so I guess that’s the reason they were happening.

I burnt a MKM003 @8x and it went OK (if you can disregard the huge PIE spike at the layer break), and had no problem reading the disc ID or quality scanning the disc afterwards. The MKM003 was recognized quickly, like a drive should do. Maybe this drive just doesn’t like MKM001 very much, which seem very slow to be recognized (initialize the disc, read the disc ID, etc). Maybe I’ll know more after I upgrade the firmware, if I can figure out how to do it. It came with 9P57 installed, and 9P59 is now available.

I like how smoothly and quiet it is operating. Jitter is also less than with my former LH-20A1P which was developing a seriously bad vibration after 6 months of heavy use at high speeds. Maybe 6 months is as long as these cheap drives last (?).

Final note: The very flimsy disc tray on this DH20A4P gives me reason for concern, and I worry about breaking it off if I’m not careful.

You can download Nero DriveSpeed to adjust the DVD playback speed. Sometimes, when you run it too fast, it may overheat.

Reduce DVD and CD Drive Speed for Quieter Movie Playback

I had a problem with one of my laptops where the screen would totally blank out and lines would appear when the laptop overheated when the DVD drive started spinning. It turned out to be a heat problem. Decreasing the speed could lower the temperature.