Problem with LDW-851S

Hi all,

This is a new drive for me to replace my older Ricoh, (which was a good burner but would only burn DVD+R). I am currently having problems with my Lite On LDW-851S burning on DVD-R discs by getting about 6 or so slight and quick ‘freeze-ups’ per movie. They are only momentary and then the DVD continues to play. I use Ritek media and have had all perfect burns using DVD+R with my deceased Ricoh.

I have heard that the Lite On burner does not really like DVD-R? Is this the case? AT first I thought that burning to DVD-R @ 4x may be the cause, so I slowed to 2x with little to no improvement.

Can anybody help please? I have no real idea what version firmware I am using btw and am unsure how to find out. I guess it could always be my DVD player but up until I got the Lite On, everything was fine.

Cheers.

What kind of media are you using? Could you specify the media code?

Hi quietman,

I’m new in this forum, but thanks to codeguys :bow: I have solved many issues related with burning reliability at high speed both for DVD-R and DVD+R :slight_smile: .

First of all you should upgrade your firmware to the newest omnipatched VS08 which will turn your 851S to an 832S providing you better burn and many features.
Then I would suggest you to use good media like Taiyo Yuden for both DVD-R and DVD+R (Verbatim DataLifePlus Advanced AZO made in Japan, 5 Pastel Disc in slimcase) or less expensive RICOH (from TDK, Verbatim made in Taiwan, SONY, LG).

Hope this helps you, bye.

N.B. For firmware upgrade see “OmniPatcher for LiteOn DVD-Writers” forum and related threads.

Hi all and thank you for the replies.

Using KProbe2 here is the info on my current lot of blank media:

Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer RiTEK Corporation
Media ID RITEKG04
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 4.38 GB
Free Blocks 2297888
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 3.2x
Maximum Write Speed 4.0x
Current Write Speed 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2.0x CLV

As suggested, I have downloaded the Omnipatcher, (ver 1.3.5), and the Latest “Recommended Tweaks” File: Revision 2-03, along with the GS0K - stock (for use with the OmniPatcher).

I ran Omnipatcher and loaded the GSOK.bin file and applied the recommended DVD media tweaks, (in Omnipatcher), after selecting RITEKG04 as my media type. I also selected to Enable auto-bitsetting, (I decided not to try and mess with the burn speeds). I saved this to my HD and then ran Firmware Flashing Tool for Windows ver 1.0.0.0, selected my DVD burner from the drop-down list and checked the UPDATE box.

This is all new to me but I think I have done everything that I can the update my DVD burner to it’s latest and greatest firmware version? :rolleyes:

I intend to now try a DVD backup @ 4x and see how it goes.

Once again…thanks all for the help.

P.S. Have I done everything correctly?

One other thing you might want to consider, Do you do alot of things, or have alot of programs running while you’re ripping/shrinking the movies you’re burning?
it might not hurt to kill some proggies and just let your computer sit while it rips/shrinks.
I used to have problems with audio cd’s awhile back when I was doing other things on the computer while converting mp3’s to wavs, etc.
It’s worth a shot at least if your other resolution doesn’t pan out.