Problem with new Asus DRW-24F1st b ATA DVD Burner

vbimport

After some 15 years of being a dedicated burner, I am at a crossroads and am having to ask for help after having installed 2 brand new Asus DRW-24F1st b ATA DVD burners.
I have run Microsoft’s Fixit.dvd.RNP.Run.exe thinking that there may have been a compatibility problem. There was some filtering changes but it came through with the statement that my 2 drives were ready to use.
As of today, every burned disc is now a coaster. I have tried other software, namely Ashampoo Burning Studio 12 which I purchased 3-4 years ago. It’s now gone to the internet bitbucket.
So here I’m stuck with one of the highest rated burners, namely, ImgBurn v2.5.8.0 as my sole burning device. I installed it some 4 months ago and had nothing to say but slow down as the slowest my older burners would burn at was 8x. Much too fast for my taste buds. But every DVD came out perfect. I use 2 Md5 programs for checking every burn: namely MD5 Checker for the source files and MD5 Summer for the summary of everything in the directory/folder(s) being burned.
I purchased the ASUS burners as I presumed the compatibility would be perfect as I’ve been running for the last 5 years an ASUS P7P55D-E motherboard, with 8G ram. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.
Here’s the bizaree part of each bad burn. It’s always the last source folder listed alphabetically that shows bad sectors. That is to say, if I have 10 folder in a directory, it’s #10 subfolder that both my MD5 progies eventually says its unreadable. Always!
Originally, a week ago when I put in the burners, I began, as usual, to burn straight data folders with Ice’s ECC recovery volumes filling up the rest of the DVD. This ECC recovery program is nothing short of amazing. if you notice my snapshot, my redundancy rate generally runs between 120-150% of the source data. So I’m burning some 2000-2100 mg of data with the remaining space of 2500+ balance of a 4.7 disc being devoted to Ice ECC recovery volumes. Therefore, I can recover the entire DVD not just an individual file. This is something QuickPar could never do. And by the way, for some 10-12 years, I’ve used nothint but Sony DVD-R. I have quite a few spindles full of Sony discs that are 14-15 years old and are still Perfect! DVD+R’s don’t work as they are not compatible with ICE’s ECC system.
I switched to converting the source files to an ISO a couple of days ago, thinking that whatever the problem is, this may make it easier being burned.
No change. Every DVD has bad sectors shown in the last sub folder/folder.
Being the last folder made me think that I have a buffer problem inside of Win7.
So I started reburning with Cacheman 7.9 controlling the memory’s cache files. Again No Change. Yesterday, I installed WinISO to see if the ISO it created were close in side.
They weren’t. Still No Change in the validation process of the last source folder. So WinIso is now history also.
Is my problem with ImgBurn? I’m at a loss. Is 6x too slow keeping in mind that my DVD’s are maxed-out in size. I personally think it’s still a caching problem, but have nothing to fall back on. Or is it the ASUS burners?
Oh, and by the way, it’s not my OS. Every morning I run sfc /scannow when I 1st turn it on. Never a violation.
Any food for thought would be helpful to say the least.

Doesnt make sense to max out the data storage on DVD±R…

I’m wondering (2 weeks after this was posted :o), what happens if you burn the data without an ECC file on the disc – still only using the first 2100 MB? I’m asking just in case the burn process is still pushing to the edge of a set of bad discs (or a drive that doesn’t like the sub-brand producing Sony’s media).

[QUOTE=Albert;2746338]I’m wondering (2 weeks after this was posted :o), what happens if you burn the data without an ECC file on the disc – still only using the first 2100 MB? I’m asking just in case the burn process is still pushing to the edge of a set of bad discs (or a drive that doesn’t like the sub-brand producing Sony’s media).[/QUOTE]

it has no affect on the ecc files. Ice’s ECC Files are the recovery files. The verification process of Imgburn was finding bad sectors of the last source data files (listed alphabetically) not the ECC files. When the recovery volumes are created I simply clicked on Fit to bytes: “DVD” and the proggie would make as many ECC files as I tell it pushing it right to the maxiumum…then I would round down to the next even %. Example: 137.9% to 137.0% removing approx 10-15 mg off the end total.

The problem really is in the bad sectors. At the time approx 2 weeks ago, I was using the old school of thought of burning @ 6x. I’ve only had one bad coaster out of approx 100 Sony DVD’s and I narrowed that problem down to my Win7Ultimate “sidebar” was not terminated. A definite conflict with my ImgBurn.
So why does ASUS burn properly @ 16x. You got me. It’s one thing to come up with an MD5 error on a “good” disc with no bad sectors. But a disc with bad sectors can prevent my ECC files from recovering the data down the road. The CD locks up preventing access to the rest of the DVD.
I used to resolve that by creating 2 MD5s in the root directory of the DVD. One before the creation of the ECCs and one after. Thereafter I could simply verify every file on the DVD by clicking on the *.md5+ECCs file. And it would verify every file. Just recently I went back to doing that with every burn. And it works.
I’m beginning to think twice about Sony DVD-R

Could anyone check if “DRW-24B1ST b” is a clone of LiteOn drive?