Problem w/Backup - CloneDVD/AnyDVD

I recently bought a 2-DVD set of a old super bowl. I guess it was made from either a laser disc or maybe one of the tape formats. Anyway, because it’s 30+ years old (the game) I wanted to make an archive backup just in case. I put it in my NEC DV-5700A drive, and immediately a message pops up that AnyDVD 5.8.3.1 failed to read the DVD because of several possible reasons:

1. Media is dirty (it’s flawless).
  2. DVD is damaged (its flawless).
    Your drive is a region locked RPC2 drive, try to read a DVD from another region (all my original DVDs and some copies work). Also notes to try patching firmware.
  3. Your drive is a RPC2 drive that has no region assigned to it.

Now, I put the DVD in my burner drive (NEC-3500AG) and the DVD plays. So I’ll admit I’m not that technically oriented, so I was wondering what all this is about? I’ve flashed motherboard BIOS before, so should I be flashing the firmware on the player drive?

BTW, my pc is a dual MP setup, I’m running W2K.

Mike

Probably 3. Simply set your region code to your NEC DV-5700A. You can do this by using device manager:
Make sure that no DVD is in the drive while doing this, otherwise AnyDVD will emulate a drive with the correct region!

right click “My Computer” -> manage. Pick Device Manager on the left.
Double-click “DVD/CD-ROM drives”. Pick your NEC DV-5700A. Right click on it, select “Properties”. Click the Region Tab. Check the region. Set your Region.

Make sure that no DVD is in the drive while doing this, otherwise AnyDVD will emulate a drive with the correct region!

Hey Tru…

I followed your instructions except I don’t have a region tab since I’m using W2K/SP4. In the advanced settings you can select a country, and the USA is one of many, but they do not list specific regions nor do they explain this. There’s a grey’d out spot under the Region 1 line and there’s also a comment that you can change regions 4 more times.

I selected the United States and it set the 2nd line as Region 1. I exited all that and then tried to play that same DVD, got the same message.

So the question is; what region should I be set to, and if my DVD player drive & DVD Burner Drive is set to Region 1 is that bad/wrong?

TIA!

Doc