Problem with LotR: Extended and DVD Shrink

I can’t seem to get DVDShrink to make a good backup of LotR: Fellowship Extended Edition. This is the process I use that has worked for every other DVD I’ve backed up:

1. Rip files from DVD with DVD Decrypter
  2. Remove “layer break” with IfoEdit
  3. Open modified files in DVDShrink 3.0 b5
  4. Do a Deep Analysis, Re-author, copy over main movie only
  5. Remove all audio streams but one and all subtitles
  6. Encode
  7. Burn with DVD Decrypter

I do just that with LotR Extended, and DVDShrink makes working files, but when I play them in PowerDVD (I always test my files in PowerDVD before burning) there is a bright, flashing square-shaped spot that appears near the middle of the screen about 45 minutes into the film and does not go away. It looks like some kind of artifacting or something. I don’t get what’s wrong. I’ve only tried disc 1, I haven’t tried disc 2 yet.

By the way, it appears that there are two main movie files on the disc (when I load the files in DVDShrink there is one file called “Title 1,2” under Main Movie. When I drag that file over to the new re-author window, it splits it up into Title 1 and Title 2 files, each the same size (each ~4 GB). I’ve been deleting Title 2 and just backing up Title 1… is this the right thing to do? Why are there two different files?

Thanks!

I used just DVDShrink 3.0 on LOR and the results were excellent with all audio included.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I used just DVDShrink 3.0 on LOR and the results were excellent with all audio included.

Are you talking about the extended edition? If so, which main movie file did you use when encoding?

I don’t know what edition it was, it was about 3 hrs, disc one from the 2-disc set. I left everything in.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I don’t know what edition it was, it was about 3 hrs, disc one from the 2-disc set. I left everything in.

Then it must be the regular edition. The Extended Edition is a four disc set, and the movie is split across two discs (the other two discs are special features). I’ve backed up the regular version before with no problems; it’s the EE I’m having trouble with.