Problem with 851S

vbimport

Hello-

I have a 851S that I tried to flash to a 832S, but now won’t make any useful burns.

I tried using several different firmware versions, and all result in results like this:

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S
Firmware: CG5G
Disc: DVD+R (MCC 003)
Selected speed: 4 X
PI errors
Maximum: 18
Average: 2.02
Total: 15041
PI failures
Maximum: 8
Average: 0.01
Total: 48
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning statistics
Elapsed time: 12:10
Number of samples: 90839
Average scanning interval: 1.33 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

It’s gotten to the point where Nero reports data verification failed. I tried using the EEPROM utility to reset any previously “learned” data, but that didn’t help.

What should I do? Attempt to flash it back to the normal BIOS?

Thanks.

SB

@ StarbuckII

PI errors
Maximum: 18
Average: 2.02
Total: 15041
PI failures
Maximum: 8
Average: 0.01
Total: 48
Those look like great numbers to me! Do these discs have trouble playing? If so, post the kprobe chart, not the text summary, and describe your problem in more detail about what is and isn’t happening.

Here are some numbers from another DVD I just burned:

--------General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S
Firmware: GS0P
Disc: DVD+R (MCC 003)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 82
Average: 5.93
Total: 70376
PI failures
Maximum: 6
Average: 0.11
Total: 1237
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning statistics
Elapsed time: 12:44
Number of samples: 124141
Average scanning interval: 1.12 ECC
Glitches removed: 1

The DVD I posted last time failed Nero’s data verification. This recent one I burned at 4X.

I thought I read PI errors weren’t supposed to exceed 12, or something like that, and it says 1,237… I’m obviously confused then.

Thanks.

SB

Ugh. I see no way to edit posts, therefore I have to make a new reply for this.

KProbe reports this for the most recent DVD:

Date : 3/5/2005 3:45:49 PM
Model : 0-0-2-0 F:LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S GS0P
Disc : DVD+R , MCC003 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2324737
Sampling count : 127446
Errors : 3816
PI Max : 27
PI Average : 1.64
PI Total : 27693
PIF Max : 2
PIF Average : 0.02
PIF Total : 261

In case you haven’t noticed, I reflashed it back to 851.

@ StarbuckII
Help us help you and post the kprobe scan graphs, NOT just the numbers. Follow the ‘post’ link previously posted.

Flash to CG5G, reboot and use the EEPROM utility to ‘reset learnt media’, and back up your EEPROM while you are there, then reboot again. After that try another burn and post the graph of the kprobe scan done at 4x scan speed.

I pushed my luck and flashed to 832, and now I’m getting what appear to be bad burns. They are readable, and Nero was able to verify it though.

Edit:
Come to think of it, this doesn’t look that bad. I ran it before, and got PIFs into the upper 50’s. Then my computer crashed before I could save it, and when I ran it again, this is what I got.

The general rule is anything over Max. 280 for PI and 4 for PIF (aside from isolated spikes) is bad news. So your PI levels are OK, just not great and PIFs are definitely troublesome near the end.

Take a look at your blank DVDs before you burn them. Are there any inconsistencies (dark spots, uneven coloration, etc.)? Bad media is always a possibility, among other things.

Near the very outer edge of that DVD, there’s a tiny scratch, only visible when light is reflecting off of it. Could that be the reason for so many PIFs at the end? Or is it the opposite? Is the end of the graph the inner or outer area of the media?

This DVD I made using 851 firmware, burned at 4X. It looks quite good compared to what I’m getting now.

The drive writes from the inner to the outer aera, so the scratch could cause the problem you see.