Problem with burning CD-R disks

This is going to sound really stupid, but here goes: My brother has a Dell computer with a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F cd burner and he doesn’t know if it can burn video onto a CD-R disk. And he can’t find any instruction manual.

I know that it can burn AUDIO, because I’ve done that before. But I want to burn some videos (that also have audio) from my RealPlayer program onto a CD-R disk and I can’t do it. When I set the lineup to burn and press burn, it says “Beginning burn” and then it doesn’t do anything. I’ve even left it alone for several hours and nothing has happened. It also freezes up my entire computer and it takes a long time to cancel out the program and get the computer working again. The CD-R that I have says that it is good for burning video and saving it (I don’t know if it means video files only or actual video). It is Fujifilm all-purpose CD-R disks with 700 mb.

Can someone tell me if this particular CD burner can burn actual video or is it for audio only? And are the disks what I need or do I need some special video disks? If all of this is right, then what is the problem? (I tried technical help with the company and got nowhere.)

Any cd burner can burn video files in an appropriate format (e.g. vcd or svcd).

I don’t mean to sound rude, but your reply really doesn’t answer my questions. Does your reply mean that I need a special Video CD (which I can’t find anywhere) or can I use the CD-R disks for video? (I have a CD burning program with Realplayer - I think it’s Roxio, so it shouldn’t be the software that is the problem.)

Please be more specific as to what I should do. I bought a pack of new blank CD-R disks, but haven’t opened them up yet because I may have to get a refund for them. I don’t know if they will work or not. I already tried some other CD-R disks and CD-RW that I already had, but they didn’t work. I don’t need to spend a lot of money on this, either. If my burner will work, I’ll use it, if it won’t I’ll need to get my money back for the CD-R disks that I bought. Please help.

You don’t need a special type of CD to burn video. Where do you want to watch these videos, on your computer or a stand alone player.
What is the file extension of the video clips you have now on your hard drive? Avi, RM, FLV , MPG, etc. You can convert a file to VCD or SVCD which can be burnt on a CD and watched on a player that supports the format. If it’s a stand alone player, check the specs and manual. Your computer will play them with a software movie player, like VLC.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2227219]You don’t need a special type of CD to burn video. Where do you want to watch these videos, on your computer or a stand alone player.
What is the file extension of the video clips you have now on your hard drive? Avi, RM, FLV , MPG, etc. You can convert a file to VCD or SVCD which can be burnt on a CD and watched on a player that supports the format. If it’s a stand alone player, check the specs and manual. Your computer will play them with a software movie player, like VLC.[/QUOTE]

In answer to your questions: Since I can’t afford to upgrade to any DVD burning software right now, I am just looking to save the video to a CD and watch it only on the computer. The video clips are FLV and are downloaded to my RealPlayer program from YouTube. I wasn’t aware that I had to convert anything from my RealPlayer program just to get them saved onto a CD. That seems unnecessarily complicated. As you can tell, I only have novice-level computer skills (despite my many years of working on computers), so I’m at a loss.

The only “Convert” option that I see on my RealPlayer says “Convert audio files” and it can only be done with a paid upgrade (which I can’t afford right now). Is burning videos to a CD something that I can only do with a paid upgrade? My RealPlayer states that it can be done as is, but it just won’t work. I’ve even tried lowering the write speed, but it still doesn’t work. Any other ideas?

There are plenty free 3rd party softwares out there. Burnaware Free, CDXPBurner for example.