Problem w/811s, 851s

vbimport

Hey everyone,
I’m new here.

When I play a dvd, it will periodically pause and then continue. So, I did a test rip and it did the same thing when I played the movie from my hdd. I am trying to figure out if its my computer or the burner. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

If you experience the same problem when playing the movie after it’s been ripped to your HDD, then it’s not a problem with your burner. Something wrong with your system’s playback.

You may wish to check your processor load, memory load, video capabilities, etc.

Good luck.

Originally posted by sliu33
[B]Hey everyone,
I’m new here.

When I play a dvd, it will periodically pause and then continue. So, I did a test rip and it did the same thing when I played the movie from my hdd. I am trying to figure out if its my computer or the burner. Anyone know what the problem might be? [/B]

Is it a malay dodgy perhaps?

I know my brother got a pirate DVD, oops, I mean DVD backup from overseas which had a few short pauses.

It could just be a problem with the original recording, rather than the disc or your computer. Have you tried it on any DVD players?

If it remains, could be several factors.

Most likely is CPU load. Do you have system restore running, or any other programs that start at boot and run in the background?

Perhaps Windows is defragging your HD’s in the background? Windows update running?

I dont see how it could be the system. I recently had it built and the requirements are more than enough.

No pirated versions from who knows where. I tested an original and a copied dvd.

I dont have any other programs running in the background to my knowledge.

It baffles me. :sad:

[B]I dont see how it could be the system. I recently had it built and the requirements are more than enough.

No pirated versions from who knows where. I tested an original and a copied dvd.

I dont have any other programs running in the background to my knowledge.

It baffles me. :sad: [/B]

It always amazes me how many PC builders install current technology and forget to turn on all the performance enhancements that it brought with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Ensure that DMA is on for all drives.
Right click “My computer” ->properties->hardware->Device manager->IDE ATA/ATAPI devices

Then select each channel (primary and secondary) and check the properties of each (right click->properties)

If it doesn’t say “UDMA2/3/4/5/6” or at least “Multiword DMA mode X” then you are in trouble.
If you have “Pio modeX”, select “DMA if available” and then restart.

Check your bios to ensure that they you have UDMA turned on :slight_smile:
(usually delete key when first post screen shows up) :slight_smile:

If it’s all using DMA and is still slow then …

Click Start->run
Type “dxdiag” and enter :slight_smile:
Then run thru all the tests to ensure that Directx is installed correctly.

Other than that, try updating your video card and sound card drivers :slight_smile:

If it still doesn’t work, try changing your IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers to microsoft standard IDE drivers, and then ensure that everything is using DMA :slight_smile:

If it skips in the exact same spot even after you’ve ripped and watched it from the HD, it’s a problem with the movie files or a problem with the original disc.

Does it happen with every movie or just this one in particular?

What program did you use to rip/transocde the orignal disc? I would try again and/or try a different program to rip or trancode the CD. If you haven’t yet give DVD Shrink a try (see my sig for link to guide).

Here is what I have figured out…

Its not the burner that is the problem. I changed my current video card with an old gforce 32mb and the dvds played/burned smoothly, thats with an analog output. But when I tested with a digital output, it causes playback to pause (this is after testing 2 of the same ati 9600 128mb). Its not consistent. It happens whenever it pleases.

No idea what is going on.

Looks like it might be a driver issue then. Have you tried different ATI drivers & settings?

[B]Here is what I have figured out…

Its not the burner that is the problem. I changed my current video card with an old gforce 32mb and the dvds played/burned smoothly, thats with an analog output. But when I tested with a digital output, it causes playback to pause (this is after testing 2 of the same ati 9600 128mb). Its not consistent. It happens whenever it pleases.

No idea what is going on. [/B]

Given that it’s an ATI card, methinks it’s the driver.
I have a similar issue with a radeon9000 :p, but when playing games, it’ll just skip a frame or two (to catch up :confused: ).

Methinks you should contact ATI about it, or check to see if there’s a fix for it:)

Also check the ATI FAQ’s to see if the problem is well known, and there is a work around/ previous driver version / patch for it :slight_smile:

The advanced display settings could need some adjusting as well.

I’m no expert when it comes to adjusting the video properties. i would begin to know, which tabs, I should change. Have any suggestions? ATI’s website does have some known issues with DVI. But it seems that Nvidia promotes DVI/AMD Athlon use more than ATI. I will probably have to switch to Nvidia.

I’m no expert when it comes to adjusting the video properties. i would begin to know, which tabs, I should change. Have any suggestions? ATI’s website does have some known issues with DVI. But it seems that Nvidia promotes DVI/AMD Athlon use more than ATI. I will probably have to switch to Nvidia.

You could, but then you won’t learn anything, and you can’t keep changing cards, just cos of a small problem. It may very well be DMA, or perhaps a software conflict in your system, in which case you will have forked out hundreds of dollars on a new video card for nothing.

But, as you wish…

shrugs