Problem with bitsetting booktyping (Lite-On DH-20A4H)

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi I just brought the liteon DH20A4H IDE DVD Burner

I mainly like to you the use my drive for audio CD ripping and DVD extraction
also X**X360 backup of my purchased games and PC Game backup

I use verbatium and or sometimes memorex ritek media

I am unable to change the booktype/bitsetting on DVD+R DL media from +R to DVD-ROM. I used the liteon utility from they’re site and it doesn’t work.

Also how do I troubleshoot or test to see if the burner is making good error free copies, it seems as if It might not be burning disc’s properly.

so far i’ve only tried to change booktype bitsetting with ritek memorex media does it make a difference ?

If need be I have no problem buying a new drive but need some guidance as to which one to get if needed

Thanks in advance for any/all help

Are you sure you’re not confusing disc type with book type? Disc type will remain unchanged, and book type will show +R for blank media and show DVD-ROM after burn.

I’m trying to make a dvd+R DL disc report as a dvd-ROM -R after the burn so that it looks like a DVD-ROM -R to the game console.

If I put a blank DVD+R DL in the liteon dvd burner and open the liteon utility from liteon and set it to dvd-rom then close that and burn a disc image in clonecd will the final burnt disc report as a dvd-rom and not a dvd+R k media

on my previous liteon dvd burner the 1693s it used to change the booktype to dvd-rom and it would say sucessful in the liteon utility and then when I did an inquary it would show it as a dvd-rom in the utility before the burn.

am I doing it right or is this drive not compatible with booktyping ? or does it depend upon the dvd blank media maker brand

i’ve tried only ritek memorex dvd+r DL so far

[QUOTE=phool;2157530]I’m trying to make a dvd+R DL disc report as a dvd-ROM -R after the burn so that it looks like a DVD-ROM -R to the game console.

If I put a blank DVD+R DL in the liteon dvd burner and open the liteon utility from liteon and set it to dvd-rom then close that and burn a disc image in clonecd will the final burnt disc report as a dvd-rom and not a dvd+R k media

on my previous liteon dvd burner the 1693s it used to change the booktype to dvd-rom and it would say sucessful in the liteon utility and then when I did an inquary it would show it as a dvd-rom in the utility before the burn.

am I doing it right or is this drive not compatible with booktyping ? or does it depend upon the dvd blank media maker brand

i’ve tried only ritek memorex dvd+r DL so far[/QUOTE]

What software are you using to booktype the DL media? Maybe take a read on this thread
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/#media-smart_burn

Download this http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/utilities/SmartBurn351.zip
and see if this will booktype your drive to format dvd+R or DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM and then save it. This is the utility from liteon that I use to set my booktype for my 20A4H drive. Also make sure your firmware is updated as well.

Read and follow instructions at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/f-q-liteon-optical-drives-revised-28-april-2007-a-109986/#media-bs. With 1693 and older models it was necessary to change book type each time the system is restarted unless Omin-Patcher is used to permanently set the default book type. With all newer drives book type remains set to what it was last changed, and it’s not necessary to run the utility each time unless book type change from last setting is desired.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2157696]Read and follow instructions at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/f-q-liteon-optical-drives-revised-28-april-2007-a-109986/#media-bs. With 1693 and older models it was necessary to change book type each time the system is restarted unless Omin-Patcher is used to permanently set the default book type. With all newer drives book type remains set to what it was last changed, and it’s not necessary to run the utility each time unless book type change from last setting is desired.[/QUOTE]

Not with the 20A1H you just insert a DVD+R media into the drive and use the software I linked to you to change the drive booktype to DVD-ROM. Save the setting and from now on it should stay at DVD-ROM only time you have to reset the booktype is when you firmware update and go through the process to reset the booktype to DVD-ROM again. I know this cause I owned and used the same 20A1H model the OP has and this program will make the drive correctly set the booktype. My older 832S will set the booktype with the liteon software but you have to set it each time you restart from cold or warm boot.

It’s puzzling the 20A1H would be different than other LiteOn models for the Book Type Utility. FYI you should be able to use the Omni-Patcher to permanently set book type for models older than 1693 including the 832S.