Problem with DVD-RW GCA-4080N

vbimport

I’ve been reading around… and nothing :slight_smile: first i will put the info on the hardware

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6
VENDOR : HL-DT-ST
MODEL : DVD-RW GCA-4080N
REVISION : 0C35
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : K5B35SB0015
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 1
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : NO
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : NO
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 47
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 24

It’s a Compaq Presario notebook r4146ea, I used nero 6009 and 7 and the dvd just writes like 400-500 megs of unreadable data to a dvd and then nothing… i used recordnow and the dvd seems to be written OK but the dvd doesn’t read the burned data, also when i put a blank dvd inside it turns to CD DRIVE , i tryed the flashing utility from a site posted here on the forum seems that nothing’s changed, i spoke like 4 hours with an online technician from compaq and no change… i formated windows started all over with drivers and everything, i defragmented the hdd, i cleaned registries… i tryed with different dvd’s +R-R…, one more thing… the lg drive seems to write to cd’s … in this moment i think there is nothing more to do for it … so please if someone have ANY new ideea please HELP me :slight_smile: if I forgot something to put in here please ask me i’ll be around the computer most of the time… and… sorry for my english :slight_smile: thanks in advance!

If you put a blank DVD inside it, it turns to CD DRIVE. That’s normal (= buggy) Windows Explorer behavior.
If it’s writing to CDs, it could be that the DVD part died. This would be the exact counterpart of what I’ve seen with many Samsung burners.
Is it able to read DVDs? Have you tried to clean the lens?

I believe your drive needs servicing, but I’m not fully sure.

ok… i checked at a friend and the dvd written with recordnow it’s fully functional, everything ok! but my lg cannot read it… it says blank cd when i insert it… also… my lg can read other dvd’s written before… what can i do? thanks.

What kind of DVD media are you using? As always, I’m recommending Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim discs to anybody. :wink:

The first rule to get useful burns/media is to use good and reliable media.

Like kg_evilboy already suggested. :wink:

i used verbatim, sun disc also traxdata… but still my drive cannot read what i burn… do you think it has something to do with firmware? i don’t know many things about flashing the drive… never heard of Taiyo Yuden :slight_smile: