Problem with Editing Recorded TV in NVE 3

vbimport

Cut an hour TV show down to the 5 minutes I wanted to save. Plays fine in the preview. Video and sound perfect. Then I burn to the hard disk. Playback shows 5 minutes of video immediately following my cut, but the audio is correct.

When I preview it in NVE, I can’t even watch the 5 later minutes - they’re supposedly cut out and discarded. Yet the burn pairs the “discarded” portion of video with the correct audio.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m locating the 5 minutes I want, and using the “Cut” feature to remove the portions before and after the 5 min. I want to keep. At least I thought I was. And the preview shows it correctly.

Only other program I have that will convert dvr-ms is Sonic’s MyDVD, and I don’t even want to open that monster!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If your are trying to keep a 5min segmant of the of the whole, try using the option to set the start and end point, if you are trying to keep various segments of differing times, it will be more difficult.I have managed to remove
adverts etc with the cut but I let NVE transcode and burn straight to DVD
this can take a long time it depends on the length of the film etc

Its easier in DVD shrink to use the Start and end Method

OK, I tried setting the start and end points in NVE. Once again, the preview is perfect. This time instead of transcoding to the hard disk, I exported it as an MPEG. Same result, though. Playback has the correct audio, but starts the video portion from the end point.

Driving me nuts! Why would the audio be correct, and when previewed after resetting the start and end points the video is correct too. But it’s not burning nor exporting what the preview shows.

Codec issue? Something is messed up; just can’t imagine what. Sent in a support request to Nero with the infotool log, but my experience has not been very good with Nero support. I really hate to try another medium, since I’ve spent the $$$ on Nero.

What version of the Windows Media center are you using?

HP Pavillion m270n PC, which originally came with plain old Media Center, then upgraded to Media Center 2004 with an upgrade CD from HP when it came out. There is an upgradse available for Media Center 2005 from HP but I decided not to install that - it disables a few too many XP Pro remote features for my liking. BIOS and CD Writer (HP300i) are updated with latest firmware.

I tried again from the start with this clip one more time, this time exporting it at the “E-Mail” setting and it created an MPEG that is playable in all media players on my PC. But of course this format is low quality and very small. So I tried again and exported it again at the “DVD” setting and this resulted in a good, playable MPEG. However I could not successfully burn it to a DVD; it hangs at the “Writing lead out” stage. Stayed like that for an hour and a half till I gave up. I decided to restart the PC and InCD had to stopped via “End Now”, so that may be part of the problem. I tried burning an existing video with CloneDVD and the burner worked fine, so I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. Also, Nero Burning ROM was able to burn an audio file OK.

I think it’s probably “user error”, as this is the first time I’ve tried to edit dvr-ms with NVE. But I’ve read all the documentation and it’s not very helpful for this.

I also have Sonic MyDVD, CloneDVD, and AnyDVD installed on the PC, but none were running. AnyDVD normally runs in the background, so I manually shut that down before I started.

Anyway, it seems I now have a usable MPEG-1 and a usable MPEG-2 saved, but can’t burn yet to DVD. This 4 minute, 11 second clip, however, is 502 MB!! I just moved the Start and End arrows, as someone here suggested. I think the “Cut” feature would shrink it down, but I can’t seem to get it done right with the “Cut” feature.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Any suggestions?

I still haven’t received any reply from Nero Support, other than the usual auto-reply.

Misled you before

Try Nero Recode 2,

Open remake a DVD,

Import Titles

Click on start/End

Select where you want to start and finish,

You can opt for where you want to store it

Burn should only burn the selection,

With regards to NVE I think you might have to do it this way

Say film 30 min long and you want to keep from 20 min t0 25 min

1…Set beginning of cut at 00min and end of cut at 20min then press cut
this should cut out 0min to 19 mins
2…Set beginning of cut at 26 min and end at the end this should cut out
26 to end leaving 20 to 25

Then export movie usually goes to Nerovision exported Movies

I have tried both methods tonight and both worked

Hope this is of Help

Nb. DvD Shrink 3.2 does the same as Recode also removes macrovision and other things Check it out also look at DVD decrypter
FREE download Google DVD Shrink DVD decrypter

Thanks laffinorse. I really do appreciate your time! Here’s the problems I’m running into:

Nero Recode>Import Titles doesn’t seem to see the dvr-ms files (Recorded TV). I can’t add the dvr-ms titles because when I open the Recorded TV folder Recode doesn’t offer the opportunity to select the dvr-ms files. I think I need to be able to get it saved as an MPEG first - which is where I’m having the problem with NVE.

