Problem with my PSU

vbimport

My pc keeps shutting down by itself ever since I upgraded it.

I moved from a Athlon64 3000+, 512 MB RAM and ATI RS480 mobo to a X2 4000+, 2 GB RAM and AMD 690G mobo. The rest of the pc is the same: X1600Pro graphics, 2 DVD writers, 2 HDD’s and a generic 400W PSU.

Sometimes it works for days without a hitch (even under load) and sometimes it shuts down within minutes of booting.
I constantly have to readjust the PSU cable pushing it tightly into it’s socket since even the slightest movement turns it off. I have tried using another cable but it didn’t help.

Is 400W not enough and I need a higher rated PSU or is 400W enough and I only need a replacement for the same?

I doubt its a lack of power (although it could be a failing PSU) as I run an Athlon AM2-4200 3GB of ram (2x 1gb & 2x 512GB), 690G amd mobo, 1TB HDD, ATi 3650 graphics card and a DVD Writer all from a small 120W psu in a slim line case.

By the sounds of it you have a faulty connector on one of the plugs, I would suspect the mobo main plug. You may be able to use a very small pair of plyers to make the connections a tighter fit and also check the bottom of the motherboard for cracks in the solder around the main plug. If you find cracks then you will be looking to return the mobo under warrenty, if its loose plugs and you cannot fix it then a new PSU will be needed.

[QUOTE=qwakrz;2001132]By the sounds of it you have a faulty connector on one of the plugs, I would suspect the mobo main plug.[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you meed by “mobo main plug”?

The socket on the motherboard, could be the PSU too.
//Danne

[QUOTE=varunmehta;2001078]My pc keeps shutting down by itself ever since I upgraded it.

I moved from a Athlon64 3000+, 512 MB RAM and ATI RS480 mobo to a X2 4000+, 2 GB RAM and AMD 690G mobo. The rest of the pc is the same: X1600Pro graphics, 2 DVD writers, 2 HDD’s and a generic 400W PSU.

Sometimes it works for days without a hitch (even under load) and sometimes it shuts down within minutes of booting.
I constantly have to readjust the PSU cable pushing it tightly into it’s socket since even the slightest movement turns it off. I have tried using another cable but it didn’t help.

Is 400W not enough and I need a higher rated PSU or is 400W enough and I only need a replacement for the same?[/QUOTE]

Don’t just go by the 400W that could be max load not actually working load voltages or watts…look at your lable on your PS and it should tell you the read working voltage and watts… But do as the other posters said recheck your power connects to your motherboard and card and drives…to make sure they are seated correctly and also check your CPU to see if the heat sink is properly seated otherwise this can also shutdown your computer as well…but from what your describing sounds like irratic PS is causing arching or shorts or improper connections is loose and causing the PS to finally shut down…The last statement your describing sounds like bad PS connectors or PS supply itself is reaching the end of it’s operation life usage and is time to get a larger and better quality PS around 600 Watts…running not Max…Plus they are inexpensive to expensive depending how much you want to spend but this is a safe investment if you plan to use it for long time…but that is my opinion and from what of my experience with my system builds that I done over time…

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2001318]The socket on the motherboard, could be the PSU too.
//Danne[/QUOTE]
It’s probably nothing to do with the mobo because when the pc refuses to start, the only thing that helps is removing the psu main cable and pushing it back in firmly.