Problem with LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

vbimport

I bought this dvd-rw drive a while back, i have recently reinstalled windows xp pro sp2 and it wont play dvds now saying

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection.

Ive tried more than one dvd and they all say the same thing!

Please help me as i need my computer to play dvds for some classes!

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I suggest you to use a dvd player like powerdvd. If your burner is a retail package you should have it in the box. Windows media player is not the best player for dvds :wink:

hi and thanks, i have already installed cyberlink Ppower DVD v5.0 but still it doesnt play
It doesnt come up with an error message, just when i click play nothing happens

actually it comes up with the auto resume box, whichever option i choose it just does nothing again

Is this disc correctly read by a standalone player? If no, then this disc is badly authored and contain errors. Do your drive refuse to read all dvds or only this one?

So far i have tried
Harry potter and the goblet of fire, i think (new one)
Lee evans XL tour
Only fools and horses series 5

None have worked on both WMP and powerDVD

Try to download anydvd from slysoft. Trial version should be good for a test.

With this running in background you should be able to read these discs

Hi, have just downloaded it, it has come up with an error message

or click below to see a larger version of the pic
[img=http://images4.pictiger.com/thumbs/4b/9b6586092f15bd4f87fc1aab75b84c4b.th.jpg]

It seems that you already changed 5 times regional code of your drive. To recover it you need a modified firmware. Sorry, I don’t know where to find it :frowning:

i dont know what that means and i dont know what to do :frowning:

If you insert a disc marked as region 1 in your drive, it appear a prompt asking you to change region setting of your drive. If you insert another disc, for example region 2, then you receive another prompt to change region. You can change region only 5 times, and then region will become permanent.

To see what region is set righ now your drive, you can use imgburn

See image as reference

In this way you can find what region is set your drive right now and how many changes you still have available

it says…
region status: None
vedor resets available 4
user controlled available 5
regions supported none

Maybe your drive is not set for any region, and then refuse to read your discs. What region are your discs? When you insert a disc do you receive a message saying that your drive have not set to a region and to change it?

it has suddenly started asking me to change it to a region (using wmp)
wehen i do try to change it though, it just doesnt let me!

Don’t use WMP anymore. Use imgburn to set your drive for your region. Where do you live? Set your drive to the region where you live (see map as reference)

REMEMBER: you can change region only 5 times, so be careful :wink:

i know about regions, im region 2

imgburn

Failed to change regional code!

this is sooo frustrating :frowning:

What firmware do you have? Try to flash again with an official firmware. Often this solve many problems

i dont know where to get any. it says something like ks04 but i dont know what that is

anyone else please??!!

The latest official firmware for the 1693S is KS0B (LiteOn firmware page here).

If you don’t mind voiding your warranty, Codeguys’ KC4B firmware is excellent, I use it on my own drive. :slight_smile:

Edit: in Device Manager, under DVD/CD-ROM drives, click your LiteOn, and select the DVD Region tab. You should be able to set the region to 2 in that window (you may need to have a R2 disc in the drive while you do this).