Problem with new 4167b drive

Just got this drive, swaped out my old LG 4040b. Win xp recognized the drive and all seemed well, but now anytime I put a dvd in the drive, it reboots my system into a loop. Only way to get the system back is to eject the disc and let windows come back up.

Very strange behavior! Any ideas?

Still at D10 FW, I’d like to try and get this problem solved before flashing.

<edit>
makes no difference what I put in the drive (cd, DVD, DVD-RAM) everything causes my system to reboot as soon as the disc starts to read.

I have had similar problems:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=154467

Thanks for that info. How did you go about “purging” your system of those files?

Basically just uninstalling the VSO and Elaborate Bytes products, and uninstalling ASPI through Device Manager. ASPI is a horrible thing and I don’t know why anyone using XP entertains having it in their system.

Uninstalled VSO, that did nothing. I tried booting of CD, first time did not work, second time it worked, but was VERY slow. Then I just booted with the CD in the drive and came up to windows, no problems navigating the CD at all. Below is Nero InfoTool if thats helps anyone figure this out.

found this is the system event: The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( nvatabus ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\NvAta0.

Then I noticed I was using the nVidia EIDE drivers…I unistalled them and went with just the MS drivers, but same problems. I’m thinking I may have to reload to get this fixed.

So, even after a fresh install of Win XP, reinstalling the nvidia drivers BUT NOT installing the IDE driver, I still have the same problem.

Guess I’ll strat an RMA on this thing.

OK. gave the drive to a friend of mine to try out. It works flawlessly in his system, so now back to figuring out what is causing this particular drive on my system to fail, when no other burner seems to have a problem.

I have replaced my IDE cable, and drive is set to master, nothing seems strange in the bios…

Using an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe board.

Use the IDE drivers my ms!

I am using the IDE drivers by MS. I took off my OC also, still no change. It sometimes reads music cd and CD-roms but ASLWAYS reboots whenever a DVD is inserted.

why it works on my friends computer, I have no idea.

Nect I’m going to reflash my bios and see what happens.

Problem is solved.

I switched the PSU cables around so I am running a dedicated line to the drive (before the 2 case fans were on the same line) Drive now works with DVD’s. Now on to some burning tests.

Thanks everyone!

I would change out that power supply before it causes any more grief.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=142753

I had to register to post this :rolleyes: and I only do that if I really need to say something, so listen up :wink:

I too had an LG 4167B from the “Dark side” then after reading this thread and one on another forum I upgraded my 300w PSU to a 650w with dedicated SATA connector as well.

Problem solved, so Grimmster, go with the postee above, he knows what he’s talking about.

Your immediate problem may be solved but you may now find that the drives reading ability is still somewhat impaired. That’s been my experience with several of these drives, if the PSU is not good enough then the reading of burnt media (and even the recognition of blank media) can be sub-standard.

It’s not a “black and white” issue either, there are also shades of grey in between. If the PSU is slightly marginal then the reading can be only slightly impaired, you may not even notice it. In more extreme cases certain types of blank media become unusable (not even recognized by the burner). Yours is the first case of re-boot that I’ve heard of though.