Problem with GSA-H21L after Vista upgrade

vbimport

Hello all,

I have a GSA-H21L that came with my HP computer, after upgrading to Vista the drive won’t recognize a blank DVD or CD when I want to burn something, it acts as though the drive is empty. This is with a few different programs I’ve tried, Sonic, Nero, nothing works. Everything was fine with Win XP before Vista. Any other disk is fine and can be read, such as games, programs, etc. Is it something that I’m going to have to wait for an updated firmware or driver to fix? Also, is this update going to come from HP, because I went to the LG website and I can’t find anything on an H21L writer, I’m thinking it’s because it’s an OEM drive. Thanks in advance for any help.

No advice from anyone?

This is not a hardware problem, but OS and software. Are your burning applications Vista compliant?

Is it something that I’m going to have to wait for an updated firmware or driver to fix?

More than likely – Yes

Also, is this update going to come from HP,

Again, more than likely yes, that’s what OEM means. It is up to
HP to maintain and update the device.

So I would go to HP to look for a Vista driver.

Since my burner worked without any problems before I upgraded to Vista, I figured it was software related, I was just looking for some friendly advice. Yes, I tried the latest version of Nero, which is compatable with Vista, and it didn’t help. I’ve been checking HP’s website but no driver/firmware updates, I thought that maybe someone would know if my model would be compatable with another and be able to use a different driver/firmware.

No, you cannot use the firmware of other similar models. LG OEM models are usually slightly different from their retail counterparts. Using the firmware of another similar model may end up killing your drive. So it isn’t recommended.

In any case, I don’t think this has anything to do with firmware. I think this has to do with Vista itself not being compatible properly with your drive.

It is certainly not a compatibility problem with the OS.