Problem with 1693S

I’m having a problem that I can’t seem to solve. First here are my system specs. I’ve searched the forum and no luck finding a solution.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2 gigs DDR400
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI (nforce 4 SLI)
74 Gig Raptor
2 250 gig Maxtor dives in Raid 0
2 7800GTs in SLI
535 watt Enermax SLI power supply
2 1693s One is a 1693s and one is modded from a 16733

Ever since I put in the Gigabyte mobo (fried a msi when my old power supply gave out) I can’t seem to burn anything consistently. What I mean is, I can burn one or 2 dvds then the next one Nero will lock up. It will be burning and just get stuck. It’s also very inconsistent. One time it may freeze at 98%, another may freeze at 7%. That happens with both drives. DMA is enabled, I’ve tried both IDE connectors, new cables, a single drive on a single cable, etc. The only thing I haven’t tried is getting a brand new store bought cable. I’ve uninstalled the nvidia ide drivers and used the ms drivers, nothing.

Alcohol also gets errors. When I look at the logs it doesn’t give me any information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Congrats on your first post :slight_smile:

Are you using the latest version of Nero 6? What media are you using? You can use DVD Identifier or Nero CD-DVD Speed disc info, to get the Media Code.

I am using the latest version of nero and alcohol. Its Ritek R04 (001) is what CD-DVD speed says. The cake box says Ridata 16X DVD+R. Oh and I upgrade firmware to the latest one to see if that would help. I also tried the quality patched one.

Thanks

Does it still do the same thing when you burn that media at 8x, instead of 16x?

Yeah, I even tried 6x with a lock up. The same media burns very good on my 1653s in my work computer. Its wired, like last night, I burned 2 dvds and 2 cds with no problem using nero and alcohol. I then tied to burn a 3rd dvd resulting in a freeze up at 10% (it sat at 10% for 10 minutes before I rebooted), but after a reboot I was able to burn the same iso no problem.

Oh and both my raptor and raid volume has been defraged yesterday before I started burning.

Hmm, very odd. Has to be a weird timing issue or maybe even a powersupply issue, even though it’s new. It can be caused by the drive missing an IDE command or resetting during a burn. Maybe some sort of DMA timing issue. I take it you have the latest firmware in the drives? Sorry, I don’t know what else to suggest. Maybe someone else can think of something?

Does this drive work well with the ide to sata convertors? That’s my next option. I’m thinking of trying that.

I don’t know if this is pertinent, but a couple of weeks ago I installed a new dvd reader (AOpen 1648 Pro OEM) on my computer. In an absolutely casual manner, it caused freezing of windows when I tryied to read a disc. The only way I was able to solve this issue was to install this drive on an external box USB-2.

I tested the drive on my bros computer, with no issues. It seems that my computer simply refuses to work with this drive connected to IDE channels.

@ naytwan
Do you have the possibility to install these burners on another computer to see what happen?

LiteOn drives work well on SCSI IDE cards, so they should work okay on the SATA converter.

I’m going to bring one in to work and see if I can duplicate the problem here.

Please, post results.

O.K., the serial ata adapters did not work. My mobo would not see the Drive. So I removed everything from the IDE channel so there is nothing but the 1693S on the primary channel. This is what Alcohol said in the log file.

#############################################################################

####################### Dumping/Recording Progress Log #######################
22:41:40 Processor info: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ x 2 (2211MHz)
22:41:40 Memory Available to Windows: 2,096,612 KB
22:41:40 Memory Buffer size: 128 MB
22:41:40 Image file loading: D:\Temp\sp-stzrwapr\sp-stzrwapr.iso
22:41:40 DVD Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 1, Length: 1.91 GB / 222:44:36
22:41:44 (E:) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S(2:0): Recording Method/Speed
22:41:44 Recording - DVD DAO - 6.4X (8864 KB/Sec)
b LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S(2:0) - Media format: DVD+R
22:46:58 (E:) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S(2:0) - [Write ERROR] LBA: 256288, Length: 16
S:KEY - 06/28/00 - “Not Ready To Ready Change, Medium May Have Changed”
22:47:01 (E:) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S(2:0): Recording failed!
22:47:01 Error message: [06/28/00] - Not Ready To Ready Change, Medium May Have Changed
22:47:01 (E:) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S(2:0): Recording failed![/b]
22:47:01 Image file loading aborted!
22:47:03 Something is wrong with the recording procedure! Please check the log file and report any errors to Technical Support.
##############################################################################

Hmm, I think I fixed it. I deleted the aspi layer with forceaspi, then I uninstalled all my system drivers. I then reinstalled the drivers using the MS IDE drivers instead of the nvidia ones. I then reinstalled aspi layet 4.60 and all seems to be working.

BTW, what’s the best media for use with this drive?

@naytwan - i’d recommend Verbatim Datalifeplus, though MCC003 (8x +R) coded discs will only do 6x and 8x as the firmware only caters for those 2 speeds. i got mine doing 4x via omnipatcher but the drive wouldn’t do booktyping whatsoever and even swapped the drive for another 1693S. same problem so ditched the second 1693S and switched to LG drives. looks like there are some bad batches of this drive out there (i wasn’t the only one with this problem). also there are reports of people being unable to update the firmware on 1693S, i myself could only update by moving the drive to another pc and flashing there, then bringin it back. I just got unlucky with Lite-on’s this time… (my drives were manufactured June and August 2005) :doh: