Problem with internet?

vbimport

i know this may not be the right forum to ask this problem but theres a lot of clever guys on here that may be able to figure it out!
if i leave my internet on downloading something it cuts the connection but still says its connected on the status tray on the bottom right,and if i try to disconnect it manually it wont let me and just freezes that option.but it doesnt affect anything else on my computer just the internet capability!!so i have to keep restarting the computer to get the internet back on!!its really starting to frustrate me as it takes me days to download something.is there some sort of timeout or something???please help me???

Without knowing all the perticulars , ie: if dial up , cable , dsl , i would suggest you contact your isp , they should be able to help …

years ago…my old dial-up isp used to timeout if it percieved inactivity…AOL used to do this also…my experience lately is that if I leave a program like limwire running…that app will stall if left running all night.

As kissparo, mor info would be helpful…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ZigZagMan]years ago…my old dial-up isp used to timeout if it percieved inactivity…AOL used to do this also…my experience lately is that if I leave a program like limwire running…that app will stall if left running all night.

Agree with what you said , when i had dial -up ( long time ago ) , it would also kickout if inactive for a period of time … but he/she stated it’s downloading when this happens if i read correctly … i’m suspecting he/she on dial up … sometimes it can be the phone line and depending how far he is from the company’s central , if dial up , sometimes a download manager can help with this issue also … or he’s got a crappy isp …
Btw , anybody still use AOL anymore ,hopefully it’s changed … tried it once when i had dialup (free trial floppies then cd’s you’d get in the mail every week it seemed) , man was it ever bloated with junk … oh well getting off topic …

been years since dial-up myself…but that isp…considered inactivity and “keyboard/mouse inactivity”, so downloading or not…no clicks…inactive. Same with AOL back then too. No idea what AOL does now…they are still big in the states but haven’t used them in years…:slight_smile:

AOL used to timeout back in the day because they used to charge by the minute and people wouid get pissed if they forgot to shut it uoff. anyone remember payin gfor internet by the minute? what a pain!

my internet frequently quits working, but it isn’t the fault of the ISP. in fact, there’s still a signal coming in on the modem and visible in the network connections box similar to the original poster’s problem.

my problem lies with a cheap router.

the original poster didn’t describe what type of connection he has or whether it’s connected directly to the computer or via a router so I guess mine is yet another random guess at the issue.

instead of restarting the computer, try just resetting your router next time and see if that works. if that’s the case then your router is at fault.

Doesnt tiscali broadband have a fair useage condition? Where if you are connected to the internet all the time and downloading all the time they cap you or something? I never understood that b.s though. im with bt.

that is who im with tiscali,im on the 1 meg unlimited plan,with a sagem 800 modem on dial up if that helps???

I think this is not unusual for Tiscali. Whilst their package is very attractive , moneywise, I think they give very poor service. The sagem also tends to give problems as a friend of mine will testify. It might be worth trying a different ADSL modem like Alcatel.