Problem with media player 11

vbimport

Well i’m having a problem playing the file type AVI Xvid all the rest of the file types are playing except for that one and that includes AVI files as well but the ones with AVI Xvid (yes only that file type) won’t play!

When i open those type of media files my media player 11 freezes (not responding) and i tried everything. I have already installed K lite Codec pack full version so i can assure it’s not a problem with codecs (or is it?) but i can play that type using other media players like VLC. can anybody help?

Also this started to happen after i changed my graphics card. I had a 8500gt which i replaced it with Nvidia 240 gt. Any suggestions?

I have XP with winmedia player 11 (even when i tried using media player classic, it freezes too!)
I reinstalled media player and I reinstalled codec pack more than 5 times! still no luck :confused:

Usually when WMP freezes over some codec, there’s something wrong with the directplay functionality. It’s a real pain to find out which codec or directx/play directive is the guilty one.

Apart from removing any non-relevant driver (perhaps your old ATI drivers are still residing somehwere) i recommend a full reinstallation (not an upgrade, not a repair, no format disk and reinstall from scratch) of the operating system.

You might try installing this xvid codec:
http://www.xvid.org/
A software named GraphEdit shows this file is rendered with ffdshow.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GraphEdit
I don’t have ffdhow directly installed on my OS but the ffdshow .ax is in System32 & registered with regsvr32 . I know one software I have has ffdshow in it’s Program Files folder it is Format Factory. I may have copied the ffdsow.ax from it to System32 & registered it.
I did have ffdshow installed at one time & I may have copied it then but the full install is not on my OS currently.
So my advice is try the XVID codec first & test WMP 11.
If that doesn’t fix it then install ffdshow or FormatFactory & copy the ffdshow.ax & paste it in System32 . Then do a Run/regsvr32 ffdshow.ax

[QUOTE=Thaveesha;2541366]Well i’m having a problem playing the file type AVI Xvid all the rest of the file types are playing except for that one and that includes AVI files as well but the ones with AVI Xvid (yes only that file type) won’t play!

When i open those type of media files my media player 11 freezes (not responding) and i tried everything. I have already installed K lite Codec pack full version so i can assure it’s not a problem with codecs (or is it?) but i can play that type using other media players like VLC. can anybody help?

Also this started to happen after i changed my graphics card. I had a 8500gt which i replaced it with Nvidia 240 gt. Any suggestions?

I have XP with winmedia player 11 (even when i tried using media player classic, it freezes too!)
I reinstalled media player and I reinstalled codec pack more than 5 times! still no luck :confused:[/QUOTE]

I doubt your video card has anything to do with the playback problem. It sounds like the avi files is incompatible with WMP11 playback. Just cause you were able to install the Codec pack is no gurantee it isn’t the problem. Most time if you install a codec and the video files fails to play or freezes it usually means whomever encoded it did the encoding improperly or encoded it with a non standard codec that doesn’t allows correct WMP11/Codec playback. You even proved it by saying with VLC it played it but not with WMP11/Codec that in itself should tell you the file is junk and improperly encoded or poorly made.