Problem with my NEC burner!

Hello!
I have a problem with my burner type _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A. The problem started today. Every time I put a CD in (blank, original or burned) it doesn’t read it. It’s like I didn’t put any disc in at all, but if I put a DVD in (any kind) it reads it. If anyone knows what the problem might be, please help me!

Thank you very much! :bow:

Hi,it seems that I am not the only one with this problem,your drive is gone down the drain,I spoke to nec uk and I quote “you have just been unlucky and got a bad drive” mine was also a 3540a with the same fault just five weeks out of warranty,wonder if this is going to snowball,nec wont admit to a problem cos they would have to admit to a quality issue and start replacing drives that have a lifespan of a housefly,do as i have done ,buy from a different manufacturer because nec support will not do anything about it just fob you off.

If this would happen to me I would probably just switch to Plextor. I have never used one myself but they are regarded as being one of the best DVD writer manufacturers in the world. Anyways, good luck!

If anyone else could shed some light on this problem, I’d appreciate it. I JUST installed a 6750 and burned about 30 DVDs and maybe 10 CDs and midway through a CD it crapped out and gave me an error. Now it won’t recognize any CD (sounds similar to gipsychick25) but will recognize DVDs (blank or otherwise). I’ll be sending an email to NEC for sure, but is it really toast?

It could be that the CD part is dead.
Try a bootable CD to ensure that, as it may also be that it’s a software or config issue.

I tried blank CDs, audio CDs, and CDs that came with software. What’s a bootable CD? Sorry - I’m trying to learn about computers…

A bootable CD = something like your OS (Windows?) CD would do the trick, just put it in the NEC and try and boot off it :slight_smile:

Well, I tried that this morning and it didn’t work :frowning: Anything else to try? Also, can you recommend a different brand to try? Or, maybe, just to stick with NEC and hope that this is just a fluke?

^^ Anybody? Please?

It could be that your drive’s CD part is fully dead then.
The newer Sony NEC Optiarc drives are very good performers.
If you want a drive from another brand then I recommend the LiteOn LH-18A1P :smiley:

Bummer! Thanks for your help, though :slight_smile: