Problem using DVD fab6

hi there,
trying to copy “The Blue Planet” (which is copy protected according to Nero) so i tried again using dvd shrink, same result. downloaded dvd fab 6, put the dvd into the burner, got a message on the screen saying “error while reading please choose what to do” - first i chose ignore, and the program seemed to crash (i could hear the dvd spinning then stop then spin then stop etc) so started again, chose “skip” and the same thing happened. getting nowhere! wsorry if this is a dumb question but what do i do please??:sad:

[QUOTE=buccarasta;2407019]hi there,
trying to copy “The Blue Planet” (which is copy protected according to Nero) so i tried again using dvd shrink, same result. downloaded dvd fab 6, put the dvd into the burner, got a message on the screen saying “error while reading please choose what to do” - first i chose ignore, and the program seemed to crash (i could hear the dvd spinning then stop then spin then stop etc) so started again, chose “skip” and the same thing happened. getting nowhere! wsorry if this is a dumb question but what do i do please??:sad:[/QUOTE]

Have you tried cleaning the disc ? also you can go into common settings and set PathPlayer as “Always Enabled”…
Click on the check mark located in the upper right corner on the titlebar and once in common settings look on the left side you’ll see the word “PathPlayer” just click on it to open it’s settings page after you set it as always enabled you will not get that pop up message :slight_smile:

However with the dvd spinning then stop then spin then stop in your drive sounds like your drive may be going bad, but I could be wrong.

thanks. will try on another laptop. when you say common settings do you mean on dvd fab 6? cos when it opens up it goes straight in to checking the dvd and doesnt give me any opportunity to alter ANY settings

Try changing the settings before putting the disc in.

have now installed both dvd shrink and dvd fab 6 on the new laptop (acer only 6 months old). again shrink wouldnt burn the dvd, and fab 6 scanned it then told me error 102, and stopped the process

Change pathplayer setting to disable and try again please

sorry for my pig ignorance but how do i do that please

They only have descriptive popups for some of the icons/buttons, so you have to play around with it a little and see what they do. Then you’ll probably soon discover…
-click the check mark near top right of Fab
-find PathPlayer (about midway) in lefthand column and click it
-tick the Disable PathPlayer spot

have done that, disabled the pathway. restarted then ran the program, got the “error while reading please choose what to do” message.
So went in to the pathway again and clicked the “always enabled” box, re started, and got the 102 error. bugger!

Will the disc play OK on one of your computer drives, or on a standalone DVD player? Try playing it through completely. If it won’t play, then it sounds like a dirty or damaged/marginal disc. Hold it up to the light and look for cracks or dents in the playing surface, sometimes tiny and difficult to see, which will render it unplayable. Also deep scratches or skuff marks.

Again, did you try cleaning the disc? How? I use liquid dish detergent under running warm water and my thumbs, rubbing from the inside hub to the outer edge in a straight line, going around the disc in that fashion. Then blot (don’t rub) dry with paper towels. Then hold it up to the light and look for surface blemishes. Occasionally there will be a tiny black speck of dirt that’s difficult to dislodge. Or tiny pieces/patches of adhesive from the disc label or jacket, so perhaps you’ll have to try a solvent such as alcohol or acetone to clean it (but try on a worthless disc first, to see if it damages it). Give that your best try.

Having done everything possible to clean it, you can try again with Shrink and Fab. If no go, you can also try RipIt4Me, which sometimes rips marginal discs for me which nothing else will. I have mine set to open/close the tray whenever it finds an unreadable error. It will retry for a long time, perhaps 100 tries, before asking you what to do.

If still no joy, the only other thing I know to try different drives. I have two drives connected, Lite-On and LG. The Lite-On frequently craps out with CRC errors with dirty or marginal/damaged discs. The same discs usually read OK with my LG drive.

Note that after trying to read a damaged disc, your computer may put the drive(s) into non-DMA mode. Reading/ripping discs may not work correctly thereafter no matter what you do. So you might try the following utility script to reset to DMA mode:
http://winhlp.com/node/10
Then restart your computer a couple of times and try ripping a known good disc, to verify that it’s working correctly again.

ok will try all that. have cleaned it and have watched it both on the laptop and tv all the way thru no probs. will also try the ripit4me. thanks for all the pointers! will ge back to you;)

Forgot to mention that sometimes the Main Movie option will rip OK with Fab when the Full Disc option doesn’t work. You can also try this with Shrink in reauthor mode, provided the disc is recognized OK initially.

Occasionally I’ve been successful just by being stubborn… Remove then replace the disc in the tray and try again, on the theory that maybe it will work eventually. Sometimes I’ve had success after 25-50 such tries, especially with Shrink.

FWIW, unless I forget, I always run FixVTS on my ripped movies before burning them, especially if Fab was involved. This will sometimes fix glitches which Fab misses, especially at the start of the disc. But you must have a successful rip first to work on…

In my career I’ve ripped about 1,100 DVD movies and was eventually able to succeed with all of them, except 1. (Of course some of the discs were damaged beyond repair/retrieval, and had to be replaced before they could be ripped.) It was an episodic disc with a strange structure of British origins, and only RipIt4Me could rip it. The result was 95%+ playable in normal fashion, but there was a minor quirk/trick needed to access one of the episodes. I eventually concluded that the release disc design had a built-in defect, maybe unintentional(?). It reminded me of the old floppy disc protections where the disc would only read/run correctly if it contained a special defect, so the defect had to be included in copies or they wouldn’t work.

Good luck! If you can’t succeed, you can send your info to Fab and maybe they’ll fix it.