Problem with firmware update for Samsung HT-BD1250

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just updated the firmware for my HT-BD1250 blu-ray player. This firmware upgrade just became available on sept. 30, and after the update was complete, I have been having some major problems with my system.

First, it wont even play a dvd or blu ray disc… the screen just says ‘load’ whenever I put in a disc. Even when I don’t put a disc in the tray and close it, it still says ‘load’ and won’t let me get to the menu to stream netflix. So whether I am trying to watch a dvd or get to the menu to stream netflix, the screen remains blank while the screen on my player says ‘load’.

I tried resetting the player, unplugging it and plugging it back in, and I tried to let it load for over two hours – and nothing has worked. The wierd thing is that the surround sound still works when I watch direct tv. It seems like upgrading the firmware made things worse!

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is???

[QUOTE=ggrreegg;2444135][qanda]This thread is about the Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just updated the firmware for my HT-BD1250 blu-ray player. This firmware upgrade just became available on sept. 30, and after the update was complete, I have been having some major problems with my system.

First, it wont even play a dvd or blu ray disc… the screen just says ‘load’ whenever I put in a disc. Even when I don’t put a disc in the tray and close it, it still says ‘load’ and won’t let me get to the menu to stream netflix. So whether I am trying to watch a dvd or get to the menu to stream netflix, the screen remains blank while the screen on my player says ‘load’.

I tried resetting the player, unplugging it and plugging it back in, and I tried to let it load for over two hours – and nothing has worked. The wierd thing is that the surround sound still works when I watch direct tv. It seems like upgrading the firmware made things worse!

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is???[/QUOTE]

I had the exact same issue. Identical… except it occurred in the late evening of Sept. 29th when the “New Firmware Available” message displayed for the first time when I turned on the unit.

I selected Yes to the upgrade option, followed all the prompts, received a message that the update was successful and that the machine would then automatically power off. When I powered it back on, the machine was frozen with the “LOAD” message on the LED display on the front panel. I could still switch the machine to AUX for sound for my satellite… but the machine would not play a DVD or go to the start-up screen that allows you to select Netflix/Pandora, etc. Nor could I bring up the menu.

I tried the same “fixes” that you tried… and some others as well. Nothing worked. I sent an email support request to Samsung that evening (after hours) and also phoned in for support the next morning.

Both responses stated that resetting the machine would fix the problem… although, oddly, each gave a different method for doing the reset. Via email, the “reset” was described as holding down the >>| button for 5 seconds… while over the phone the “reset” was su[pposed to be holding done the Stop button for 10 seconds.

Didn’t matter. Neither worked. The machine was locked into “LOAD” as soon as it powered up and all commands/controls were locked out… included the fallback safety reset option.

Per the tech on the phone support, the machine must have had a hardware failure and needed to be sent back to the factory. That’s a load of buffalo cookies. These techs, unfortunately, are nothing more than Script Kitties and if your issue isn;t one of the few they have scripted in there books, they automatically fall back on “hardware issue” and tell you to send your machine in for service.

My solution was to take it back to the store (Best Buy w/ extended warranty) where I bought it. They knew exactly what the problem was and I was obviously not the first person in that day with the same problem. I had only brought in the main box (head), not all the speakers, etc… so they pulled a new head out of boxed unit on the shelf and exchanged for my old one.

I had to reset everything on the new unit, of course… including resubmitting the activation codes for Netflix and Pandora. And, of course, I now have to say “[B]NO!![/B]” every time it prompts me to update the Firmware… at least until I find confirmation on-line that Samsung has fixed the firmware update.

So the bad news is… your BD1250 is honked beyond repair. Take it back to the store where you bought it and get another one… if you can. Otherwise, you will probably have to send it in to Samsung to have it replaced.

• Samsung obviously released a defective firmware update that literally destroys the unit. If the bad update affects all of the BD1250 models, Samsung is going to take it in the shorts, big time. Possibly, it only affects certain machines… or perhaps only the automatic online update procedure is bad. But either way, we are certainly not alone with this problem.

