Problem with enhanced DVD's

I’ve used DVDFab for a year or so, and have updated to the most recent DVDFab Platinum 5.0.3.0 version. But I have never been able to figure out how to backup enhanced DVD’s such as Rambo 2 or 3. I put the disc in and it never finishes reading it. Is there some kind of setting that needs to be changed. Any help would be appreciated.

Try disabling pathplayer in the settings

If enhanced means non-DVD stuff like computer games on the disk, you may have to clone it (make a bit for bit copy) to get all that stuff.

I tried to disable pathplayer and it still wouldn’t finish reading discs. I’ve even tried to do film only cutting out extra and menus with no luck. I’ll try to make a clone copy but I think there is to much content on the disc for a 4.7gb disc. Thanks again and i’ll definitely try those suggestions.

[QUOTE=J264514;2074726]I tried to disable pathplayer and it still wouldn’t finish reading discs. I’ve even tried to do film only cutting out extra and menus with no luck. I’ll try to make a clone copy but I think there is to much content on the disc for a 4.7gb disc. Thanks again and i’ll definitely try those suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Here something to try have you just tried to play the dvd to see if they worked on standalone? If dvdfab is trying and trying to read it, could be you bought a bad dvd set-return it then for a working one. JMO

[QUOTE=J264514;2074726]I tried to disable pathplayer and it still wouldn’t finish reading discs. I’ve even tried to do film only cutting out extra and menus with no luck. I’ll try to make a clone copy but I think there is to much content on the disc for a 4.7gb disc. Thanks again and i’ll definitely try those suggestions.[/QUOTE]

You can’t clone to a SL disc, you’ll need a dual layer for that. Unless of course the original is a single layer disc, and some are. Rambo is not however.

I’m an idiot. It won’t even play on my pc. It’s scrambled up like it needs decrypting. Works fine in my regular DVD player though. Sorry to waste everybodys time. Thanks to all for the help.

[QUOTE=90312;2074757]You can’t clone to a SL disc, you’ll need a dual layer for that. Unless of course the original is a single layer disc, and some are. Rambo is not however.[/QUOTE]

That is wrong there you can use DVD fab plat to clone a SL disc all you need is another SL disc to do that and you can clone DL media with DL media and if I remember correctly you can compress DL to SL media. So the premise you just stated is incorrect. Now to use DL media you will need a DL media burner that will do DL media burning but that burner will also do SL media as well. Without knowing what the enhanced dvd is doesn’t give much to go on.

[QUOTE=J264514;2074920]I’m an idiot. It won’t even play on my pc. It’s scrambled up like it needs decrypting. Works fine in my regular DVD player though. Sorry to waste everybodys time. Thanks to all for the help.[/QUOTE]

What software player did you use to play the dvd movie??

[quote=coolcolors;2074943]That is wrong there you can use DVD fab plat to clone a SL disc all you need is another SL disc to do that and you can clone DL media with DL media and if I remember correctly you can compress DL to SL media. So the premise you just stated is incorrect. Now to use DL media you will need a DL media burner that will do DL media burning but that burner will also do SL media as well. Without knowing what the enhanced dvd is doesn’t give much to go on.[/quote]Clone mode does not apply compression, but most of the others do.

Hi J264514,

No, you’re not an idiot, nor do I think you’re wasting anyone’s time.

Like 90312, I usually think “enhanced” means the addition of non-dvd stuff, but you never know so I looked up this “enhanced” set and it seems the first 3 Rambos were enhanced to play on the newer 16X9 TVs and in 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Sometimes these discs just do lousy with compression unless you can strip it down just to the main title …period.
So the original will play in the standalone player, but not in the pc?
Try using VLC media player…it’s free and it’s a little gem of a player…will play darn near anything and does not rely on outside codecs.
There’s a link in my sig.

You can try to do the whole disc in[B] Full Disc [/B]mode. This will allow you to compress to fit on an SL disc (and also to a DL with no compression) depending on your selected “target size”.

Now, [B]Full Disc[/B] will even allow you to copy non-dvd content.
You might want to give this a shot, but I wouldn’t alter the playback order of any of the titles. Just select Full Disc and dvd5 as the target and click start.

Personally, I think your best shot here is to select [B]Customize[/B], the main title only (probably title 1), only 1 audio track, click next and then only tick
[B]Copy DVD-Video (VIDEO_TS folder)[/B]
and
[B]Remove menus, play the titles continually[/B]
and go for it.
Try this, first, by selecting your hdd as the target, but be certain to select dvd5. If this plays ok with VLC, there’s absolutely no reason you can’t get a decent SL bkup.

Hope this helps and let us know…:wink:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2074943]That is wrong there you can use DVD fab plat to clone a SL disc all you need is another SL disc to do that and you can clone DL media with DL media and if I remember correctly you can compress DL to SL media. So the premise you just stated is incorrect. Now to use DL media you will need a DL media burner that will do DL media burning but that burner will also do SL media as well. Without knowing what the enhanced dvd is doesn’t give much to go on.[/QUOTE]

In a little different phrasing, that is exactly what I said.

I used Windows Media Player but wouldn’t play it. But using Windows Media Center or VAIO WinDVD it plays fine.

I had Windows Media Player as my default which wouldn’t even play the disc. But now that i’ve changed my default player to Windows Media Center that would play the movie fine it is now completing the analyze phase in DVDFab which it wouldn’t do before. Hopefully this solves the problem. I’m waiting for it to finish then i’ll post the outcome.

Are you using vista?

SUCCESS!!! With pathfinder disabled AND changing my default player I was finally able to accomplish my backup copies of Rambo 2 & 3. Thanks to everyone for the help.

[QUOTE=J264514;2076253]SUCCESS!!! With pathfinder disabled AND changing my default player I was finally able to accomplish my backup copies of Rambo 2 & 3. Thanks to everyone for the help.[/QUOTE]

I kinda suspect it was pathplayer had something to do with it cause I think I read back in the forums people were told to disable pathplayer when burning. But I don’t recall which thread it was.

pathplayer has nothing to do with burning.
dvdfab will work even if you have NO media player.

J264514,

are you inserting the disc before or after opening dvdfab?

im asking because ive recently had a disc that would not open using windows explorer. had to open dvdfab first then insert the dvd.

The Rambo collection has alot of special features and elaborate menus. I originally tried with pathplayer disabled with no luck. I have no idea why it works now that I changed my media player being that it shouldn’t make a difference since DVDFab is opening it and not my media software. But it is working finally. And yes I always have DVDFab open before inserting the disc. I’d like to know why it works now , but being that it is working i’m happy.