Problem With Component Input Jacks

vbimport

Just pulled out my trusty Philips DVDR985 out of storage. The machine works fine except when trying to record using the Component (EXT3) input. When the record button is pushed I get a No Signal message. My cable box component output goes to a component switch box. Then from there I have 2 component outputs. One goes to the TV and the other to the 985. I tried swapping them. The TV works fine but the 985 still says No Signal. Could friggin’ Comcast have the component output copyright protected ? Am I forced to use an S-Video ?

This is what you wanted to post:
! important ! important Phillips
! important ! important TV
The problem is when you select record . Some copy protection won’t allow this.
The Dimax Grex will take out the copy protection Or should.
If your unit is in the list at Dimax wire it as shown.
Other video stabilizers might work.

viggie, not sure if my first reply went through. You’ll need to set your cable box to output at 480i if you want to record via component input. I own a HDRW 720 and also Sony’s 715 which have component inputs and this is the only resolution they take other wise I also get the “no signal” warning or for the Sony just a blank screen with audio. Once you’re done recording, set your cable box back to your original resolution (HD) for viewing on TV. I do this constantly with these recorders and cable boxes.

@CrazyCanuck , I don’t know if viggie is still checking for an answer but even if I don’t have cable it’s good to know this information. Never can tell when it might be useful for my Dish sat receiver.

Hi and thanks. No I didn’t get your reply. I under stand what you are saying. Seems a shame though to have to change the STB resolution every time I want to record something. How much would I gain using the component inputs at 480i vs S-video ? Now I just have to remember how to change the STB resolution on the crapy Comcast (SA) 3250HD box. viggie

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;2517991]viggie, not sure if my first reply went through. You’ll need to set your cable box to output at 480i if you want to record via component input. I own a HDRW 720 and also Sony’s 715 which have component inputs and this is the only resolution they take other wise I also get the “no signal” warning or for the Sony just a blank screen with audio. Once you’re done recording, set your cable box back to your original resolution (HD) for viewing on TV. I do this constantly with these recorders and cable boxes.[/QUOTE]

Quality of component over s-video, depends on your eyes. You’ll have to do some testing and see if you can actually tell if there’s a gain or not. To me , I find that there is a gain, less pixelation, sharper edges, better colours but that’s what I see. Some might not see any gain, others will to a certain extent, other factors to consider are the source and also cables. With a bit of testing you should get your answer.

HI thanks for the info. I tried changing the resolution to 480i, messed up at first and put it at 720p. My TV didn’t like that. Ended up with a bunch of horizontal line. However I managed to get it back to 1080i. Seems my ol’ Panasonic 47" don’t ;like 720p ? Anyway switched it to 480i and still got the no signal message. I’m going to try the S-video today and see how it looks. Lotta good the component IN’s are if they can’t see the signal ! viggie

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;2517991]viggie, not sure if my first reply went through. You’ll need to set your cable box to output at 480i if you want to record via component input. I own a HDRW 720 and also Sony’s 715 which have component inputs and this is the only resolution they take other wise I also get the “no signal” warning or for the Sony just a blank screen with audio. Once you’re done recording, set your cable box back to your original resolution (HD) for viewing on TV. I do this constantly with these recorders and cable boxes.[/QUOTE]

I’m going to try the S-video because of no luck with the component inputs. I’d like to think my eyes are pretty good. When the large 30" and up LCDs first hit the market I could not stand them. True they had nice contraast but I could see the pixelization as the scenes would change. I found it very annoying and distractive. viggie

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;2518295]Quality of component over s-video, depends on your eyes. You’ll have to do some testing and see if you can actually tell if there’s a gain or not. To me , I find that there is a gain, less pixelation, sharper edges, better colours but that’s what I see. Some might not see any gain, others will to a certain extent, other factors to consider are the source and also cables. With a bit of testing you should get your answer.[/QUOTE]