Problem with my HP dvd1140i DVD Writer!

vbimport

It’s simple you guys…I have a HP dvd1140i DVD Writer (really the second one ive had to buy in a year!) same model and same make. Whenever i put a disc in nothing happens! I even brought it to the geek squad and they aint do shit! I ve been on the hp website to look for formware update but all it says is it cannot find the page for the updates to this device. Please help!!!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

You say “whenever I put a disc in…” - would this be both CD and DVD, pressed or burned discs…?

Or are you talking about the LightScribe part of the drive?

Hopefully with enough info, we’ll help you get it sorted. :slight_smile:

Well with any cd or dvd. In order to play a dvd i had to upload power dvd and watch dvds through that program. If i want to just play a cd i have to put it in the cd drive below my dvd drive just to listen to it. The Real problem is I am an audio engineer and when ever i get installation disc for mixing programs like Pro Tools or Ableton live…Etc I cant use the drive to install them because it doesnt work properly! Nothing shows up on my screen and whenever I try to open my computer and click on the dvd drive its in, itll freeze up or it’ll just show me the files on the disc itself instead of just opening it!

For playing DVDs (as in movies etc), that’s normal - depending on the version of Media Player you have, you may need a third-party plugin to play them.

A great (free) alternative is VLC, which will play any type of media file you can throw at it, plus pressed DVD movies too. I have it installed on all my PCs. :slight_smile:

Have you tried fiddling with the Autoplay settings for that particular drive?

Also, maybe make sure DMA is enabled for that drive (see the link in my signature, “How to check/enable DMA”), if only just to rule that out as a cause of the occasional freezing up when you try to access a disc.

If you could, a list of any software which might affect/access your DVD drives would be great, too. :slight_smile:

EDIT: If you are using the same IDE cable that you used with your previous drive, then it maybe worthwhile swapping that out for a new one, if all else fails.

MAN!!! Now when i go to my computer to look for the dvd drives I dont even see them!!! I got everything plugged up right! I dont know whats going on.

Recheck the cables and then for drives listed in the BIOS.

[QUOTE=pnicks85;2505284]MAN!!! Now when i go to my computer to look for the dvd drives I dont even see them!!! I got everything plugged up right! I dont know whats going on.[/QUOTE]

If both the DVD drives are plugged into the same flat IDE cable, then Chef’s advice is sound, as I’d say it’s either a problem with the cable itself, or it’s not plugged in snugly (check both the connection to the drives, and to the motherboard).

Let us know how you get on. :slight_smile: