Problem with dual layer burning and BenQ ext 162I

I called the support at BenQ in Irvine CA before I went out and bought the media for D/L as I had a long back-up to do.

The suggested + Verbatim or Sony.
My regular burns on the 4.75 have been R+ and I used their recommended and tested media of Maxell, Sony, TDK and Imation with success.

So I tried to do a dual layer, checking while I was on the phone with the BenQ support tech to insure that I have the proper updated firmware and I did.
I burn always in their “Book Management” exe. so that the DVD backups are playable in all of the family’s stand alone dvd players and have been pleased.

BenQ tech support suggested using the Nero Express 6 (6.3.1.23B) for the dual layer burning as that is the CD sent out with the latest of their burners.
It seemed at the start that everything was proceeding OK and then when I checked back after 45 min, progress was stuck at 3% and again in 45 minutes there was no change from the 3%.

I talked to BenQ and they suggested to get the Sony Dual Layer instead of the Verbatim and give it a try.
I did that and got the same exact problem.

I just got off the phone with BenQ and asked if there could be an issue with Nero as I knew there was a 6.6 brought out after their 6.3 version that came with my unit and they said they did not know.
The main point they made was not to buy the Nero version 7 as their burners will not support that software.

I asked for suggested software if that is the problem and they had none. They suggested that I post here as they have had other queries about this problem from other users as well, but never heard back from them.

I googled the 6.6 version and it makes reference to some fixes in the D/L -R which BenQ made clear to me that their burners don’t support R- and so I am wondering if any other users have encountered this problem.
BenQ originally had good support, however now it seems to be very poor.
One tech said to try Roxio, I asked if he knew it worked for certain and he said he was not sure.

I am wondering if the Nero 6.6 did fix bugs in the D/L burning???

Also wondered if 1 click dvd could be an alternate as it does dual layer; however no one at BenQ seems to know what software is compatible with their burner and continue to tell me to use R+.

I don’t understand how their techs could not know what software is compatible with their burners for D/L since I am having an issue with this version of Nero and the 2 media types mentioned earlier.
My co-worker tried the identical process I did and came up with the same problems.
Notebook, toshiba, pentium m. 750; centrino 1.86 ghz, intel graphics media accelerator 900,1 gig ddr 2, 100 gb, SATA 5400 rpm, xp, sp2.

I hope that someone has some ideas. I just started using this new computer after the office tech set it up.

Thx again.

BTW, Nero is the only program on the notebook.

6.6.Nero is now a few years old right? so I don’t know if that will do the fix and have been told by BenQ not to buy Nero 7 as it won’t work???

Cleary,

Can you tell us what is the firmware in your drive? The latest firmware for your drive is 47P9. Also are you connecting the drive via USB or Firewire?

Sony DVD+R DL is manufactured by Mitsubishi and the MID should be MKM001 (you can check this using Nero CD-DVD Speed “Disc Info”). MKM001 supposed to be excellent and supported by your drive.

Regarding DVD+R DL burning, I would recommend using ImgBurn.

thx for the reply, my firmware is 47n9 which was confirmed by BenQ’s tech support as correct.
I have an External 162I BenQ burner
I should also say that I found out that one issue in this ball of problems is that my notebook which has 2.0 usb ports ; I had hooked up a 2.0 “targus” hub to and took the notebook back to the store along with the targus and found that it actually reversed my 2.0 usb to 1.1.

My BenQ burner, does not have a firewire hookup.
Only usb 2.
I burn my regular 4,75 with the usb 2.0 and according to the store where i bought the notebook and returned the targus to i should be able to do dual layer as well.
I confirmed this with Nero, but I am not experienced at this and so I will have to give it a go.
I have never had a coaster with my BenQ, using their suggested media R+ and for dual layer they recommend only Sony or Verbatim.

I will have to give it a try when I have the time.

The store was burning a dual layer on the identical model with Nero 6.0 and the proper targus accessory.
I don’t really need the accessory yet, just bought it.
In any event the store phoned me back so that I can come in and look at the backup dvd in D/L.

According to them it is fine.
Comments.

thx for the reply, my firmware is 47n9 which was confirmed by BenQ’s tech support as correct.
I have an External 162I BenQ burner
I should also say that I found out that one issue in this ball of problems is that my notebook which has 2.0 usb ports. I hooked up a 2.0 “targus” hub with 4 extra ports in the event that I needed them in the future and was using one of the hubs on trial. I was asked to bring my notebook and the targus attachment back to the store and after they checked it they found the targus hub reversed the 2.0 to a 1.1 and are sending them all back since they said that they transferred in high speed.

My BenQ burner, does not have a firewire hookup.
Only usb 2.
I burn my regular 4,75 with the usb 2.0 and according to the store where i bought the notebook and returned the targus to i should be able to do dual layer as well. (and BenQ advised this to be correct also)
I confirmed this with Nero, but I am not experienced at this and so I will have to give it a go.
I have never had a coaster with my BenQ, using their suggested media R+ and for dual layer they recommend only Sony or Verbatim.

The store gave me a proper usb hub 2.0 and tried it out themselves on an identical model of notebook and same backup and it turned out fine with Nero.

I don’t really need the accessory yet, just bought it.
In any event the store phoned me back so that I can come in and look at the backup dvd in D/L format which they said was fine.

Comments, thankyou.
(again i say that i don’t need the hub to do a d/l backup; just in case there is a misunderstanding) regards

Why is Nero not a recommended program for d/l?? or am I misunderstanding this.