With regards to NVE I think you might have to do it this way

Say film 30 min long and you want to keep from 20 min t0 25 min

1…Set beginning of cut at 00min and end of cut at 20min then press cut
this should cut out 0min to 19 mins
2…Set beginning of cut at 26 min and end at the end this should cut out
26 to end leaving 20 to 25

Then export movie usually goes to Nerovision exported Movies

Exactly what I’m doing. 60 minute show, I cut out from 00 min. to 33:37 min. Then I cut again from 38:37 min. to the end, leaving me what should be 5 min. Although when I try to export it it says 4:17 min. Weird. Before I export it, if I click on the “Play” arrow, it plays the portion I want perfectly. However when I export, I get the audio from the correct portion, but the video starts right after the portion I want to keep. Even though that part of the show has already been cut out, and seems to be gone because it can’t be played in the preview! Driving me nuts! How is it picking up the cut-out piece of the show? Actually I was able to export the correct portion once on that first day - but I had it set on “E-Mail” format, so it’s too small on the screen and the quality is low. Doing the same exact steps in “DVD” format gives me the right audio/wrong video result! BTW, I was trying to burn the E-Mail formatted MPEG to a DVD, which may be why Nero keeps locking up while trying to write the lead-out.

I have tried both methods tonight and both worked

I hate it when that happens! If you lived close by, I’d ask you to come over and kick my PC three or four times!!!

Hope this is of Help

Nb. DvD Shrink 3.2 does the same as Recode also removes macrovision and other things Check it out also look at DVD decrypter
FREE download Google DVD Shrink DVD decrypter

I have DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter, but the same problem as Recode - I would have to get from the dvr-ms to MPEG format first. I usually use AnyDVD and CloneDVD for copying DVDs, and that set-up works great. But I don’t think CloneDVD will burn from an MPEG - it wants to see VOB/ISO files.

Again, thanks for your help. I’ll keep plugging away. Ticks me off that Nero doesn’t respond at all. $80 for the software, but NO support at all. Even a reply saying they can’t help would be nicer than no reply at all.

I may even have to try <gulp> Sonic’s MyDVD to burn this piece!

Nero Recode>Import Titles doesn’t seem to see the dvr-ms files (Recorded TV). I can’t add the dvr-ms titles because when I open the Recorded TV folder Recode doesn’t offer the opportunity to select the dvr-ms files. I think I need to be able to get it saved as an MPEG first - which is where I’m having the problem with NVE.

AS i am in uk not sure what DVR-Ms files are, If I record from Televion to a hard drive,through Win to Go they come out as AVI files and have to burn to MPeg format then go through,the cutting process but then had sync problems, gave it up and bought a DVDrecorder If I burn to DVD-rw on my DVD recorder they are automatically saved as Mpeg. only program I coulg find to convert AVI to MPeg wasTMPGenc download with 30 day trial
Good Luck

J mack

Found this site might help

http://www.deskshare.com/resources/articles/dmc_DVRMS.aspx

Have you tried Sony dvd architect, or Sony Vegas? (used to be Sonic-Foundry)

I have used those 2 before when NVE was givin me hell…

Peace and Luv,

DJ Mind

J Mack

Another Link

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx

Been reading up on these seem to be very big files as I said before gave up recording from Television to hard drive and bought a DVDrecorder to record
from Television to DVD-rw

laffinorse, djmind:

Sorry for not replying sooner; I didn’t get the regular e-mail notification!

I ended up using Sonic MyDVD. Not a great program by any means, but it did manage to get this one done. audio/video alignment is off a bit though. Better than nothing, I guess.

Thanks for all your input!