Problem with blue ray to dvd

vbimport

Hello I am having a problem with copying a blue ray disc to a dvd,I have been using dvd fab 8Q n it has been great until I wanted to go from blue ray to dvd.It won’t even open to read the disc,n it turns the disc off.What have I done wrong,do i need more than dvd fab 8q.:doh:Help please.Thanks in advance.

Exactly which DVDfab package did you buy?

I am using 8.1.8.5 package of dvd fab

If you are trying to make a dvd-video from a blu ray source, I wouldn’t advise using DVDFab for this process. The only thing I would use DVDFab for would be to decrypt and rip the movie to the hard drive. Then work with it using a free tool called BD Rebuilder. Here is the guide for doing just that: http://club.myce.com/f142/bd-rebuilder-guide-conversion-blu-ray-other-formats-326975/#.T-qBRrXTD-0

If you’ve never used BD Rebuilder, I’d advise reading the basic setup guide as well: http://club.myce.com/f142/bd-rebuilder-guide-313227/#.T-qBgbXTD-0

I’ve tested the DVDFab section for conversion of blu ray to dvd-video and it produced very poor quality results.

If you are simply compressing the blu ray down in size to fit onto a blank dvd without converting it, that is another type of process entirely, and one that BD Rebuilder excels at too.

DVD-Video from BluRay?!

First it has to be clear,
if only Size has to be changed from BD25/50 to DVD5/9.
Then it is an AVCHD or BD9.
Go over to Doom9 there are several tools to convert, like RipBot264
You stay at H264 and m2ts format.

The other way is to really convert to DVD-Video using MPEG2 and VOB Container.
A great tool is AVStoDVD, also to find at Doom9.

Use DVDfab or AnyDVD HD only for decrypting.

BDRebuilder is for the first case, you stay at MPEG4 AVC.

Yeah, for such a [B]conversion[/B] DVDFab sucks…

[QUOTE=Wishbringer;2640254]DVD-Video from BluRay?!

BDRebuilder is for the first case, you stay at MPEG4 AVC.[/QUOTE]

BD Rebuilder has added the ability to convert to mpeg2 dvd-video using the HCenc encoder. Look at the first link I provided the original poster.

It is also a much more convenient tool for simple compression to smaller sizes than Ripbot264 and can retain menus if needed for this type of process.

Good to know about BD-RB and DVD-Video Output.
I was in from beginning, but since some month I lost interest.

At a fast look at 0.40.10, I couldn’t find that options to select DVD MPEG2 output, but you are true, HC enc is in tools folder.

To get the dvd-video output selection, select Mode, then you must put a check mark next to Alternate Movie Only Output.

Then click on that line that says Alternate Movie Only Output and you will see a pop up window. In that window, remove the check mark next to Output BD or AVCHD Compliant Structure. At that point you can put a check mark next to either the DVD5 or DVD9 output.

It will produce NTSC compliant dvd-video by default, but this can be changed to PAL specifications in the main window under Settings.

I explained all this in the guide I wrote.

If you are interested in software that you can purchase I use Blu-Ray Converter Ultimate written by VSO software. It will copy a Blu-Ray disc and compress it down where it will fit on a 4.7 DVD blank. There is also another program that I use called AVS Video Converter. It is really the better of the two because it handles more than just Blu-Ray discs and produces virtually any output. Both packages perform the conversion quickly on an I-950 machine with 6 GB of ram.

If you want to go with shareware then BD-Rebuilder is hard to beat.

@Kerry56: Thx for infos

[QUOTE=twix;2640239]Hello I am having a prolbem with copying a blue ray disc to a dvd,I have been using dvd fab 8Q n it has been great until I wanted to go from blue ray to dvd.It won’t even open to read the disc,n it turns the disc off.What have I done wrong,do i need more than dvd fab 8q.:doh:Help please.Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

My question is can’t you go blu to blu and why not? Cause they are available now and from the read of it sounds like you have blu drive burner or not don’t know since you didn’t mention the make and model of the drive. Might help more to know you drive first???

I may be wrong here but I doubt twix has a problem making a backup of the BR disc in question using a different program, but rather the issue is that DVDFab is shutting down during the opening/analyzing of the disc, which I have stated in his other post on this that it can be related to copy protection not supported by DVDFab at this time.

I also pointed out that the advice in this thread is best so maybe twix has taken the advice of using a different program and could explain the no reply from him, but like I said I could be wrong.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=twix;2640245]I am using 8.1.8.5 package of dvd fab[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with DVDFab, that’s all I use to Back-up Blu-ray and DVD. You do have to use the paid version for both, and follow the instructions. First you decrypt Blu-ray to HDD, then you convert from HDD the Blu-ray to DVD. Kerry doesn’t like DVDFab, but I have been using it for more the 5 years and it works great. If you convert the Blu-ray to DL DVD-9 the resolution will be better than DVD-5. There is nothing wrong with DVDFab. Let’s see if we hear back from the OP. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2640581]There is nothing wrong with DVDFab, that’s all I use to Back-up Blu-ray and DVD. You do have to use the paid version for both, and follow the instructions. First you decrypt Blu-ray to HDD, then you convert from HDD the Blu-ray to DVD. Kerry doesn’t like DVDFab, but I have been using it for more the 5 years and it works great. If you convert the Blu-ray to DL DVD-9 the resolution will be better than DVD-5. There is nothing wrong with DVDFab. Let’s see if we hear back from the OP. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Why convert to DVD when Blu blank media is there to buy and use?? I always wonder why one would compress the movie when compressing it always reduces the picture quality. Just burn Blu to Blu and dvd to dvd it’s not that hard to do. And if DVDfab burns blu ray then just burn blu to blu ray. Conversion tends to reduce picture quality from the original format and also the menu function probably isn’t the same as of a result of conversion to dvd format or is change in some form or manner. Whether Kerry likes or dislikes DVDFab that is for Kerry to decide no one is forced to use one particular software over another. I would say why not just burn Blu to Blu that would be a simple task and that would insure a 1:1 copy of the original Blu. And you can now buy Blu standalone players so it’s not like they no Blu standalone players around.

Some people need a dvd video copy. My sister doesn’t have a blu ray player of any kind, so when I take a movie to her house I need dvd-video format, even if my original was blu ray.

And BD Rebuilder does an excellent job of conversion to dvd-video from blu ray sources. Given a high bitrate source, HCenc can produce an outstanding copy, one which will hold up well against a commercially made dvd video of the same movie. DVDFab on the other hand, produces particularly poor video in this type of conversion. Even a cursory examination of its output shows artifacts, blockiness and blurred action.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2640680]Why convert to DVD when Blu blank media is there to buy and use?? I always wonder why one would compress the movie when compressing it always reduces the picture quality. Just burn Blu to Blu and dvd to dvd it’s not that hard to do.

In a lot of cases, the people are simply trying to get a copy of the movie. If you look at the cost of a DL Blu-Ray blank then you might as well purchase another copy, assuming that you purchased the one that you are trying to copy in the first place. If you purchase a SL Blu-Ray blank it is cheaper, but then you may still have to compress the video to get it to fit depending on the movie that you are trying to copy. When I compress a Blu-Ray disc it is to archive the movie and watch it on my laptop from the hard drive or from some other form of removable media (external HD, SD card, Thumb Drive, etc) when I am traveling. I can’t play Blu-Rays on my laptop.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2640680]Why convert to DVD when Blu blank media is there to buy and use?? I always wonder why one would compress the movie when compressing it always reduces the picture quality. Just burn Blu to Blu and dvd to dvd it’s not that hard to do. [/QUOTE]

Might want to do a better quoting in future posting…

[QUOTE=Vbritt;2640692]In a lot of cases, the people are simply trying to get a copy of the movie. If you look at the cost of a DL Blu-Ray blank then you might as well purchase another copy, assuming that you purchased the one that you are trying to copy in the first place. If you purchase a SL Blu-Ray blank it is cheaper, but then you may still have to compress the video to get it to fit depending on the movie that you are trying to copy. When I compress a Blu-Ray disc it is to archive the movie and watch it on my laptop from the hard drive or from some other form of removable media (external HD, SD card, Thumb Drive, etc) when I am traveling. I can’t play Blu-Rays on my laptop.[/QUOTE]

No prices have come down it’s a matter of priority and getting the best quality of backup to play like the original. You can buy BD+R DL as well as DVD+R SL media. But if you want the menu feature controls your going to either have to compress the media in it’s entire format which could or cause loss in picture playback quality or go 1:1 backup of which the later I go with. I do buy BD+R DL and yes they are a little pricey but then again I only backup those I need to backup and forgo those I don’t need to. Why compress on HDD just use Anydvd HD aka Rip to movie option and you don’t have to compress it to watch on your laptop…

Everybody’s scenario is different, In my opinion blu-ray media will only become another option of storage.

Video compression algorithms have come along way with most T.V.'s and Blu-ray Players now supporting playback of these formats, not to mention the shift of video scalers being integrated into these components including receivers.

People want small and portable, It’s nothing now to take a 40g blu-ray movie and strip it down and rebuild it so all you have is the movie and audio and it to be less than 8g in size. Most people would never notice the difference on play-back unless you know what to look for.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2640850]Everybody’s scenario is different, In my opinion blu-ray media will only become another option of storage.

People want small and portable, It’s nothing now to take a 40g blu-ray movie and strip it down and rebuild it so all you have is the movie and audio and it to be less than 8g in size. Most people would never notice the difference on play-back unless you know what to look for.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I enjoy watching my Blu-ray Back-up more than the original, because I make them Movie Only and they start right away with no Junk Messages. If I make DVD Back-up it’s for traveling and playing on portable or Laptop. I have noticed some of the Commercial Blu-rays have cut down on the Junk, but not enough still too many annoying messages. Like I said I only use DVDFab, I go way back with them I’m a Lifetime Paid Member. I do Movie Only and only use Verbatim DVD SL or DL and Blu-ray SL or DL depending on the size of the Movie. :cool: