Problem with DVD Burning - Multiple Burns

Hi everyone, a certifiable newb’s first posting here so bear with me here.

I’ve been having some major difficulty with my DVD burning as of late.
I’m using Windows XP Home Edition, 1.8 GHZ AMD Sempron, 1 GB of RAM and I normally don’t use my computer for anything but surfing the web or burning DVD/CD’s.

I have an 80GB (WDC) harddrive, as well as a Sony CD-RW CRX230ED.

My DVD burner is a Sony DVD RW DRU-820A, and I have the latest firmware update for it (1.0c)

The issue arrives when I attempt multiple burns. I am using DVDFab Platinum (3 and 4) to burn movies. For the most part I have little to no issues reading a DVD and copying it to my harddrive. I can normally burn one copy perfectly but when I attempt to “burn again”, the program as well as my computer has difficulty reading blank discs. The DVD drive seems to respond as if there is no disc inserted at all (no flashing light, easy to eject) as well as the program has difficulty reading the blank discs (i.e., asks me to insert blank media again, not reading the one I have already in the drive).

I have been using a 16x Kodak DVD-R’s, in fact I used a whole 100 disc spindle last year with the same program without an issue. Now a few discs into my second spindle of 16x Kodak DVD-R’s it has extreme difficulty recognizing the blank DVD-R’s, although I have had a few successful tries (maybe 1 out of 4) on the first attempt at burning. I also have a spindle of 16x Memorex DVD-R’s that seem to create less difficutly (i.e., I can normally burn one without an issue).

When i choose to burn the same project a 2nd time it asks to insert blank media, and when I insert a blank disc it either repeats the message (not recognizing the blank disc) or it attempts to burn and then fails almost immediately, also ruining the disc (I have made far too many coasters to count, adding my frustration).

This issue seems to be compounding, getting worse at each attempt to burn or even with each passing day. I have made several restarts but this does not resolve the issue. I did have a thought that if it’s multiple burns that the issue appears in, could it have something to do with my computer’s memory? What is the best setup to allow my computer to do multiple burns? The only program I have running when I burn is my AVG Antivirus, nothing else. There are no issues with my hardware in Device Manager either.

Please any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you :bow:

Update*** I have now tried using Nero to burn the video files that I have stored on my harddrive to DVD. My Memorex DVD’s have worked flawlessly, while the kodak DVD’s continue to cause problems (not recognizing the blank disc, or starts to burn and fails at 1%). Could this just be a bad batch of DVDs or are they just having problems with my computer? How can one explain that I have burned a few from this kodak bunch, but now cannot burn any from the same spindle?

To sum it up:
Memorex is bad media, try with Verbatim or TY.

I have been using a 16x Kodak DVD-R’s, in fact I used a whole 100 disc spindle last year with the same program without an issue. [B]Now a few discs into my second spindle of 16x Kodak DVD-R’s[/B] it has extreme difficulty recognizing the blank DVD-R’s, although I have had a few successful tries (maybe 1 out of 4) on the first attempt at burning.

The second spindle of Kodak dvd-r are different from spindle one. Check mediacode with Nero cd/dvd speed. Kodak are not the best media.

The Memorex you use are of better quality than Kodak.

As chef suggest use Verbatim or TY.