Problem with CloneDVD 2.4.2.7

Despite never having had problems with CloneDVD2 and my two Plex 708s, I anxiously upgraded to 2.4.2.7 – newer is better, no? :0)

In my case, NO! For test purposes, I backed up two discs with the “new” version, previously cloned perfectly with 2.0.9.4 – one movie that utilised transcoding (165 minutes) and one that didn’t need any. When playing them back, both movies exhibited horrendous “stuttering” and artifacts! I retried once more, using the original disc of Captain and Commander – a movie I’d flawlessly backed up using InstantDVD. Same phenomena – intermittent stuttering and smattering of artifacts.

So I uninstalled CDVD 2.4.2.7 and reinstalled 2.0.9.4 – all was well again.

Has anyone else experienced this yet? I’ve never had this problem before with ANY software.

Do you have nVidia IDE Drivers installed (or other IDE Drivers)?

No IDE drivers, running ATI Radeon graphic card on Win 2000Pro (SP4), all SCSI system, 3.4 G P-IV – internal and external Plex 708s (external via USB2). No funky drivers. The problems I described are visible on my PC with Ulead DVD Player and PowerDVD – as well as viewing the burned discs on my Panny PDP.

movies exhibited horrendous “stuttering” and artifacts!

Same here with me and the sound is just horrible and sometimes just muted, except I was trying it out with Matchstick men

I reinstalled 2.0.9.4 and the movie plays fine.

This is the Pent motherboard using the 712A

Looks like a buggy release. Back to the drawing board… :sad:

It would be good to know, if the reading, processing or the writing failed.
Please use Clonedvd 2.4.2.7 to transcode the original discs to files.
Check the files with a DVD player software, do they play fine?
If not, well… it can’t be writing.
If they do play ok, write them with CloneDVD into an ISO. Use Virtual CloneDrive to mount this image.
Still all ok? Playing fine?
If yes, write the iso to a media.

Did that.

No. Stuttering and artifacts VERY present with both of my software players, as described in my original post. Also there when burned to disc with 2.4.2.7.

Also, I tried ripping DVD to HD using DVD Decrypter (no transcoding, 4.3-gig movie) and burning with 2.4.2.7. Same results.

Haven’t tried that, but it doesn’t sound like a logical “workaround” – especially when the same ripped material works perfectly when burned w/previous version.

I’ll let someone else go through the hassle, I’m sticking with 2.0.9.4. Thanks anyway.

> Did that.

No. Stuttering and artifacts VERY present with both of my software players, as described in my original post. Also there when burned to disc with 2.4.2.7.
<

Okay, the problem seems to be early in the process.

> Also, I tried ripping DVD to HD using DVD Decrypter (no transcoding, 4.3-gig movie) and burning with 2.4.2.7. Same results. <

Interesting!

> Haven’t tried that, but it doesn’t sound like a logical “workaround” – especially when the same ripped material works perfectly when burned w/previous version. <

Sure.

> I’ll let someone else go through the hassle, I’m sticking with 2.0.9.4. Thanks anyway. <

No need to try it, of course! If CloneDVD fails in the first step, it is useless to try anything else.

Thanks for the report!

I have burned VIDEO_TS folder to DVD with a PX-712A with no problems at all. Plays back fine in my XBOX.

I have a similar setup: Intel 865G chipset with P4 3.2GHz

I’ll try ripping and let you know.

Taroth

Just ripped a DVD5 using AnyDVD 3.9.2.1 and CloneDVD2 2.4.2.7 from the PX-712A to Hard Drive and the files play perfectly with PowerDVD.

Must be something specific to your systems. Perhaps listing full specs would help.

Taroth

if the reading, processing or the writing failed.
Please use Clonedvd 2.4.2.7 to transcode the original discs to files.
Check the files with a DVD player software, do they play fine?

I reinstalled CloneDVD 2.4.2.7, and processed as indicated above, and I am getting the same results, artifacts, pausing and skipping of movie and sound.

using AnyDVD 3.9.1.1
using Toshiba SD-M1712 to read movie

I have a question, how come I dont see the horrible artifacts when I am fastforwarding?

Yep, here too.
Stuttering, artefacts…and this is, while I´m playing it from HDD.
Tested with “Die Maske des Zorro” (RC2 German) and “Half a chance” (R2 German).
Using AnyDVD 3.9.2.1 and CloneDVD 2.4.2.7,
Software: Windows XP Prof. SP2
Hardware: Nvidia-Chipset, reading with Tosh 1712 RPC-Free Firmware.

Jarod

I see a common factor with both Hamp & Jarod666: Tosh 1712

@rajmahid: Are you also using a Tosh 1712 to rip the files?

Taroth

Nope. If you’ll look at my earlier post, I’m using a pair of Plex 708a – an internal and exernal.

I guess that it might have been something to do with the Tosh 1712(with the unlimited ripp hack), but I ripped with the 712A and got the same bad results

It’s a burning problem, AFAIK. I ripped the same discs with DVD Encryptor then Intervideo’s Copy2, burned with 2.4.2.7 – same horrible results. Back to 2.0.9.4 and all was fine…again

Burning has nothing to do with it.
Just play the transcoded DVD from hard disc, then you´ll see.

Jarod

edit:
what I mean is, maybe the burn-engine has a bug too.
But the errors are there right after transcoding a DVD to the hard disc.

I don’t think so, because as I said earlier, I ripped the same discs with DVD Decrypter and InterVideo DVDCopy 2 – no transcoding needed – and the 2.4.2.7 burn was the ONLY one that exhibited the problems. Burns with CopytoDVD, Intervideo DVDCopy2 AND 2.0.9.4 – same rips – had no problems. It’s looking as if the burn engine has the bug – I haven’t even attempted to rip & transcode with 2.4.2.7.

Very Strange! I have ripped and burned with the new CloneDVD2 without problem so far. The ripped files play okay with PowerDVD from HDD and when burned to DVD-R they play fine on my XBOX. I would like to help you people more but I’m confused. Here’s what I use:

Shuttle SB61G2 with Intel 865G Chipset and P4 3.2GHz
Corsair 512MB TwinX LLPT PC3200 DDR RAM
Plextor PX-712A
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA HDD
Windows XP Pro SP1 (Standard XP IDE Drivers)

The Raptor is on SATA 0 and the PX-712A is on Seconary IDE as Master (Ultra DMA Mode 2)

If you post your system specs we might find the root of the problem :slight_smile:

Taroth

using a NEC 2510 A burner. Just burned Peter Pan from harddisk, ripped before with 2094 and 2510. Plays fine in my burner on PC and in standalone DVD-player, Kiss DP330 without any problems.
I cannot se any difference from version 2094 to version 2.4.2.7 at all