Problem with Asus bw-16d1ht

vbimport

Gotta problem with a brand new Blu-ray burner I’ve purchased here. I had a pretty sizable amount of data I needed to backup to bring to a new PC. Around 150GB. Bought a Blu-ray burner, ASUS bw-16d1ht, and made 6 data discs using Verbatim BD-R LTH. When I burned them everything seemed fine. Then I got rid of the old PC. I built the new one and I brought over the Blu-ray burner I had just purchased from the old PC.

When I’m trying to read the data discs I made it doesn’t work. I select all the files then tell Windows7 to copy them. When it starts it seems to be able to read them but then it always stops at the 5% mark and it can’t read the files anymore. I can’t bring over ANY files, small or big. Those data discs were made by the same drive. How could it not be able to read them? Are BD-R LTH supposed to be a problematic format? I googled for this but couldn’t find anything.

Oh and I also tried the copy command of my PS3 but it also fails halfway. It seems to be the discs. The reviews on newegg for Verbatim BDR LTH are kinda bad. I’m wondering if there’s anything else I can try to retrieve the data.

So this is my questions.

1. Is this drive (ASUS bw-16d1ht) supposed to be problematic? Does it have a good reputation?

2. Are the Verbatim BD-R LTH reliable media?

3. What advice would you give me to retrieve the data?

4. Are there other drives out there that perform better in general? Is there a blu ray drive currently sold that’s supposed to be good at reading hard-to-read disks? I wouldn’t mind investing in a new drive if it can help me save my data.

It is a mixture of two things:

1. It is best to avoid LTH media. Most burners don’t particularly like LTH media and its quality and compatibility with other drives is on the problematic side… probably the one you’ve got happens to be of poor quality… All in all, I would not associate the word reliable with LTH media.

2. Your drive is basically a BH16NS40 rebadge, and these drives unfortunately are not the best ones out there when it comes to burn quality. Aside of a few MIDs they like, and which they burn very well (some CMC media) they generally give lower burn quality results than other burners, sometimes quite substantially lower …

As for trying to recover your data, try reading the media in other BluRay drives, LiteOn or Pioneer or others … other drives might be better readers and/or posses better error correction capabilities than your drive and as a result allow you to recover more (or if lucky all) of your data from the affected discs. Perhaps try using some software recovery utility for optical media which forces optical drives to read discs very slowly, in order to boost their reading ability and recover more of the data.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees here, it all depends just how bad the burn quality was on each of those discs…

Hey thanks for the reply. At least I have a better idea of what went wrong. I think I’ll invest in a new drive. Not sure which one though. I’ll google some more.

Hi there [B]cvs[/B]

I just ordered online this drive, although I knew it weren’t the best one out there, mainly due to the price (less than 35Euros :slight_smile: ). I was planning on using either verbatim or TY DB-R with it (usually work the best), but after seeing your post I got a bit worried.

CMC media you say? That’s pretty strange, I know I’ve not been around much but in the past CMC was equivalent to a coaster most of the time. Which ones exactly (mediacode?)? I went through this thread but maybe I missed them?

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2724667]Hi there [B]cvs[/B]

I just ordered online this drive, although I knew it weren’t the best one out there, mainly due to the price (less than 35Euros :slight_smile: ). I was planning on using either verbatim or TY DB-R with it (usually work the best), but after seeing your post I got a bit worried.

CMC media you say? That’s pretty strange, I know I’ve not been around much but in the past CMC was equivalent to a coaster most of the time. Which ones exactly (mediacode?)? I went through this thread but maybe I missed them?[/QUOTE]

Have a look here for an example: http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-bh16ns40-wh16ns40-bh16ns48-330609/index7.html#post2709859

[QUOTE=cvs;2724680]Have a look here for an example: http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-bh16ns40-wh16ns40-bh16ns48-330609/index7.html#post2709859[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the quick reply [B]cvs :slight_smile:

[/B]I saw herethat the Verbatim wiith the CMCMAGBA5 media code worked well for you so I can start with these. I’ve found the 25 spindle here but I was wondering whether the 50 spindle uses the same media (here) - have you used these before? They can also be the regular verbatim I suppose. It is the first BD recorder drive I own so I am not familiar with the media yet.

And btw is there any unofficial firmware by the guys for this drive that improves media compatibility (or cross-flashing it to LG) or should I go for whatever Asus has officially released?

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2724701]I’ve found the 25 spindle here but I was wondering whether the 50 spindle uses the same media (here) - have you used these before? [/QUOTE]

I haven’t used the 50pk variety I’m afraid … knowing Verbatim, it is entirely possible that those will come with a different MID…

EDIT: Just spotted a post from katraine (here: http://club.myce.com/f87/verbatim-6x-question-pioneer-drive-335806/) saying that Verbatim Datalife 43804, 43811, 43812 all use the CMCMAG BA5 MID, so you might want to aim for one of these … it looks like the 43812 ones use the CMC MID.

As with most BluRay drives nowadays, there are no unofficial/custom/patched firmwares available at all for these drives.

Crossflashing is possible… details in this thread (see ‘method 3’): http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-bw-12b1st-rebadged-lg-bh14ns40-version-not-liteon-ihbs112-version-335096/

ASUS is a disaster lately when it comes to releasing firmware updates. LG has released two updates for the BH16 series since the drive’s release, so by crossflashing you gain access to the latest firmwares and all the improvements they bring, including better media support.

If you contemplate crossflashing, just make sure that you do a firmware dump before crossflashing, otherwise you won’t be able to revert back to ASUS (because ASUS haven’t released any firmware updates for this model yet). A raw firmware dump (which requires manual processing before it can be flashed back) can be done with DevilsClaw’s Flasher, or give Dosflash a go (it might produce a full dump), or do both …

Even if not crossflashing, it would be great if you could do a dump anyway using both Flasher and Dosflash and share them with us :slight_smile:

Thanks for the excellent advice, I already ordered the 50 pack - I’ll verify the MID and will also let you know how it goes with the cross-flash when I receive the drive.

I finally got the Pioneer 209DBK because they run out of stock with the Asus drive, it is probably better since judging by its predecessors the 209 will have better media support.