Problem with MTKFLASH

vbimport

I've a "little" problem with MTKFLASH. When I launch it, it displays "MTKFLASH by Joseph Lin, MTK 1998 (Ver 1.48)", followed by a blinking cursor. It does not anything else (neither backing-up current BIOS, nor flashing with a new one). If anyone knows this problem and his solution, I'm very interested ...
Thanxk in advance.

My hardware configuration :
- Lite-On 40125S
- ABIT KA7-100 (KX 133)
- Athlon
- IBM HD

read this:

First make a boot diskette on a w9x/me/dos computer to use to boot the computer since these tricks must be done in real DOS.

Download mtkflash version 1.48 here.

Unzip mtkflash to the floppy disc or to a FAT16/32 formatted drive.

Now make sure that the drive that you are going to read the firmware from/write firmware to is connected to the main IDE controller and not to a secondary IDE controller card. Also write down/remember how it’s connected.

Boot your computer from the diskette containing the system files and make sure that NO CD-ROM drivers is loaded.

Go to the same drive/folder where you have mtkflash.

To backup your firmware type:

MTKFLASH “x” R /B /M filename.bin

Where “x” is a number from 1 to 4:

1: Primary master
2: Primary slave
3: Secondary master
4: Secondary slave

R is for Read out the firmware
/B is to save the firmware as a binary file
/M is to Merge the whole firmware into one file.
filename.bin is just an example, name your file so it will be easy to find back. I use the firmware version as the name like firmware version XS0U will be xs0u.bin. Don’t have the filename longer than 8 characters + bin extension.

The readout process will take a while depending on the flashrom size, the flashrom is normally 128k, 256k or 512k. So just be patient. Note that it’s counting from 0% to 100% several times!

To flash a drive:

MTKFLASH “x” W /B filename.bin

Where “x” is a number from 1 to 4:

1: Primary master
2: Primary slave
3: Secondary master
4: Secondary slave

W is to write a firmware to the flashrom.
/B is to tell the program that the input file is a binary file.
filename.bin is just an example. Write the name of your firmware file here.

This will again take some time, do not reboot, switch power off or something while the flash is in progress. Note that it’s counting from 0% to 100% several times!

Do you already have a dead drive without having a backup firmware? (Now you realize that that was naughty done.) If you know a friend with a identical drive you may just read the firmware out from his drive and flash it onto your drive.

link:

I’ve followed those instructions, and the program still hangs

I’ve found the problem … The drive was in “Cable Select” instead of “Master” …