Problem w/Doctor Zhivago (2003)

Having a problem backing up Doctor Zhivago the 2003 version, a British remake.
It works and is watchable but somewhat jumpy like a frame(s) are skipped. Audio is fine but the video isn’t smooth at all throughout the whole movie. I tried some different setting on disk 2 but it is is the same. I have had no trouble with any other DVD before or since and my setup is the same. I tried it it on both my internal and external writers and both were the same.

Has anyone else sucessfully copied this DVD set?

For those that haven’t seen it, it is much better than the original '65 film (pricey though) and I think, if my memory is correct, more true to the book.

JerryEl -

To avoid and confusion provide the Name and Version Number of the software you are using to make your DVD backup copies.

It has been discussed numerous times in both the CloneDVD and AnyDVD Forums that usually Skipping, Freezing or similar Playback Viewing problems is most likely caused by the use of poor quality blank DVD Media and/or old out of date obsolete DVD Burner Firmware or a combination of both.

Use a utility software program similar to DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com) or DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) and provide the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of your blank DVD Media and the Manufacture/Model/Firmware of your DVD Burner and Forum Members will review and be able to provide advise.

BeLooken

To avoid and confusion provide the Name and Version Number of the software you are using to make your DVD backup copies.

I think it’s safe to assume that posting in this forum CloneDVD that if not mentioned one is using the latest version of CloneDVD2, which I am. If not, it continually advises you to upgrade.

It has been discussed numerous times in both the CloneDVD and AnyDVD Forums that usually Skipping, Freezing or similar Playback Viewing problems is most likely caused by the use of poor quality blank DVD Media and/or old out of date obsolete DVD Burner Firmware or a combination of both.

Yes, I know, I’ve read most of the forum and also searched for “Zhivago”.
But this is not your “normal” skipping caused from the above. It is still watchable for most people who may not even perceive it but is noticeable more so in faster motion shots like when a train goes by. Like I said I think it may just be this US distrubution and I’ll see if I can return the set for a new one and re-copy. I wasn’t seeking technical help, just wondering if others had a problem with this region 1 boxed set.

Both DVD writers have the latest firmware as advised on this forum and others.

@ JerryEl,

Asking the Name and Version Number of the software you are using to make your DVD backup copies is not a trivial matter. It is not safe to assume that a Forum Member making a posting in the CD Freaks CloneDVD Forum is actually using the latest current up to date Elaborate Bytes/SlySoft CloneDVD2 software program.

Unfortunately there are two software programs used to make backup copies of Commercial DVD Movies that are named CloneDVD. There is a rip off copycat Clone DVD software product marketed by Clonedvd Net (http://www.clonedvd.net) and the original Elaborate Bytes/SlySoft CloneDVD2 (http://www.slysoft.com) software program. That is why you were asked to provide the Name and Version Number of the software program you are actually using which you still did not provide. Perhaps you should review the CloneDVD Forum Read First posting titled “CloneDVD Elby/Slysoft” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=199324) for amplifying information concerning this topic.

Either your problem is caused by the use of the use of poor quality blank DVD Media or you have chosen to use excessive transcodeing compression (more that 80%) during the CloneDVD2 backup copy process. Since you chose not to provide the information concerning the MID of your blank DVD Media and have not provided the percentage of transcodeing compression used in CloneDVD2 it is not possible to know exactly what is causing your problem with your backup copy of Doctor Zhivago (2003).

This is a Technical oriented Forum and individuals posting in this Forum are assumed to be seeking Technical Assistance. That is the basic fundamental propose of this Forum.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the reply and the “forum lesson”.
After further investigation I’ve figured out the problem is with playing the copies with PowerDVD7 on my secondary monitor (Gateway FPD2185W) 21" wide screen. I’ve had a lot of trouble with using it as a secondary monitor (it doesn’t like being 2nd, :slight_smile: ).

However, it just started doing that ‘skipping’ since I originally had it as the primary monitor and I haven’t figured out why yet. Mixing wide screen monitors in a multi-monitor setup with a standard 4:3 LCD monitor with the ATI9600 card causes lots of problems but I thought I had them worked out. Gateway says you have to move the EZtune software window over to their monitor to make adjustments but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. I suspect the software isn’t designed for it to be the secondary monitor unless all monitors are identical.

Anyway the disks play fine on a standalone DVD player and TV.