Problem With LG-GSA 4160B (Not Reading Or Writing)

vbimport

I have been bought an LG GSA 4260B for christmas and although it looks very nice in my dvd drive it doesnt seem to work.

I have installed it where i previously had my CD-Writer, this is my first venture into DVD Writing. I have checked all connections and all is well. Windows recognises the drive.

It can play Music CD’s ok, but after a while playback becomes skippy, this occurs mostly when playing back films on DVD’s, back-ups or retail titles.

I havent had chance to burn DVD yet, as i have no media, but trying to burn a CD has proved problematic. I used nero burning rom 5, and whilst it recognises my drive as a DVD-RAM it only seems to want to create an image for any potential files i wish to burn to CD-r. However uysing windows cd burn thing, i can burn files ok to the drive.

This is my first visit to the forum, and i have checked all other posts concerning the 4160B. If this has been repeated then i apologise.

Any help would be appreciated.

My system specs are:

P4 2.0Ghz
640MB RAM
200gig HDD Maxtor
40gig HDD Western Digital
Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks in Advance

Kyle

For burning, you may need to upgrade to the very last version of nero 5, as early versions of nero 5 struggle with the new generation of burners. Try and download the very last update for nero5 and see how you go.

If you got Nero 5 with your old drive, it may be locked for use with that drive, therefore not allowing you to burn to you LG. New software is needed. :sad:

The skippy playback could be that windows has set the drive to PIO mode instead of UDMA. The is especially noticable in media player.

Two ways to check:

If you have intel chipset, you may have Intel Application Accelerator installed(IAA).
Open up IAA, select the LG from the list on the left, the current transfer mode will be listed on the right. It should be UDMA 2. If it is PIO, change the transfer limit either to UDMA2 or No limit.

OR

If no IAA, in windows go to START button, RIGHT click on my computer and select properties. This will bring up System properties box. Click the hardware tab, then click device manager. Click the + at the side of IDE/ATAPI controllers.
Highlight the channel that the drive is on (primary or secondary) and click properties. In the advanced tab, it will allow you to change the transfer mode of the drive to UDMA.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

I’m a little confused over your problems. Can you post some screenshots of your desktop (of course including the problematic scenes)?

I have a similar problem with my 4160B, although not identical. I purchased the drive from a reputable (you can generally never be too careful here in Bangkok) retailer, and other than the general “won’t burn anything other than recommended media” gripe, I haven’t had any major problems with it, until recently. I consider myself fairly computer savvy, although not when it comes to optical drives, so I’m rather frustrated at this point. Here’s the beef, if anyone can help:

Recently, the drive will not read (or recognize) any disc I insert, with a caveat: I have a Kyowa DVD lens cleaner disc that, if inserted before Windows boots, will be recognized and is playable. Other than than, no CD or DVD, burned or otherwise will play, even after the lens cleaner is recognized. Again, another caveat: it seems that sometimes in the morning the blasted drive will function properly, which leads me to believe it’s a heat-related problem. Interesting, because it’s never done this before and I have beaucoup fans in my computer. Here’s the trouble that I’ve shot so far:

UDMA, working, mode 4
Drive recognized by WindowsXP Home properly
Firmware: latest, A302

My rig is fairly old, I use it for audio production (amateur) and consists of an AMD Athlon 1800+, 512 megs of DDR333, an Asus A7S333 mainboard, nVidia AGP dual head graphics card, sundry other PCI cards (network, USB 2.0, modem,) no major IRQ conflicts, and the GSA-4160B is slaved on the first IDE channel to a Western Digital HDD I use for the system drive. The secondary IDE channel is a swappable IDE interface (I have 2 more WD disks for audio and archive) and an LG GCE-8520B CD-R/W drive slaved to that.

Anyway, if anyone could help, I’d be grateful…I’m new to this forum, as far as posting goes. I guess I’ll get my room fan and blast cold air at the drive to see if that helps. The problem is that I can’t get it to replicate its behavior consistantly. Just when I think it’s totally shot, it kicks in.

Thanks for any help and sorry for rambling,
DM

Only in the morning? The drive sleeps the rest of the day? :bigsmile:

First of all, I’m sorry for all those who bought GSA-4160B instead of GSA-4163B but then nobody told me to tell people to wait for 63 and forget 60. :sad:

Sleep seems the appropriate term, as sometimes if I insert a disc (XP install CD or one of a few DVDs) during reboot I can slap it back into consciousness long enough to recognize the disc. But once I swap the disc for another, forget about it. It seems to work randomly and only after a reboot. I guess I’m going to call the support line and take it in, since it’s still under warranty. When I purchased the drive it was due to the fact that it had the lowest price for the spec. of any other drive in the store. I didn’t do the research (which I normally do before making any purchases like that) but I’m crossing my fingers that the replacement unit will function properly.

DM

In South Korea, usually LG and Samsung call each customer who requested service (RMA in USA) and explain what options are available and wait for each customer to make a decision. If a customer asks what happened to the drive sent for service, an engineer might invite to the test desk and demonstrate and explain. Same with Lite-On. Samsung’s been far better than LG so far.

BTW, LG has recently also announced “no dead pixel policy” in their LCD monitors after Samsung did. :slight_smile: