Problem with Fair Use Wizard (DIVX)

i am having a problem converting a dvd to xvid with fair use wizard, i’ve used the program many times to convert original and copied dvd’s with no problems, but now i’m trying to copy a burnt dvd with Fair use but it won’t go past 1% then it gives me a message that it can’t be read, but it plays fine on my computer and my home dvd player. the only difference now is that the dvd i am trying to convert is a pirate dvd (filmed in theatre) fair use wizard finds the movie, just can’t copy it to computer. any ideas? any other programs i can use as simple as fair use wizard?

Unfortunately since you don’t own the video or dvd, we can’t help you there. Might want to go and read the forum rules again.

Hi,

I have a travel laptop with just a small harddrive so I try to convert some films (from my dvds) to smaller (700 mb) .avi files.

It worked for 2, but since then it says “cannot convert the dvd, could not create temp file”.

What does that mean and where is the problem??

thx,

Elli

[QUOTE=fragensteller;2684948]
…small harddrive …

…could not create temp file…

What does that mean and where is the problem??[/QUOTE]

It will need to store the dvd data somewhere and if there is no room for it …

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2684985][I]…small harddrive …
…could not create temp file…[/I]
What does that mean and where is the problem??It will need to store the dvd data somewhere and if there is no room for it …[/QUOTE]

What is it that you don’t understand??
I only explained why I want to convert DVDs to smaller files.
There is enough space on the drive (output is 700 mb for the .avi and 2 gb for the temp files, hard drive space is 33 gb.

The problem is that Fairuse says "cannot create temp files."
It has worked before, with less space, btw.

It’s because the Temp files used during the conversion are larger than the space you have available on your harddrive.
Once the conversion is finished most conversion software deletes the temp files.
Those can be as much a 8GB .
I haven’t use the software you are using but I suspect that is what is happening.
Read in your post you have 33GB is that free space ?

What you need is something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152139
I looked up the one I have & it is now out of stock but I think it might be your solution.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2684985]It will need to store the dvd data somewhere and if there is no room for it …[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cholla;2685017]It’s because the Temp files used during the conversion are larger than the space you have available on your harddrive.
Read in your post you have 33GB is that free space ?
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, this is bullshit. The temp files will never be bigger than 33gb!!
I have converted a couple of dvds, the temp files were ~ 2gb, as I said.

If you don’t know that software, ok.
Would be useful to talk to someone who knows it and has already used it!

The Lite version is free I may give it a try .
I don’t know if it will produce the same error.

I’ve used the program in the distant past, but rarely use avi files anymore.

The people who have answered you have given the most common reason for this type of failure. It may or not apply to your situation, but given the information that you have provided, their answers are not unreasonable.

You haven’t said if the dvds are unencrypted or not. In the past, Fair Use Wizard did not have decryption capability. For this particular dvd, you might want to run AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey in the background (there are free trials for both), as you try to use Fair Use Wizard.

I downloaded the FairUse Wizard 3D LE Version 1.0.
I’ve installed it & it is doing a commercial DVD.
I’m using AnyDVDHD as the decrypter.

fragensteller left too quick for me to ask if this was the version he is using or close.
Or if he used a decrypter of any kind…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2685032]I’ve used the program in the distant past, but rarely use avi files anymore.

The people who have answered you have given the most common reason for this type of failure. It may or not apply to your situation, but given the information that you have provided, their answers are not unreasonable.

You haven’t said if the dvds are unencrypted or not. In the past, Fair Use Wizard did not have decryption capability. For this particular dvd, you might want to run AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey in the background (there are free trials for both), as you try to use Fair Use Wizard.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

disc space cannot be the reason as I have 33gb free and by now I have converted 8 original dvds from different countries to .avi.
I checked the temp folder size, again: ~ 2gb each time.

8 out of 12 dvds worked.
Anydvd is running in the background but it works without it as well (for those which worked).

Fairuse is “Fairuse wizard 2 LE” for Win7.

How do I know if my dvds are encrypted? It’s usual dvds that you buy in media stores or via amazon :wink:

thx
Elli

[QUOTE=cholla;2685036]I downloaded the FairUse Wizard 3D LE Version 1.0.
I’ve installed it & it is doing a commercial DVD.
I’m using AnyDVDHD as the decrypter.

fragensteller left too quick for me to ask if this was the version he is using or close.
Or if he used a decrypter of any kind…[/QUOTE]

I use Fairuse 2, Light Edition / Win7 and Anydvd (which is not necessary, because it worked with some DVDs as well when not running).

Sorry for being misunderstood, when I told you about the small hard drive it was just to explain why I want to convert the DVDs - it’s only for putting it on the travel laptop when I go abroad.

I downloaded another version & it’s window says " FairUse Wizard 3D R2 LE "
at the top. That may be as close as I can come .
I have it doing a commercial DVD right now. It wouldn’t work without AnyDVDHD activated. If needed I can give the error it has without AnyDVDHD.
With the first version I tried it used 7.82GB but that shouldn’t be having trouble in 33GB freespace. If this version tests about the same then I can test a different DVD.
Most of the size was the temp files if I hadn’t unchecked the “Delete intermediate files” it probably would just be the .avi size of 700MB.
So far it is running without problems.
So the problem may be with some specific DVD’s.
I just used a simple name for the project & didn’t select any of the available buttons.

Encryption will be found on virtually every commercially made dvd found in the market. The exceptions to this are very rare. I think I’ve found three in the past ten years.

But encryption methods will vary, and newer types require more advanced decryption techniques. I suspect Fair Use Wizard has added some type of simple decryption module, which only deals with CSS encryption, which is the oldest and least advanced encryption found on dvds. It is also the most common.

Are you certain that you have the latest version of AnyDVD? It should be able to remove any type of encryption on dvds, and is updated more often than anything else. Here is the latest download: http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
You will have to have a valid license to use the latest version.

Yes, the encryption. I wondered if the original temp messages weren’t tantamount to “magma displacement” errors.

Also, it’s common for video-processes to create temp-paging-files that use hard-disk space while the process is on-going, but won’t be saved to the hard-disk at all. But they’ll ask for X contiguous space and perhaps “33Gb” isn’t the issue but “% of free disk space”, as well.

Since only a minority of disks are showing this odd error, I’d go back to ‘magma displacement’ as the catch-all error when encryption might create a seemingly endless-loop of writing out a Temp file.

Christine , Is what you are saying is a request is possibly being made for a “% of free disk space” & when not enough is found a error like the “cannot convert the dvd, could not create temp file” might happen. Even when the space hadn’t been used? This would not show as used space for that reason . So would go undetectable.
Interesting. Have you ever seen or had this happen?
If a decrypter like AnyDVD was being used could it still happen?

In a most imperfect world, “33Gb of Free Space” might be thirty-three 1Gb segments, when my page-file needs a 2Gb continguous block. If the program isn’t written to handle this situation, then “insufficient space” errors might result instead of the program sifting thru all the pieces and adding in a lot of Begin-End Block Addresses to that needed Temp Page-File. After all, Temp Page Files are meant to be quick-quick-quick - some programmers might say, “Issue one Beginning Sector address and one Ending Sector address - and I’ll cross my fingers that there’s 2Gb of space in between.”

Let’s say I have a 200Gb HDD. 33Gb isn’t much, and the likelihood that I’d find a continguous block in that 33Gb total would be increasingly small. After all, I don’t gobble up 167Gb of disk space without creating a lot of fragmentation along the way.

But in this case, I believe he would have suffered these “magma displacement” errors on all of the DVDs, if this was the case.

Since it’s only a few, I think Kerry’s pondered Decryption Issues could be a likelier case. I’ve had recent versions of DVD Fab fail with CRC errors - which can be their “magma displacement” catch-all for unexpected data-findings - yet DVD SHRINK solves it using it’s bare minimum blunt-force method.

CH-I’m not hearing any Pampa references with the West news. Are you?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2685093] CH-I’m not hearing any Pampa references with the West news. Are you?[/QUOTE]
I haven’t heard any. Which Pampa explosion the Celenese one about 1987 or the gas pipeline one of last year?
Unless I missed one.

Second DVD of another movie worked fine a little less than 7GB with temp files.
I also figured out how to not get subtitles I couldn’t turn off. Small problem of using a program the first time.

I didn’t get the problem & haven’t ever had a similar one. Of couldn’t create file for lack of space.
I have my main drive partitioned .My C: partition which is the one I use most as it has the OS on it. I used it for this only has 20 GB free space on it. 30GB used space. So I though it would make a good test for the error. The other partition on this drive is H: & is 180GB. It is rarely used . I us another 500GB internal drive to write most movie rips to.

[QUOTE=cholla;2685056]
So far it is running without problems.
So the problem may be with some specific DVD’s.
I just used a simple name for the project & didn’t select any of the available buttons.[/QUOTE]

Which [I]buttons [/I]do you mean?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2685065]
Are you certain that you have the latest version of AnyDVD? It should be able to remove any type of encryption on dvds, and is updated more often than anything else. Here is the latest download: http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
You will have to have a valid license to use the latest version.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you - I have both. Downloaded the latest version a couple of days ago and the license is valid.

So it might be a specific DVD problem. Tough!