• Keep checking on-line for any news updates or official word from Samsung about the problem.

Hi i just wunded if you might know about this,i am not having the same prob as you but i am trying to stream from my pc to my ht bd 1250 but when i connect it all up the system finds my pc but keeps askin me for a user name and password but no matter what i put in it just keeps saying incorrect user name and password,i have windows vista on my pc and samsung keep saying it wont work with vista and i need to speak to microsoft so i rang them and they said no idea what your on about so do you have any ideas about this thanks very much

Hi,
Same problem happened with my HT-1250 in the evening the 30th, it’s very obvious Samsung has released a broken SW that makes all unit useless. I have returned my unit to the place were I bought it.
They must get many units in return.

The same thing happened to me around the 3rd except I have the BD-P1590 model, I called Samsung and the tech guy said to me “you’re not gonna like this but you need to send the machine in for repair”. I told him I wasnt paying for shipping or anything and he said it would be taken care of. I asked him if they were getting alot of calls regarding this exact issue and he told me no more than usual. I found another site where many people are having same problem. Samsung needs to get their act together with these updates or else they will have another lawsuit on their hands.

Also, I am not sure if I should just return it to Costco for another and start over but I cannot remember if it allows me to say No to the FW update cause then it would be pointless getting a new one and having the same issue happen!

[QUOTE=Gabryelle;2447386]The same thing happened to me around the 3rd except I have the BD-P1590 model, I called Samsung and the tech guy said to me “you’re not gonna like this but you need to send the machine in for repair”. I told him I wasnt paying for shipping or anything and he said it would be taken care of. I asked him if they were getting alot of calls regarding this exact issue and he told me no more than usual. I found another site where many people are having same problem. Samsung needs to get their act together with these updates or else they will have another lawsuit on their hands.

Also, I am not sure if I should just return it to Costco for another and start over but I cannot remember if it allows me to say No to the FW update cause then it would be pointless getting a new one and having the same issue happen![/QUOTE]
I just downloaded the new firmware and it has crashed my unit too. I just have “LOAD” on the LCD tried turning off and on, unplugging for 5 mins, and system reboot (holding stop for 5 seconds). Nothing has worked to fix the problem. I HATE samsung! I work for a major mobile phone company in the tech department and it is well known not to buy samsung phones, as they all have major software problems. I plan on taking my unit back to point of purchase. Thank god i’m still within my 30 day exchange period.

Just wanted to throw my “hat in the ring” here and say that my wife, bless her heart, installed the FIRMWARE update. Sure enough, the head until just says “LOAD” I’m going to make a similar post on Best Buy’s website.

Back to Best Buy I go to return …

Until the firmware update, the sound is fantastic, video is great, and I love it!!

Zach Underwood
Seattle, WA

I just experiment the exactly same issue with my HT-BD1250.
Tried same king of plug/unplug, or upgrade again … but nothing works sofar.
I put question onto the Samsung support just now …
Any news on your side ?
vh

Vincent –

Basically, you have two options at this point

1. Take it back to the store where purchased, exchange for a new one … and swear you’ll never do another firmware upgrade again.
  • OR -
  1. Contact Samsung Technical Support where they will direct you to the nearest Authorized Service Center for repair

At least, that’s what I learned during my phone call to Samsung tech support this afternoon.

Wish I had better news. I elected for option #1.

Zach Underwood
Seattle, WA

Many thanks for your reply,

I think I do the as you … and swear not upgrading …
:iagree:

vh

[QUOTE=zachunderwood;2465124]Vincent –

Basically, you have two options at this point

1. Take it back to the store where purchased, exchange for a new one … and swear you’ll never do another firmware upgrade again.
  • OR -
  1. Contact Samsung Technical Support where they will direct you to the nearest Authorized Service Center for repair

At least, that’s what I learned during my phone call to Samsung tech support this afternoon.

Wish I had better news. I elected for option #1.

Zach Underwood
Seattle, WA[/QUOTE]