Problem with dvdrw shm 165h6s

vbimport

Hi all… new to the site… anyway… I have been using this burner for a 2 years now… worked great until yesterday… Went to make a cd went through all the steps and let it burn while I slept… got up… I couldnt open the drive had to reboot to get the drive to open. now No matter what I put in it shows nothing on disc. wont read a blank disc to let me start burning… I need help… I would hope this would just not go bad all of a sudden…

Hello, welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

What’s the drive like with DVD media - the same? Does it read burned or commercial CDs?

If it’s just CDs affected, try booting from your OS CD - that will eliminate any software/OS reason for the behaviour.

If it boots successfully from your OS CD, then it’s probably a software problem. If booting from your OS CD fails, then unfortunately it’s probable that the CD part has died.

[QUOTE=sniper_1;2044034]Hi all… new to the site… anyway… I have been using this burner for a 2 years now… worked great until yesterday… Went to make a cd went through all the steps and let it burn while I slept… got up… I couldnt open the drive had to reboot to get the drive to open. now No matter what I put in it shows nothing on disc. wont read a blank disc to let me start burning… I need help… I would hope this would just not go bad all of a sudden…[/QUOTE]

And why should a firmware help in this case??
It cannot.