Problem With Myst IV: Revelation DVD and CloneCD

vbimport

I just bought Myst IV: Revelation, which comes on two DVDs. I used CloneCD to make an ISO image of the second DVD, which the game actually looks for to run. I then installed the game, with the first disc in my DVD-ROM drive and the second being read off my hard drive using DAEMON tools 3.47 and emulation enabled. Everything worked fine, until I tried to run the game. The Revelation splash screen popped up for a second, and then a window appeared saying “Myst4.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.” I figured that if it was a problem with it not being the original DVD that it was reading from, the game would have told me to insert the correct disc, but instead, there was the standard Windows XP error message. So I put Disc 2 into my DVD drive, and voila, the game worked fine. Because the DVDs are so big (over 6 GB), I can’t make hard copies of them, and I’d really like to be able to run it off the hard drive, to improve performance. I looked at an online database, and Revelation uses SafeDisc 3.2, but the CloneCD website (at Slysoft) says that it can backup SafeDisc 3 discs. So I am stumped. Does anyone know anything else to try?

Hi NWD91 and welcome to the forums,

I don’t think that SafeDisc protected DVDs are copiable at the moment. You could try using GameJackal www.gamejackal.com at try that for now.

Just in case I didn’t make it clear, I’m not trying to make a copy of this DVD. I am trying to use a virtual drive from my hard drive. As to the fact that it is protected by SafeDisc, I am running The Sims 2 DVD off my hard drive, which I believe is also using SafeDisc. That’s why I can’t figure out what’s going wrong. I used Alcohol 120% for the Sims 2 image file, so is it just that only Alcohol is capable of making a SafeDisc image file?