Problem with Cpu after using new Thermal Paste?

vbimport

Hey guys long time no see.

I’m in a bit of a jam right now with one of my pcs.

I’ve had this PC for a long time (not the one I’m on now but the one I’m having problems with).

And I decided to use some new thermal paste on it because I’ve had it for about… 4 or more years. I cleaned the CPU with some rubbing alcohol and then dried it, and then applied a small amount of Artic Silver.

I then reconnected the fan, and the clamps. Then I plugged it in to my outlet and tried to turn it on.

The Fan spun once, and then the PC turned off. I’ve tried many other things. Moving around the cpu (triangle to triangle right?) clamping it down ext, ext.

When I do the Triangle to Triangle. The Light turns green, but the fans don’t spin and nothing turns on!!!

Then I tried putting an older CPU fan in it… still a no go. I’ve also tried another Power Supply.

The PC is a D865PERL with a Pentium 4 on it.

Can any one help. This is REALLY REALLY P:a:aSING ME OFF!!!

This is how the CPU goes in.
If you’ve been trying anything else, better check for bent pins.
Thin even coat of of AS, make sure the HS is snapped in correctly.
CPU fan plugged in.

If that doesn’t work, try clearing CMOS.
And of course, observe static electricity precautions.

From your mobo manual:

If you tried to power on the computer with the CPU in the wrong orientation then you may have fried one, or more, components but with an Athlon CPU I don’t think this is possible. Did you power it on with the CPU installed incorrectly?

[QUOTE=jflan;2164449]This is how the CPU goes in.
If you’ve been trying anything else, better check for bent pins.
Thin even coat of of AS, make sure the HS is snapped in correctly.
CPU fan plugged in.

If that doesn’t work, try clearing CMOS.
And of course, observe static electricity precautions.

From your mobo manual:[/QUOTE]

It’s still a no go… I even tried one of my slower Pentium 4 on it. The Power led just stays green, and nothing turns on.

Try clearing CMOS.
You can remove the CMOS battery for a few min or use the jumpers (see below). Avoid using a screwdriver and use a plastic picnic knife or similar (non-conductive) if a tool is necessary, to aid in removing the battery. I use a chopstick or glazer’s stick (the bomb) for misc poking/prying around on mobos.
Errant screwdriver jabs are a leading cause of mobo deaths.

Jumpers…

1. Ignore the third position (unjumpered)
  2. Unplug power from wall outlet
  3. Observe ESD protocol (anti-static)
  4. Move jumper to RESET (configure) position for a minute or two (actually only takes a few seconds)
  5. Replace jumper to RUN position [B]as you originally found it[/B]
  6. Plug in power and startup

This will return all your BIOS settings to safe, [B]default[/B] settings.
For [B]optimal[/B] settings you will have to go through all of your BIOS settings and check/reset to optimal using your mobo manual for guidance.

From your manual: