Problem with LG GSA-E10L?

Hi there

I’ve been using an LG GSA-E10L external usb 2.0 DVD writer with great success over the past few months (writes HP 16x DVDR in not much more than 5 minutes) but whenever I try to write RiDisc 8x DVD-R (CMC MAG.AE1) it dies at the same point on the disc with a Nero “Focus or tracking error” (Nero log appended). This media works fine in my other drive (Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-830S) so is this just a case of incompatible or cheap media?

The reason I ask is that I found an old thread on some LG drives that suggested there were a bunch of faulty drives around that showed this symptom, and I was wondering if I should get my hardware checked whilst it’s under warranty.

Sláinte

midders

Hardware:
Toshiba Satellite L10 Notebook
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-E10L external USB 2.0 (Firmware GSAE10L_LE07)
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-830S

Software:
Windows XP SP 2
Nero 6.6.1.6
DVD Fab HD Decrypter
DVD Shrink 3.2
ripit4me, DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0, FixVTS etc.

i’d start with different disc. media guide.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/ridisc-dvd-r-cmc-mag-ae1-8/3059#comments

The burn errors out because the burner cannot even recognize the media!
So, go with the advice from [B]troy512[/B] first.
Also, this should be fixed:

Physical memory : 494MB (506288kB)
[B]Free physical memory: 52MB[/B] (53648kB)
Memory in use : 89 %

Thanks for pointing out the memory issue to me; is it normal to have this little memory remaining in XP with only one application running and all Anti-Virus etc. shutdown? Maybe I’m showing my age (my first PC had a 20Mb HD and 2Mb RAM!) but surely half a gig should be enough for one app; or is DVD writing especially memory hungry?

Damn I miss my all SCSI system; I could burn a CD and play Quake 2 at the same time and I never made a coaster.

Sláinte

midders

SCSI still rocks.

Burning needs performance and mem a lot, mostly.

Check out imgburn, it great!